× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

LB1120 question: how to use "device data" instead of "hotspot data"

unidentified
Aspirant

LB1120 question: how to use "device data" instead of "hotspot data"

I have set up my LB1200 with a sim card from a cellular device on my unlimited plan that I wasn't using. On this plan, there are two ways of using data on each line - the dedicated data for the device itself and hotspot data. The device data is unlimited, then after a certain amount used it may be throttled down in times of network congestion. The hotspot data is technically unlimited, but is throttled to an absurdly low speed after a smaller amount of data usage is reached. I don't know much about LTE networking, and I'm not sure how these devices differentiate between these data streams, but obviously, I want to use the dedicated device data as the source of my LTE internet on my modem, not the limited and throttled hotspot data associated with the line. I assumed it would do this by default, but I found out that it had used all my hotspot data instead of using the device data. How, if this is possible, might I go about changing this? It isn't much use to me as it is now.

Note about my configuration: I'm using the modem in bridged mode so I can use my Netgear R6220 Wifi router as a DHCP server and have access to its more advanced features like port forwarding, QOS, etc. Not sure why this would have any effect on my issue, but it may be relevant, I suppose. 

Message 1 of 3
t3k4t4k
Initiate

Re: LB1120 question: how to use "device data" instead of "hotspot data"

You need to use custom firmware on a wireless router connected to the LB1120 that changes the TTL of the network traffic. Custom firmware is created for specific models of wireless routers only. Check out https://dd-wrt.com/

Message 2 of 3
unidentified
Aspirant

Re: LB1120 question: how to use "device data" instead of "hotspot data"

I'm familiar with DD-WRT firmware and would like to try it out. One question: How would changing the TTL switch from hotspot data to onboard data stream?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7