× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

How to disable auto-power-on when Nighthawk M1 is connected to USB

EliMadden
Initiate

How to disable auto-power-on when Nighthawk M1 is connected to USB

My Nighthawk M1 automatically turns on when I connect it to a USB port that's active. This is a problem in my vehicle because sometimes I don't want it on, but the power goes off and on with the ignition. Is there a way to disable this?

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 6
MAGADE
Guide

Re: How to disable auto-power-on when Nighthawk M1 is connected to USB

It will be a good feature in future update.

May netgear tech team work on this feature (like a option in web interface)

Message 2 of 6
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi EliMadden,

Sorry there is no way to turn off the USB port on the M1. I will forward this idea to my internal team to review for consideration. :]

- Jason N

Message 3 of 6
EliMadden
Initiate

I don't want to turn off the USB port. I just want the Nighthawk to NOT turn itself on when the USB port is connected to power after not being connected to power.

This is not only a problem in my car, but also when I bring it in and connect it to a charger I don't want it to turn itself on, I just want it to charge.

Basically, just don't have the device turn itself on. I want to control it with the power button.

Message 4 of 6
KarmusDK
Apprentice

I want this feature too. It is really hard to turn off the device for offline charging when the battery is low, and you have to wait for 30 mins, because it doesn't work unless the screen is lit and booted, while you are not having a notification. Furthermore you risk the screen turning of while you hold the button down, and then it doesn't work. The screen has to be on while you hold the button, is my experience. And you can't turn it off while it is charging with a clock symbol beneath a low battery symbol. This should really be fixed, because it wastes energy to have the screen turned on constantly while charging.

To make the matter even more worse, after waiting steadily for it to boot, sometimes it hangs on boot-up with the NETGEAR logo (and you still can't shut it off!!), because of low power, so you pull the plug and put it back in, and once again you have to wait for the scenario to eventually repeat itself. You can take out the battery, boot it up and shut it off, but if you insert the battery afterwards, it stays off and won't charge. If you insert the battery while it is on, it will go black immediately and become unresponsive until you reinsert the USB cable.

Message 5 of 6
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi EliMadden & KarmusDK,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will forward this idea to my internal team for review of consideration. :]

- Jason N

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7