× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: LM1200 modem filtering ipv6 packets?

devan_b
Aspirant

LM1200 modem filtering ipv6 packets?

I recently purchased a netgear LM1200 and have been able to configure it as a WAN for my router.  Outgoing traffic flows well.

I would like to set it up as an end point for a VPN server using the ipv6 address provided by my cellular provider (TM).  If I ping the address from an outside server, it is unreachable.   The router is not receiving any packets from the modem. 

I tried to enable the diagnostic mode on the modem but that didn't seem to do anything. 

There is no mention of the diagnostic mode on the user manual.

Has anyone had success with this either in bridge mode (current) or routed mode?

I'd prefer not to have to use the routed mode if possible.

Thanks,

Devan

Message 1 of 7
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Qualcomm chipset uses SLAAC method to config IPv6 address, but most of routers use stateful DHCPv6 methid to assign IPv6 address. 

This causes the compatibility issue when using IPv6 only address. I think the issue you are experiencing is due to such limitaion.

Thanks

John

Message 2 of 7
devan_b
Aspirant

I never thought of that.

My router runs pfsense which is based on FreeBSD.  My options for optaining an IPv6 address include:

DHCPv6

SLAAC
6rd tunnel

6to4 tunnel

track interface

I'll try SLAAC next.

Before I go down this rabbit hole, has anyone successfully used the LM1200 modem to act as a server WAN on IPv6?  

I'm excited to find out.

Thanks,

Devan

Message 3 of 7
User23562346
Aspirant

Any luck?

I just got mine setup and outbound traffic is fine, but can't do inbound traffic.  The thing is in bridge mode so I don't expect it to be filtering but inbound HTTPS, OpenVPN, and even ping doesn't work.

Message 4 of 7
devan_b
Aspirant

No luck. I am a bit of a novice with ipv6 but I am only getting IGMP traffic from the modem to the router. When I try to ping the ipv6 address Nothing is received by the router.
Message 5 of 7
User23562346
Aspirant

I'm using a Tello sim.  My guess is Tello just by default blocks inbound content if htere's no matching state.  For me IPv4 or IPv6 would be fine, neither work.  However, from the router I can ping on either and things appear to work fine.

Next step is to contact Tello and ask them if we can get an "unrestricted" connection (perhaps with a dedicated IP - though I don't need one).  It's possible only the bigger carriers can do this.

Message 6 of 7
devan_b
Aspirant

I'm also using Tello which is using t-mobile.

After reading many threads on t-mobile and reddit, I realize that many people are trying to get inbound connections via IPv6.  One reported success running a webserver on a phone.  No one else and no one on a modem.  The consensus is that t-mobile is filtering all inbound data, even ping.

Interestingly someone with ATT tried on an older netgear modem and was able to receive inbound packets.  Plans start at 25 / month which is a bit more that the 6 I am paying now.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7