× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: LB1111 not starting after Poe power loss

rfx
Tutor
Tutor

LB1111 not starting after Poe power loss

When i power the LB1111 via PoE everything works fine as long as i done unplug the netwok-cable an replug it into the netwok port.

the lb1111 doesnot power on. i have to depress and press the power botton so that it powers on again.

the same problem occours when switch the power via the poe-switch off for a short period. or when the switch losses power or reboots.

is this a general problem with the device?

when attached to a 12v power-supply it immediately powers on after power-loss

Message 1 of 9

Anyone would have any comment on this point ?

I have the exact same issue, and I find this completely silly. One of the interest of PoE is to put the device into a "remote" location, ie not necessarily accessible (in my case in a waterproof casing, mounted on my external wall). And sometime we need to perform a power cycle to reset the device, which would be practical if I did not have to open the casing (climbing on a ladder) just to press/depress the power button.

I bought a PoE version precisely to allow external placement in the casing, I now have to use an external PoE injector (and it works fine in that case), but that requires a bigger box, and completely kills the point of having a PoE version.

Thanks for any comment

Message 2 of 9
rfx
Tutor
Tutor

I had to do an RMA. I have a second device so the problem was easy reproducable. The PoE part of the LB1111 seems to be crappy.

Message 3 of 9

So the unit you got in exchange did not exhibit this problem, or is this a problem which affects all LB1111 (and you simply got a refund) ?

If I go through Amazon to replace it, I might get another unit which exhibit the exact same behaviour ...

Regards

Message 4 of 9
rfx
Tutor
Tutor

The unit got exchanged and now it works.

i did googling before i contacted netgear and found some user-reports that the poe of the device seems sensitive to cable-length, cable-type,... 

But now my two units seem to work. 

But this does not help with the fact that the device is not a very good lte-modem. the signal on nearly any other device i have is way better.

Message 5 of 9

Thanks for this information, I'll check on my cabling

What other LTE modem are you using (if you are allowed to disclose it) ? 

Regards

Message 6 of 9
rfx
Tutor
Tutor

Huawei B593s-22

Far from perfect because it is not able to do bridging and does weird things with sip-traffic when you do not know how to configure it right but the weak-signal performance is much better. even with very strong signal i get better pings.

i also tried antennas on my lb1111 but i was not too impressed with the performance also. but this may also be the fault of the cheep cineese-type antenna.

LB1110/LB1111 is only an option when you need bridging - in my opinion. for that its a good device

Message 7 of 9

Thanks for these details

Yes I do need bridging, as I use the modem as a secondary ISP on a load balancing setup. I don't use the router part (although practically, given the LTE ISP operates as a double NAT, I could probably operate in a triple NAT setup, but I'd rather not test it).

I'll set it up in an external box, but it might be good to RMA the unit first

Message 8 of 9
rfx
Tutor
Tutor

if you connect it to a poe switch with a short cable (eg. 0.5m) id should light up within seconds. otherwise you should exchange ist.

my defect unit did start sometimes after many minutes. 

when its not starting within about 10s then you shold do a RMA.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7