× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: LB2120 won't auto-connect after an outage

trousers
Tutor

LB2120 won't auto-connect after an outage

Hello I have a LB2120 providing LTE backup for my primary internet line. It is connected in failover mode to a pfSense firewall as a standby interface. Signal strength shows as 2 or 3 bars, and pfSense fails over correctly to the LB2120 if my main connection goes down. All good so far - but... If the LT2120 drops connection to the cellular network (i.e. looses signal in a weak signal area) you have to log in to the user interface and click 'Connect' - then it connects again instantly. This happens in both Bridge and Router mode. I'm running the latest firmware. My concern is that the device is totally useless as a failover modem if you have to manually click connect if the signal drops!. Is there any way to force the modem to automatically try to re-connect if it looses signal? Any advice appreciated! - Dave

Message 1 of 9
trousers
Tutor

I've solved the problem myself - and now have a reliable failover connection.   The steps I took were:

1) Disconnect Netgear LB2120

2) Throw in trash can

3) Replace with Yeacomm 3G 4G LTE Router

4) problem solved.

I seriously wouldn't recommend the LB2120 - wish I had purchased the Yeacomm in the first place and not bothered with domestic grade products.  Could have saved some money as well.

Dave

Message 2 of 9
Jttgg
Tutor

Same experience.
A scheduled curl script should solve it, sending the reconnect request.
If you know curl, please try and share 🙂
Message 3 of 9
trousers
Tutor

You shouldn't have to mess around with scripting just to get a product to do what it was designed to do - and clearly doesn't.   I've had the same problem with 2 of these units - and the best solution is to throw them away and buy something which performs as advertised.  Since I've moved to the other vendor's product  I mentioned in my earlier post I haven't had a single issue.   Good luck!

Message 4 of 9
Jttgg
Tutor

Agreed.
Message 5 of 9
cynthih
Aspirant

> Yeacomm 3G 4G LTE Router

What is the specific model?  I found the "Outdoor" model.  The Yifan website also lists an "indoor" model and some other models.

Message 6 of 9
trousers
Tutor

I now use these - very reliable - you can get them on Amazon:

Yeacomm Outdoor 4G CPE Router, 3G 4G LTE Router with SIM Card Slot,150Mbps CAT4 Mobile Router, Without Wifi (4G ROUTER)

Message 7 of 9
AaronLTek
Guide

Installed a brand new Netgear LB2120 yesterday.I already hate this thing. Calling Netgear support tomorrow - I'm pissed.

Issue...

1. At 11:30pm (a few hours after it was up and running for the first time) it failed to 4G -- even though Xfinity confirmed there was no outage.

2. Problem -- it never reconnected to the cable modem; costing me $70 in 4G data charges (12GB in 4G in about 10 hrs)

thx!

Have you tested it - extensively?

Installed a brand new Netgear LB2120 yesterday. At 11:30pm it decided to fail to 4G even though I confirmed with Xfinity, there ws no outage. Problem was... it never reconnected to the cable modem costing me $70 in 4G data charges (12GB in 4G in about 10 hrs)
... calling Netgear tomorrow, I'm pretty pissed.

thx!
Message 8 of 9
AaronLTek
Guide

guys, hows the Yeacomm 3G 4G LTE Router treating you?   I simply need it to be a failover for my cable internet.

Does it provide decent options?  I liked how the NetGear will send you TXT & Emails and also set alert for data usage.

thx!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7