× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: LAX20 Bridge mode

BHL315
Aspirant

LAX20 Bridge mode

I needed a LTE modem that had the possibility to operate in bridge mode,
so after some searching I came across this link:

https://kb.netgear.com/31163/How-to-change-4G-LTE-Modem-from-router-mode-to-bridge-mode

At that time it used to say that this article related to several of netgears products, including the LAX20. So I bought the LAX20, but this option was nowhere to be found in the routers settings.

When I looked at the same link today and it has changed and LAX20 is no longer
present in the list of routers that it applies to. See the old screenshot below.
bridgemode.PNG

So my question is, can I get this router to work in bridge mode or did I get ripped off?

Bridge mode meaning, in this case, to get the IP from the ISP to pass straight through the router to my Ubuquiti USG so the USG is not behind NAT, and my S2S VPN can start to function again.

The Netgear support has, sadly, been of no help, the guy doesn't even seem to understand what I'm trying to do despite weeks of writing back and forth.

Message 1 of 8
BHL315
Aspirant

Picture didn't seem to work, trying again.

Attatching it instead of putting it in the reply.

Message 2 of 8
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @BHL315

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Let me check on this. I will provide update once new information will be available.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 3 of 8
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @BHL315

I got an update from the team.

LAX20 does not support bridge mode for LTE. The LAX20 user manual has bridge mode instruction but that is for wireless bridge mode and not for LTE. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 4 of 8
BHL315
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer! Weird how the "regular" support could not give this information in a timely manner.

As you can clearly see in the picture, it previously stated that it in fact did have support for the kind of bridge I'm

looking for and that was the sole reason we went for this particular model (aside from 4G / LTE).

Now what?

I've been talking with the support for so long without getting this answer that I can no longer return it, it is sadly useless

for us at this point and I would like my money back. This has created months of problems for our small company.

Best regards

Message 5 of 8
Cybertax
Aspirant

Hi Blanca_O,

does the LAX20 support the so called WISP or EXTENDER Mode to take internet connection from a WIFI Hotspot and share it over the LAX20's own WIFI? If yes, is it possible over 2.4 GHz and/or 5 GHz?

Thank you for your help!

Ralph

Message 6 of 8
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Cybertax

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

You can wirelessly bridge LAX20 to another router to connect multiple devices at the faster WiFi speed. You can specify the settings of the other router to which this router will connection (2.4GHz or 5GHz). 

To know more, please check this reference: 
[page 87 - 88]

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/LAX20/LAX20_UM_EN.pdf 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 7 of 8
BHL315
Aspirant

Yeah, that is not what this thread is about at all, this is IP bridge / IP passthrough, in other words, IP Bridge mode, not wireless bridge, and that is something else completely.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7