× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

I have a Netgear M6Pro 5G modem router getting my internet from server provider

Charwend
Aspirant

I have a Netgear M6Pro 5G modem router getting my internet from server provider

I have also had this problem ever since I purchased the RAX120 a couple of months ago. Netgear has even replaced the RAX120-100AUS.

I was using my Netgear M5,5G modem router. So, I upgraded to the M6 Pro and still have the same problem. It seems the problem must be with Netgear as found a similar problem with the M5. Reboot and speeds comes back. Netgear needs to fix this issue as they brag, it is said to be one of the best. I have my doubts now and would hate to have to purchase some other brand as expected all Netgear would be compatible with its own products. This is the reason I have kept with Netgear. I need to reboot my M6Pro every couple of days to stop any problems. Looks like this has been a problem for some years now and still no fix......

Message 1 of 3
Charwend
Aspirant

Re: I have a Netgear M6Pro 5G modem router getting my internet from server provider

Hi Plemans,

Appreciate your information re the RAX120.

I have a Netgear M6Pro 5G modem router getting my internet from server provider.

Normal internet speeds anywhere between 600 - 800 upload 45 - 70 download. After a day or so they drop in half and sometimes drop out.

My PC is directly connected to the RAX120.

Setup is M6Pro modem router connected to RAX120 and then to Netgear Extender AX1800 set in access point in the lounge room.

First installed the Ax1800 to give better wifi connection in lounge room.

I have tried the passthrough on the M6Pro, but every few days when the service provider changes the IP address it drops out. and I need to reboot the modem or the router.

Seems every time I make a change problems seem to creep in.

Have tried the new firmware floating about, but rolled it back as it made things worse.

My Windows 10 also creates a default gateway error after a while.

I don’t see the sense of creating another access point out of perfectly good router.
After many attempts with Netgear support, not much luck with help. Still waiting on a reply.

What you have written is the first time I have seen someone make any sense. (No offence to others)
You make mention of a setup in putting the Netgear IP address into its DMZ.

If you have the time, could you please explain the process on the RAX120.

I have some IT knowledge, but now heading for 70 and appreciate the help.

If you need anymore info please let me know

Kindest Regards
Charlie

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: I have a Netgear M6Pro 5G modem router getting my internet from server provider

(my prior post disappeared and I can't remember what I wrote so bear with me if I repeat things)

So right now, if you're using the M6 Pro and the RAX, you're running 2x routers and it causes a double nat. 

If you only use the M6 pro to supply internet to the RAX but its passthrough mod isn't functioning properly, I would use the access point mode on the RAX. It'll still work fine but you'll miss out on some services (I'll link to disabled services at bottom). But the M6 should still run most of them through its own router options. So I'd try going M6 in router mode then RAX120 in ap mode (make sure its wifi is on a different channel and it has a different ssid) and the connect the extender to the RAX. Your network should still work and when the M6 gets new ip info, it should auto-assign that to the RAX. I've done something similar when I was trialing a hotspot-router setup at my parents place. 

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7