× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: LB1120 Connect signal amplifier to antenna TS9?

Taylogc
Follower

LB1120 Connect signal amplifier to antenna TS9?

Is it acceptable to direct connect a signal booster (amplifier Wilson 4GDT) to the Modems antenna input (TS) ?

I have to utilize the Wilson amplifier in a rural area - currently have an outside panel antenna to the amplifier and an inside panel antenna - Currently have the Modem attached to the inside panel antenna (via velcro) - I have the correct cable to direct connect the amplifier to the modem but find conflicting information regarding the safety of doing so

Model: LB1120|4G LTE Modem
Message 1 of 6
squirlyboo
Aspirant

I would like to know as well. We have the nighthawk MR1100 and just got a Wilson Electronic outdoor antenna with 50 ohm cable and a nighthawk AC2300 router. We are in the boonies and I have NO idea what I am doing . I just know we need to get internet working for my sons school.

Message 2 of 6
Denzien
Aspirant

There are some amplifiers out there that are designed to connect to the modem directly so you can boost the signal of your LTE internet. Just shop around and do your homework first.

1) Have at least 1 to 2 bars outside of your house

2) Check to make sure the Amplifier your looking to purchase supports the bands on the LTE modem and your carrier

3) Check to see if you are going to need additional hardware to make the physical connections to the modem.

-External antenna (should be grounded to protect your device from power surge in case of lightning.)

-Additional cable or connectors

-Any extra installation via mounting, drilling, location access.

There are some instuctional guides and videos out there that can help get you started on what you can do on your own. I've heard WEBOOST has professional installation but I didn't look much into it. That could also be an option if your unsure what your dealing with.

I am currently looking to do the same thing as well because my kids also are doing school from home. If I find anything worth while I will post my findings here.

Message 3 of 6
Denzien
Aspirant

Just to update I did some research and made a purchase. I bought the Wilson Pro IOT 5 band amplifier to attach to my LB1120

Wilson Pro IOT 5-Band (Amazon.com)

SMA Female to TS-9 Y-Connector (Amazon.com)

• Easy to setup
  • Support Bands 2, 4, 5, 12. (Same as the LB1120)
  • Support Bands 2, and 5 under UTMS & HSPA+  3G fall back (Same as the LB1120)
  • IMPORTANT...you do need to purchase the Y adapter to plug into your modem antenna ports seperately.

I definitely had dbm and signal quality improvement and so far I don't have any complaints. I hope this helps and is an option for you.

my dbm went from -105 to -95 and my signal quality went from 45 to 53. I can't post more than one image in this forum apparently.

Model: LB1120|4G LTE Modem, R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 6
Denzien
Aspirant

Attached here are my results before and after installation

Message 5 of 6
Denzien
Aspirant

Update...I took the omni antenna out side and it improved my signal and quality even more so I am going to invest in a outdoor antenna. seems to be working well. My quality is in the 60's and my dbm improves to anywere between -93 to -88

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7