× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

LM1200 drops but T-Mobile SIM is online

TexMark
Aspirant

LM1200 drops but T-Mobile SIM is online

LM1200-100NAS

Updated firmware upon initial boot up on 11/21/21

T-Mobile 4G LTE SIM with 50GB plan

My new LM1200 has a T-Mobile 4G LTE SIM on a 50GB plan. It connects to a Nighthawk AC1750 router and I have 5 security cameras, a weahter station, remote lighting controls, and a Mocreo sensor hub all connected at the marina boat dock. I spent hours on the phone with T-Mobile the past few days and they ruled out everything on their end. I can reboot it to get it online for a day, then it drops and the only fix is to unplug and restart it. It statys connected a few hours to a day and drops again. I updated the firmware two weeks ago when I purchased it and tried factory reset twice. Same thing. It's a huge pain because the boat dock is 60 miles away and I monitor it at home using the Netgear modem to reach the devices. I have to drive up there to reboot it. I tried talking to technical support and the experience was beyond horrible. I have never experienced such horrible customer service in my life. It took 15 minutes just to get my identity established (email, phone number, product serial number). I was put on hold, passed to someone else and the same questions over and over. After 30 minutes of getting no where even near troubleshooting, I told them to forget it and hung up. Netgear, your technical customer support is horrible - beyond horrible. I am at my whits end after spending hundreds of dollars on the modem/router pair that is supposed to be certified for T-Mobile service. What can you do for me? Has anyone else been through this or currently going throug this? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10
DCii
Aspirant

Re: LM1200 drops but T-Mobile SIM is online

I have same/similar issue. Took verizon sim from jetpack mifi and put in LM1200. Works great when LAN to laptop. Connected LAN to Internet port (yellow) on X6s AC4000 Nighthawk Netgear tri band wireless router. It worked for a hot minute with laptop and ethernet tv but wireless stuff never connected as the LAN link kept dropping. What gives?? Worked flawlessly overnight when connected to one thing but the minute i connected to wireless router, it drops connection.

Message 2 of 10
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@TexMark wrote:

LM1200-100NAS

Updated firmware upon initial boot up on 11/21/21

T-Mobile 4G LTE SIM with 50GB plan

My new LM1200 has a T-Mobile 4G LTE SIM on a 50GB plan. It connects to a Nighthawk AC1750 router and I have 5 security cameras, a weahter station, remote lighting controls, and a Mocreo sensor hub all connected at the marina boat dock. I spent hours on the phone with T-Mobile the past few days and they ruled out everything on their end. I can reboot it to get it online for a day, then it drops and the only fix is to unplug and restart it. It statys connected a few hours to a day and drops again. I updated the firmware two weeks ago when I purchased it and tried factory reset twice. Same thing. It's a huge pain because the boat dock is 60 miles away and I monitor it at home using the Netgear modem to reach the devices. I have to drive up there to reboot it. I tried talking to technical support and the experience was beyond horrible. I have never experienced such horrible customer service in my life. It took 15 minutes just to get my identity established (email, phone number, product serial number). I was put on hold, passed to someone else and the same questions over and over. After 30 minutes of getting no where even near troubleshooting, I told them to forget it and hung up. Netgear, your technical customer support is horrible - beyond horrible. I am at my whits end after spending hundreds of dollars on the modem/router pair that is supposed to be certified for T-Mobile service. What can you do for me? Has anyone else been through this or currently going throug this? Thanks in advance.

For this disconnection issue, please enable Keepalive timer and leave the timer setting as the default value. This has been confirmed by other T-Mo customers that the setting will work. Some carrier's network will disconnect the data link if there is not active data transfer for a certain period of time. Enabling Keepalive timer will prevent the issue from happening.

Please let me know wehther this helps.

Regards

Message 3 of 10
stuyboy
Tutor

John, thanks for your support!

Regarding KeepAlive, is this setting only available when in Router mode?  Within Bridge mode, is there such a thing as KeepAlive within the LM1200?  Or do we need to figure out something within the LAN Router to send a KeepAlive ping every so often?

Message 4 of 10
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Yes. It is available in both Bridge and Router mode. You can find it under Failover tab.

Please make sure you upgrade your device to the latest release.

Thanks

John

Message 5 of 10
TexMark
Aspirant

I will try this next time I am at the boat slip. On New Year's Eve I added an automatic on/off power adapter and set it to turn off every day at Noon and turn back on at 12:05 PM. It essentially power cycles the unit (auto-reboot of sorts). That forces the unit to establish a new connection to the tower. So far, that has prevented the unit from going offline. I will try the keep-alive feature next time I am up there and report on how that works. BTW, your model listing does not have the LM1200 listed. I chose LB1120 since that was the closest thing.

Model: LB1120|4G LTE Modem
Message 6 of 10
twern
Aspirant

Did this stay alive setting work for you?

So I assume the LM1200 IMEI was accepted by T-Mobile and that part of the process worked ok? No one at T-Mobile can tell me other than with an IMEI whether this modem will work on their network, so I would have to buy it blindly and hope 😞

Message 7 of 10
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

LM1200 is certified with T-Mobile. If you get the T-Mobile SIM from their BYOD mobile hotspot plan, the device will work for sure.

The Keepalive setting is just a workaround to prevent the network to disconnect the data link after certain period of time of activities.

Thanks

Message 8 of 10
Tacopilot
Aspirant

T-Mobile is telling me I’m on the hot spot plan but my connection will not establish. LED is consistently red.
Message 9 of 10
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Tacopilot wrote:
T-Mobile is telling me I’m on the hot spot plan but my connection will not establish. LED is consistently red.

Please advise your plan name and confirm it is from T-MO BYOD plan. Please refer to the image below.

JohnPeng_0-1661891493469.png

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7