× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

LAX20 "No Ethernet Cable is Plugged into the Router Internet Port"

WhiskerA
Aspirant

LAX20 "No Ethernet Cable is Plugged into the Router Internet Port"

Model: LAX20

Error: "No Ethernet Cable is Plugged into the Router Internet Port"

ISP: TPG Australia

Connection: NBN FTTN

I tried connecting via the app - "The app does not support your router model."

I tried connecting via my computer through routerlogin.net it couldn't connect.

I tried the default gateway IP 192.168.1.1. Connected to the router - phew!

I tried connecting to the internet the basic way. No luck.

I tried connecting with my ISP password, login, WAN IP Address and DNS addresses.

"No Ethernet Cable is Plugged into the Router Internet Port"

The cable was the one supplied. I swapped it for the one I'd been using with my previous router/modem. No change.

I reset all settings on the LAX20 and try installing again exactly as per the box with my old router. Still no internet through Netgear.

I'm at my wits end. What am I missing?

Any help is much appreciated.

Rgds

A

Message 1 of 4

Re: LAX20 "No Ethernet Cable is Plugged into the Router Internet Port"

Forgive me, but I am having a hard time understanding what the problem is.

Let's stary here.

@WhiskerA wrote:

Model: LAX20

Error: "No Ethernet Cable is Plugged into the Router Internet Port"

ISP: TPG Australia

Connection: NBN FTTN

Where do you see this error message and what are you trying to do?

Are you using the LAX20 with a SIM card, as intended? Or is there a modem somewhere in there?

FTTN implies that you are trying to connect to a wired network rather than a mobile network.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 4
WhiskerA
Aspirant

I'm having a hard time understanding the problem too. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

That error message comes up when I try to connect to the internet through the default gateway portal.

The router says it has an inbuilt modem and that it reverts back to the SIM when the wired connection fails. I don't have a SIM yet (lockdown) so I am trying to connect it to the wired connection. I tried that directly to the NBN - which failed miserably. Then out of frustration I tried connecting it to my existing modem (which I was trying to replace because it's slow if more than one device is connected) this also fails to connect.

Tbh I couldn't believe a router this new and expensive would also need a separate modem to function or that it wouldn't be NBN compatible. I've looked online for a compatible netgear wired modem (no wifi required) but they don't appear to sell those in Australia.

I'm thinking I'll have to send it back to the store and swap it for another brand as I'm not prepared to mix and match brands with my router and modem as the first thing any customer support will do is blame the other brand.

P.s. I have tried to input the model number but the system doesn't recognise it. Seeing as the app doesn't support the router either I'm guessing their system hasn't been updated. Not giving me a lot of faith in this brand.

Message 3 of 4

@WhiskerA wrote:

The router says it has an inbuilt modem and that it reverts back to the SIM when the wired connection fails.

Not in the manual I read.That is why it has a section "Cable your router and connect it to a modem".

The only modem in the thing is for the SIM connection.

@WhiskerA wrote:

I'm thinking I'll have to send it back to the store and swap it for another brand as I'm not prepared to mix and match brands with my router and modem as the first thing any customer support will do is blame the other brand.

Looks to me like you bought the wrong thing. You bought a router. You need a modem for your Internet service.

@WhiskerA wrote:

Tbh I couldn't believe a router this new and expensive would also need a separate modem to function or that it wouldn't be NBN compatible. I've looked online for a compatible netgear wired modem (no wifi required) but they don't appear to sell those in Australia.

It is expensive because you  bought an LTE device.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7