× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: LB2120 4G Modem on Visible prepaid cellular

caprock
Tutor

LB2120 4G Modem on Visible prepaid cellular

Have been using this modem with T-Mobile for several months and it works great!

I just purchased the budget Android phone, the Visible R2, and activated this new phone from Visible, a Verizon prepaid plan. After success working as a phone, I tried a simple SIM swap and can't seem to get it working.

Unit LedS

With the Visible SIM: the Power led is on, but all other leds are off, suggesting an 'Unknown Error'. 

Using the the IME1 app results: Model: Voyage 4; Brand: ZTE; IME1: TAC:990010 FAC:38 SNR:003205 CD:3

Has anyone else had success with this Visible plan? Any clues would be welcome! 

Thanks

Model: LB2120|4G LTE Modem
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @caprock ,

Please check APN profile settings as it may not have automatically setup the APN profile for your new ISP SIM.  You can manually set it up via the WebUI and re-check connection.

Regards,

Arodi

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12

All Replies
caprock
Tutor

Visible by Verizon - 

This appears to be an artifact of PREPAID plans.In my case the modem displayed the LED pattern for NO SIM. Looking into the modem at 192.168.5.1 for ABOUT, I could see that the modem had acquired the SIM card details yet could not complete the connection as viewed by the Network Status without an IP address.

After much examination, I determined that the LB1120/LB2120 does not support this connection, most likely due to this account type.

Message 2 of 12
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @caprock ,

Please check APN profile settings as it may not have automatically setup the APN profile for your new ISP SIM.  You can manually set it up via the WebUI and re-check connection.

Regards,

Arodi

Community Team

Message 3 of 12
caprock
Tutor

ArodiD, thanks for this. In my situation I have three accounts, with the T-Mobile as my primary: APN fast.t-mobile.com, IPV4, IPV4. This is my working device profile.

I have tried two other device accounts: Verizon (post paid) and Visible (prepaid Verizon). The Verizon account works and Visible does not.  In both cases, the ABOUT and APN are the same:  APN Name: Verizon (vzwinternet); APN: vzwinternet; Authintication: None; PDP: IPV4; PDP Roaming: IPV4.

Drats, this was a good idea to check. I had posted this but apparently not succesfull. 

Thanks for this heads-up!

Message 4 of 12
caprock
Tutor

You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! It was in fact, the APN setting that was wrong. This took me a while to locate the phone setting and then to spell the APN name correctly.

Thanks for your assist!

SOLVED 

Message 5 of 12
mmdavi14
Aspirant

I'm about to attempt this with the M1. Just to be clear, what settings, exactly, did you use to get your LB2120 up and running? Has it been successful so far? Thanks so much for this thread!

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 6 of 12
caprock
Tutor

APN Name: Verizon Visible; APN: vsblinteret; Authentication: None; PDP: IPV4; Roaming:IPV4
Note: APN is case sensitive. The APN name is not significant. I now have 2 mobile phone accounts but have not switched the modem yet from T-Mobile to Visible. TM seems tolerant with monthly usage of 50-75gb, fear Vis may not. Plan is to start Vis for the modem soon. 3 things to consider: (1) modem is serviced as a Hot Spot, limited to 5mbits up/down (2) international travel is not supported, cases where Sim card is back in phone. (3) if you have an iPhone 6 or later good to go. Android support is meager. For me, I chose the $99 Visible R2.

Message 7 of 12
mmdavi14
Aspirant

Perfect, thanks! 5mbps seems better than everyone else's 128kbps-600kbps. I'll test their data tolerance pretty heavily, too, but for $20 for the first month, I'll give it a shot.
Message 8 of 12
getnear666
Aspirant

These Modems seem to have been ban from Visible's service, anyone else having issues or know how to get around this?

We've been using them for a week with no issues until yesterday morning.

In one area, the modem connects, until a device is plugged in, then it disconnects and retries and retries and retries... in another area, the modem attemps to connect then retries and retries and retries without a device plugged in... tried in router mode and bridge mode.

I have a LB1121 and two friends have the LB1120... pop the SIM back in a phone, and the phone works with tethering, even bridging the wireless signal to the WAN port of a router to split it works... but i'm attempting to put the modem up in a tree with two large yagi antennas, so tethering with a phone is not an option for me.

Model: LB1121|4G LTE Modem with PoE
Message 9 of 12
GetNear77
Aspirant

I have this same question, what's the deal with it suddenly stopping? Is it possible to spoof the IMEI of one of Visible's "approved" devices?

Can anyone else who is using this modem to connect with Visible confirm that their service suddenly stopped working with the modem or is this just area specific?

Message 10 of 12
caprock
Tutor

That is my impression but not confirmed yet. Mine worked for a few days, dead yesterday. Took the Sim back to a phone and works. Also tried hotspot and that was ok. Actually using a hotspot now w/o issues. My thought was that an automatic tool is looking for Visible with downlink IPs. I'm using TMO also but Visible has the more consistent signal.
Message 11 of 12
caprock
Tutor

Well seems to be bad news for those trying to connect a router to the Visible cell service for use with the Netgear LB2120 4G Modem.

After a more careful examination of the Terms of Service there is a detailed restriction that probably applies in the (e) argument (attached).

In the Features there is only a short description for hotspot support: "You'll be able to connect one phone at a time."

I was hoping to power my home with the 5mb Visible service, but this restriction does seem to be a real - and enforced - restriction. This does not appear to be an issue with TMO, but costs $75-$85 and has a weak signal. [I am in a rural environment where the only alternatives are U-Verse (1.5mb/256k) or a local radio link ($60+ for 3mb/1mb) - no cable tv/internet is available]

BTW: T-Mobile is currently beta-testing a whole-home 4G cell service at this time, but is available with a TMO invitation onlly.

Model: LB2120|4G LTE Modem
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7