× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: LB2120 with external antenna

mackov83
Star

LB2120 with external antenna

Has anybody ever attempted to use an external antenna with this device? I live in Sydney Australia and am ~800m from my closest tower. I bought this external MiMo antenna to try and boost my signal - https://poynting.tech/product/xpol-2-5g-3/. As you can see it supports 5G frequencies so was future proofing at the same time.

To be clear, I am yet to complete the install (i.e. run cables through ceiling, cut holes in walls etc) but have been doing preliminary testing in my backyard - though it is mounted on my TV antenna pole. Without the antenna connected to the modem, I noticed I was at roughly -110db indooors and -96db outdoors with varying download speeds (speedtest.net). With the antenna connected, the signal increases to -76db (as you'd expect). This is using the same same cell tower.

However, I notice the following when I connect the antenna:

* Much higher latency - consistently upwards of 1000ms

* Pings constantly drop

* Speedtest.net will not connect - reports no internet

* Websites don't load - to be expected considering the issues above

I have attached the test outputs in case it helps anybody - I have also raised a case with Netgear, but yet to hear back, Coronavirus and all 🙂

I am trying to determine:

1. Is the antenna the issue - brand new, but could be
  2. Are there some hidden settings that need to be enabled on the modem?
  3. Is the modem faulty?

I have to admit, I have never liked Netgear equipment having had a DM200 that didn't work as advertised (got a refund) and various ADSL routers in the past that failed. If this turns out to be the modem, it will be the very last time I use Netgear equipment.

Model: LB2120|4G LTE Modem
Message 1 of 9
mackov83
Star

By way of an update...

After no return calls or responses to email from Netgear, I decided to try it again today. For some unknown reason it is now working. With the antenna disconnected I am getting around 6-12mbps down and 12mbps up.

With the antenna connected I am getting around 24mbps down and 24mbps up.

I can only attribute the previous issues to some carrier level issues as I have not changed anything. Possibly majorly high demand due to people working from home. 

Some things I have noticed after some in depth investigation:

• This modem only supports LTE Cat4
  • This modem does not seem to support carrier aggregation - at least this is what I have read, would be great to know for certain
  • Other modems support LTE Cat6 and above
  • Most LTE Cat6 modems and above seem to support carrier aggregation - if you want to know more, here is a good article: https://www.3gpp.org/technologies/keywords-acronyms/101-carrier-aggregation-explained
  • Nighthawks are:
    • M1 (MR1100) - Cat16
    • M2 (MR2100) - Cat20
  • Very few modems / wifi hotspots / routers had the combination of:
    • 1G ethernet ports
    • External antenna support and
    • Supported bridge / IP passthrough mode
    • Unless willing to spend > AU$300-400

I currently have an LTE Cat6 modem on order and will update my findings when I have them - i.e. to see if speeds increase. When I am able to return to work I may also borrow the M2 that my network team uses.

BTW, having raised a case with Netgear, this has been my experience:

• Raised a case online
  • Told I need to call within 48 hours or the case would be closed
  • 1st call - told I was second inline and was approx. 355mins(6hrs?!) from the next technician and would I like a call back = yes I would 🙂
  • Submitted the document attached to this thread to the case
  • Received an email next day that my case would be closed in 24 hours without a call
  • As a result I made a 2nd call - I am still the second person in line, however this time no option for a call back
  • Today, check and the case is closed

This has to be customer service at its absolute best 🙂

Message 2 of 9
mackov83
Star

With the new LTE Cat6 modem I am now pulling ~100mbps down and about 8mbps up - not a bad increase!

I also tested the LB2120 Cat4 again at the same time for a comparison - 12mbps down, 24mbps up.

Message 3 of 9
LlamaLarry
Luminary

What modem did you switch to?  I would also like to know if it has CA.

Message 4 of 9
Sheaj544
Aspirant

I am quite curious too ? 

I have picked up a second one of these to play with Dual Wan and to really just get more data for our home. 

The first in my case is flawless with Vodafone, 100Mb/s down most of the day, Uploads even more stable throughout the day with 35-40 Mb/s. 

Do i hear NBN is defunkt 😮 

Second LB2120 for Optus with their recent deal on 500GB Mobile Broudband. 

Pretty abysma speeds so far and it varies heaps. 30 - 60 Mb/s down and a WHOPPING 7-9 Mb/s UP. 

Just patheric really, cant even get double digits, more the fault of Optus and made worse by the 4G Modem for not allowing Frequancy selection.  

Come on NETGEAR, is this NETgear or S**tGear.  with a High Gain external antenna i would thave thought to get more than single digits for the upload. It seams to be stuck on the B40, 2300mHz frequancy 20 Mhz width. There is no ability to manualy select 1800 Mhz, 25 Mhz wide band, where one could only hope the uplaod speed would increase.  

Shame. guess its toygear after all. No support for OpenWRT either. Guess im out of luck.

Anyways, What was the Cat 6 4G Modem you have picked up ? curious to hear your findings 😄 

Happy Hunting

Model: LB2120|4G LTE Modem
Message 5 of 9
mackov83
Star

@LlamaLarry apologies, I had not seen your message until @Sheaj544 responded. I bought the Huawei B525s-65a and went through a process and installed what's called the 'factory' firmware. This gives you access to features that most telcos block from use - i.e. bridge mode, band steering etc. @Sheaj544  if you are on Optus, I'm guessing you likely have the locked down version of this exact device!

You can get them on eBay or GumTree second hand for anywhere from $50 (I wouldn't spend more than $150 or so). I saw many people stating in their ads they 'no longer needed it because they upgrdaded to NBN'. Unfortunately, vendors, telcos and NBN are misleading the public with marketing BS. With LTE (unless directly under a tower) will never get the advertised speeds without a high gain external antenna.

To be fair, I did end up testing the Nighthawk M2 and got similar speeds to the Huawei, but the LB2120 never came close. It does not support carrier aggregation whatsoever. Also, while the M2 marketing suggest speeds of 1gbps, it is highly unlikely you would ever reach that either.

Also, @Sheaj544 , by the sounds of it you are also in Australia. Therefore I would highly recommend checking out:

1) rfnsa.com.au. This allows you to get details on the local towers nearby, as well as it's capabilities - freq, throughput etc. My nearest tower is 800m away. Keep a lookout for the 'cellID'

2) Aus Phone app - allows you to get a good idea of what bands are reaching your location the strongest, and focusing on them

Message 6 of 9
mackov83
Star

BTW, I am also using a directional antenna - which as the name suggests focuses its energy directly at the tower. I am interested to hear how others have got on with omni-directional, as this would be easier to setup.

Message 7 of 9
Sheaj544
Aspirant

Appreciate the reply @mackov83. Wise choise with the 5G antenna, It seams this is the way forward with NBN alternatives. My setup includes am omnidirectional antenna, which seams to do the job well. (4G bands only :Z) Guess ill be on the hunt for another modem as the lb2120 cant seam to do the job. Ill post the specks/ model if it interests you. 

As a way of overkill the new project after 1 year of stable operation with one LB2120, is to have 2 LTE modems fed from the one antenna, my means of antenna splitter/cominers this seams to be achievable, however I have yet to begin testing. What current speeds are you getting with the new setup ? are the uploads better than the single digits you where getting earlier. As stated above the LB2120 isnt all that bad if by chance the stars align. 100/40 is sean most days with Vodafone. RSRP -88 which I guess is a good signal strength.

Also thanks for the RFNSA suggestion, when i was designing this system this time last year I found a real usefull site like this however cant seam to find it now. Will be usefull to keep an eye on 5G rollout. While not an early adoper at this location in Melboune with no ADLS and unstable NBN im ready to test even better speeds. 😮 To give Optus props seams they have a reasobale deal with unlimited 5G, fingers crossed its still around when there is coverage in my area.   

Model: LB1120|4G LTE Modem
Message 8 of 9
mackov83
Star

Let me know how you get on using the same antenna for two connections, but I have a feeling that won't work. Likely you will end up with some level of contention? More than happy to be proven wrong though 🙂

Originally I was testing with the Optus SIM from my phone and it seemed to give better upload speeds. My NBN provider has a month to month SIM for $35 for 30GB that can pool data up to 100GB which was enough as backup internet - has saved me a few times. But it only does 6-7mbps uploads. I did muck around with telstra.extranet APN (which is supposed to be for businesses) and that seems to give a more symmetrical service, but the download speeds take a hit. 

BTW, for anybody reading this it is best to test max throughput after 11pm/12am to get the max values, and comparing those to times of high use - i.e. 7 or 8pm.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7