× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

LB2120 wan ip address

masterx81
Aspirant

LB2120 wan ip address

Hi! I'm trying to configure as failover an LB2120, but i not see a way to configure the wan ip address. I have some external services that i need to reach on the inside lan.

How i can do that?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Re: LB2120 wan ip address

@masterx81 wrote:

Hi! I'm trying to configure as failover an LB2120, but i not see a way to configure the wan ip address.

The only WAN IP the LB2120 does handle is the 4G/3G one - very uncommon that you have (and can!) configure this address fixed. Your WWAN provider might offer some "static" addresses on your SIM/contract - the IP address is done by the provider.

@masterx81 wrote:

I have some external services that i need to reach on the inside lan.

Any kind of DDNS should do the job, isn't it?

Not sure you got it right: This LB2120 isn't intended to bring over the broadband IP address to the mobile 4G/3G.

Message 2 of 10
masterx81
Aspirant

The problem is the static ip address of the wan ethernet interface. In any case i've resolved in a "not so nice" way of using a router with dhcp and created a reservation before the lb2120. All work as it should but there is one more device that can be avoided.
Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

That's by design - the WAN Ethernet interface is just a L2 port, and has no routing functionality. It is indeed intended for connecting to an existing broadband (or whatever) router only. Only the WWAN mobile network port is routed/NATed.

Message 4 of 10
masterx81
Aspirant

Maybe it's not designed to be a router, but actually it is a router, with nat and port forwarding. The only thing disabled is the ability to use a static ip address...

Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Again no - not for the LAN to the (misleadinlgy named?) WAN port: Here it's just a L2 bridge. And on that level it does sniff if the WAN connected Internet router still has connectivity to the world, on the same L2 level it does catch the traffic for the device management IP address trafic.

NAT and port forwarding does only apply for the WWAN data path.

Message 6 of 10
masterx81
Aspirant

NAT and port forwarding are working ok on the WAN ETH data port.... I have services behind that device, and i reach them - so actually the LB2120 is forwarding correctly the ports.... The WAN ETH port has it's own ip address, different to the local ip address, and the device is routing correctly the traffic.

Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Now I got it 8-)  We talk of two different configuration modes, sorry for the confusion. Afraid, we deploy LB2120 (and the older LB1120) in plain modem mode. 

Don't know your use case exactly - most ISP offering single fixed IPv4 addresses do it by assigning this fixed address by the common dynamic processes, and not by having the user configuring it in a static way.

For my part - I could never understand why Netgear devices specified and supposed to be modems - like the LB or the DM200 - are coming by default in (and with a very basic) router mode at all.

Message 8 of 10
masterx81
Aspirant

Yes the device can be configured in routed or bridge mode. I'm speaking about the routed mode.

I not know why give the routed mode but not allow to set the static public ip address (at least on the wan eth side). Almost all ip addressing that i've used on the ISP side must be set static (mask 252, 1 ip for default gw, and 1 for public ip, or maks 248 for more ip).

Message 9 of 10
schumaku
Guru

In absence of the feature, you can consider filing this request on the Idea Exchange For Home (for all the similar LBxxxx and DMxxx). Nothing that might happen the next day however.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7