× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

The fan in the JGS524v1 is making excessive noise.

Guzzialfa
Tutor

The fan in the JGS524v1 is making excessive noise.

I see much of Netgear's offerings have Lifetime warranties. Does that include the v1 of the JGS524?
The fan is making excessive noise. Considering O bought it when it was on sale for over $250, I suspect it's a v1 of the unit. I can give a good photo or two of the front panel. My question is does anyone know what fan I can get to replace it? Is it wired to the board directly or are there wires or plugs that make it solder less? Is it possible this probably 15 year old model is serviceable under a lifetime warranty? Cannot find a serial number on the front or back panels. It's rack mounted to a wall so if its coming down its to replace it or have it serviced. Now the serious question is there any model in their product line that is seriously better? I'm close to using all 24 ports so don't think I need to go to 48. I see them on Amazon for around $100. So guess this is part 4 of the question. Is purchasing through Amazon a mistake for these products? Does it effect warranty?

Thank you all for any potential support for this old network switch.

Model: JGS524v1|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit Rackmount Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Guzzialfa
Tutor

Re: The fan in the JGS524v1 is making excessive noise.

For anyone faced with a similar problem with the v1 of the JGS524 Prosafe Switch, here is the solution. A replacement fan is available from DigiKey and others. It is a fan axial 40x20.mm 5VDC with 2 wires. Mfg Part # EFB0405LD, which is also DigiKey's Part#. It's from Delta Electronics. The two bare wires need the plug from the original. Carefully pull the leads out of the bad fan, clip off the end with the plug and tin each lead halves, solder together with your replacement fan using heat shrink tubing to protect the solder joints. Be sure to mind polarity as you want the fan blowing in the same direction! This fan is plugged into the main board and bolted to the chassis so be sure to save all the original bolts! Warning the chassis bolts are small Philip's heads and very tiny so don't lose them. Push the new leads back into the original plug to seat, again being careful to mind the original polarity. The plug is keyed so it can only go back in to the chassis one way. Now lets hope you get another 15 years of useful life out of your otherwise reliable JGS524V1. Now that I have a JGS524V2, which has a lifetime warranty, my original JGS524V1 will be plugged in to be used should the V2 unit ever need a warranty replacement should Netgear not cross ship a replacement product. Better to have a 2 hour downtime to 2 weeks, right? I consider this reply to be a solution to the problem I reported. DaneA gave me the answers to the other questions but I had to find an answer to my original problem of is the fan plugged in or soldered (plugged) and are spare fans parts available, (they are from other sources at quite reasonable prices making the repair viable and cost effective).
This completes the Q and A of all questions asked. Technician Heal Thy Own Equipment. DaneA, thanks for responding to all the other parts of my question.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Guzzialfa,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I see much of Netgear's offerings have Lifetime warranties. Does that include the v1 of the JGS524?
Is it possible this probably 15 year old model is serviceable under a lifetime warranty?

The JGS524v1 is already End of Life (EoL) many years ago.  I'm afraid that your JGS524v1 is not included in the Lifetime Hardware Warranty that is currently being implemented.  As reference, kindly check the article here.

does anyone know what fan I can get to replace it? Is it wired to the board directly or are there wires or plugs that make it solder less?

For me, since the fan of your JGS524v1 is making an excessive noise, I advise you to purchase a new 24-port unmanaged switch.  I recommend you the JGS524v2.  

If ever you insist on just replacing the fan, I will leave this forum post open to new replies so that if ever other community members have experienced replacing the fan on their JGS524v1, they could post their suggestion here on this forum thread.

Now the serious question is there any model in their product line that is seriously better? 

The latest model for the JGS524 switch that is available in the market today is the JGS524v2.  You can check the specifications of JGS524v2 on its data sheet here.

Is purchasing through Amazon a mistake for these products? Does it effect warranty?

Amazon is one of the Authorized NETGEAR Resellers.  As reference, check this link.  As for the warranty, even though the NETGEAR device is purchased from Amazon, it still follows what is indicated on the article here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Guzzialfa
Tutor

Thanks DaneA. I do have updates to share much of which I found on my own. I have purchased and received a JGS524 v2.0. Once I had it installed, I was able to take my v1.0 switch apart and found out the fan is indeed a plug and play device. I ordered the identical model fan from DigiKey for around $12+shipping. Since its bolted to the chassis, I didn't want to take a chance with alternate fans. Now I will have a spare switch that has served me well for 15 years. The fanless design of the 2.0 model with the increased buffers and lifetime warranty means a lot but being without a switch that serves so many devices wasn't something I wanted to do with out. Not for a $12 part that's for sure. I did get it from Amazon and promptly registered it with NetGear. The Lifetime warranty was a big factor in purchasing it over other brands from Cisco, Linksys and others. The support I couldn't get on a Sunday night with a 95 minute phone call turned me off a lot but the reliability of the product helped me make the decision. Thanks for the responses. It helps knowing I made the right decision anyhow.
Model: JGS524|24-port Gigabit Switch
Message 3 of 4
Guzzialfa
Tutor

For anyone faced with a similar problem with the v1 of the JGS524 Prosafe Switch, here is the solution. A replacement fan is available from DigiKey and others. It is a fan axial 40x20.mm 5VDC with 2 wires. Mfg Part # EFB0405LD, which is also DigiKey's Part#. It's from Delta Electronics. The two bare wires need the plug from the original. Carefully pull the leads out of the bad fan, clip off the end with the plug and tin each lead halves, solder together with your replacement fan using heat shrink tubing to protect the solder joints. Be sure to mind polarity as you want the fan blowing in the same direction! This fan is plugged into the main board and bolted to the chassis so be sure to save all the original bolts! Warning the chassis bolts are small Philip's heads and very tiny so don't lose them. Push the new leads back into the original plug to seat, again being careful to mind the original polarity. The plug is keyed so it can only go back in to the chassis one way. Now lets hope you get another 15 years of useful life out of your otherwise reliable JGS524V1. Now that I have a JGS524V2, which has a lifetime warranty, my original JGS524V1 will be plugged in to be used should the V2 unit ever need a warranty replacement should Netgear not cross ship a replacement product. Better to have a 2 hour downtime to 2 weeks, right? I consider this reply to be a solution to the problem I reported. DaneA gave me the answers to the other questions but I had to find an answer to my original problem of is the fan plugged in or soldered (plugged) and are spare fans parts available, (they are from other sources at quite reasonable prices making the repair viable and cost effective).
This completes the Q and A of all questions asked. Technician Heal Thy Own Equipment. DaneA, thanks for responding to all the other parts of my question.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements