× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: LB1121 PoE voltage range?

Ahtir
Follower

LB1121 PoE voltage range?

Hi,

What is the supported PoE voltage range in LB1121?

How much power does it need when powerd by PoE?  

Regards,

Ahtir

Message 1 of 8
j4y
Guide
Guide

bump.. Netgear apparently has no idea how their own device's POE is suppose to work. 
What POE standard does the LB1121 use?  How many volts and amps are required of the POE injector for this thing to work and restart properly? 

Message 2 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

LB1121 uses the 802.3af PoE standard and should be able to work with PoE PD 37V to 57V.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 8
j4y
Guide
Guide

I should be able to confirm later today but I currently think the LB1121 uses 802.3at and is not fully compatible with the "af" standard.  

The unit clearly has problems and does not work properly with "af" injectors.  I have an "at" injector coming today to try. 

To add to this issue, check out my other thread about the same topic... 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/AirCard-LTE-Hotspots-Gateways/LB1121-POE/m-p/1330825#M2825

Netgear Tech support replied to my open ticket the other day. I specifically asked what POE standard the LB1121 requires and I got this response... 

"Good day. 

First of all, we would like to apologize for the delay here. We're still investigating this issue. We actually found something in its hardware part but we still need some more time for this so that we could workout a plan on how to resolve this. 

For your other question, please see the information below: 

1. It follows 802.3at type 1 PD 
2. Acceptable voltage range is 37V – 57V 
3. Max power consumption is less than 19W 

I would ask the engineers again for an update for this and I'd send you another message once I have some feedback from them. "   

So support is saying "at", a mod here is saying "af", the documentation just says "POE".  Ill report back later today once my "at" injector arrives.

Message 4 of 8
j4y
Guide
Guide

802.3at it is!  Both LB1121 units I have fired right up and are working perfectly so far running on a 802.3at POE injector.  Neither would power on consistantly with any other POE injector I have tried.

I think Netgear needs to update their documentation and send everyone who has experienced this issue a free 802.3at POE injector.  What a hassle it has been getting this figured out!

Message 5 of 8
tiredofcrap
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with a newly purchased unit.  Worked great out of the box, powered up just fine from my POE switch.  After installing an external antenna today and reconnecting - the unit wouldn't power up POE, but just fine on the 12vdc adapter.  What brand/model of POE injector did you purchase to make this work?

Message 6 of 8
j4y
Guide
Guide

I went with this 4 port model from Wifi-Texas. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZDF3LO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   I plan to use 2 or 3 POE devices so going with a multiport POE injector seemed like the way to go.  Its been working flawlessly since I set it up with 2 LB1121 units. 

I am pretty sure any POE injector that ahears to the 802.3at standard will work properly.  Most injectors/switches are 802.3af so be sure to get one that is for sure "at".  

What switch did you try to use with yours? Is it "at" or "af"? 

Message 7 of 8
tiredofcrap
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply -  my switch is a Tenda TEF1105P ( 5 Port w/4 POE IEEE 802.3af/at compatible).  It should work just fine - but it doesn't.  I've got another POE switch at work and will try and hook up the LB1121 to it and see what it does.  I don't have any other PD's, so I can't verify the switch didn't go bad on the antenna install.  http://www.tendacn.com/en/product/TEF1105P.html

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7