× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: LM1200 repeatedly dropping link

JinTu
Star

LM1200 repeatedly dropping link

I recently purchased an LM1200-100NAS to serve as an LTE failover connection for my homelab and noticed a strange issue while setting up my pfSense-based router to use the LM1200 as a secondary WAN connection. When I initially activated the SIM card on Verizon with the LM1200, I had it directly connected to the Ethernet interface on a PC, and did not see any issues with the link dropping after the LM1200 had fully powered up. However, for some reason, shortly after powering up the LM1200 when connected to the router, it connects to the LTE network (the right-most LED goes from orange to green), then the LAN LED illumminates green, but shortly afterwards, the LAN LED extinguishes, and I see the port link is down on the router. The link stays down for a few seconds, then the process repeats unless I force release then renew the IP address on the router's interface via DHCP. Once I do this, the LM1200 stops dropping the link and the router get's an IP address and is able to route out the LM1200 via IPv4, and I am able to reach the management interface of the LM1200 on 192.168.5.1. This seems to happen every time I power-cycle the LM1200, and requires manual intervention to be able to get a valid IP and pass (IPv4) traffic through the device. I was also able to admin disable the router interface (leaving the link up) and then enabling the router's interface and this also seemed to helped as the link some of the time, but it wasn't consistant. This suggests the issue may be timing related.

The LM1200 and my router are also being issued an IPv6 IP address from my wireless carrier (Verizon) as well, but I have thus far been unsuccessful in routing out via IPv6. However, the IPv6 issue is an issue for another thread.

Note that I currently have the LM1200 in bridge mode.  

Firmware version: EC25AFFDR07A09M4G. 

App version: NTG9X07C_20.04.07.06. 

Web App version: LM1200-HDATA_03.03.103.189.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  

I see that there is a new firmware release due at the end of the month for the LM1200. Is there a possibility that this will address the issue?

Message 1 of 233
JinTu
Star

The end of August has come and gone with no indication of new firmware being available.

@JohnPeng are there any revised projections on when the LM1200 firmware update will be released?

Message 2 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

The latest LM1200 release has been posted online. If your device's IMEI is ending with 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4, it can be upgraded now.

Please do a factory reset after upgrage and clear browser cache to start over again.

Please let me know if you have any questions or issues.

Thanks

John

Message 3 of 233
JinTu
Star

@JohnPeng wrote:

The latest LM1200 release has been posted online. If your device's IMEI is ending with 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4, it can be upgraded now.

Thanks @JohnPeng, my IMEI ends in 7 and I don't see the firmware available to update online, nor can I find it on Netgear's support site. Any projections with other IMEI's will be able to access the firmware update?

Message 4 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Hi All,

The release is open to all LM1200 devices now. You can do manual upgrade check and follow the on-screen instructions to have your device upgraded.

Thanks for your patience. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

John

Message 5 of 233
VinceBlack
Aspirant

Hello, I am experiencing the same issue. My IMEI ends with a zero and I'm not seeing an update when I manually do a check. I also checked website and states "No Firmware not availble for this model". Please advise on getting the latest update.  Thank you.

Message 6 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

If you kept seeing Update Error, please do a factory reset and check for update again. The release has been posted online for all users.

Let me know if you still have the issue.

Regards

Message 7 of 233
VinceBlack
Aspirant

Hello John,

I'm not getting any error message. Just message no updates are available. I have already done a factory reset and still no luck

Message 8 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

The new release was set to install automatically. Some devices may have been updated without noticed.

Please check the FW release version to make sure your device is on the latest release already:

FW: NTG9X07C_20.06.09.00

PRI version: 04.19

Thanks

Message 9 of 233
JinTu
Star

I was able to update the firmware online and performed a factory reset via the GUI afterwards, but it seems to have retained some, but not all of the previous settings (APN settings were reset, but network selection mode was still set to manual). That said, the original issue (repeatidly dropping the Ethernet link until the DHCP lease is force release/renewed) persists. Also, I am still unable to pass traffic via IPv6 despite being issued an IP address. I will try converting to router mode to see if anything behaves differently and will report back.

Message 10 of 233
ivioo
Initiate

I just bought this and have the same issue with Verizon also. It connects, passes data then all of the sudden the cell link LED goes from green and flickers red then the LAN led goes out and the LAN connection is gone. Then everything reconnects, it does this cycle over and over. Not sure where to go from here. Can't really trouble shoot when the LAN connection drops. I'm using a Unifi UDM Pro. Seems like if I plug the modem straight into the PC I don't see the issue. Modem says it has the latest FW installed. How do I fix this?
Message 11 of 233
GeneK7087
Aspirant

Could you please provide a link to the new firmware file that I can download manually as I can not find it on the website download page.  Thanks.

Message 12 of 233
JinTu
Star

I did some additional testing with the LM1200 in router mode and it essentially behaved the same (Link drops repeatidly unless DHCP force renewed, and then after the link is up IPv4 passes traffic, yet IPv6 does not)

@ivioo wrote:
I just bought this and have the same issue with Verizon also. It connects, passes data then all of the sudden the cell link LED goes from green and flickers red then the LAN led goes out and the LAN connection is gone. Then everything reconnects, it does this cycle over and over. Not sure where to go from here. Can't really trouble shoot when the LAN connection drops. I'm using a Unifi UDM Pro. Seems like if I plug the modem straight into the PC I don't see the issue. Modem says it has the latest FW installed. How do I fix this?

Interesting that you are also seeing the same behavior with the link dropping when using Unifi hardware. I hadn't mentioned it in my initial post, but I have my LM1200 connected to a port on a Unifi Pro 24 POE switch (using a POE splitter to power the LM1200). Perhaps there is some inherent issue between the LM1200 and Unifi switchports and the DHCP thing is a red herring?

Message 13 of 233
PeterG5000
Tutor

Same problem.  

I am plugging into WAN2 on UDMP.

LN1200 LAN light goes on and then off.. 

I plug LM1200 into my computer and it connects fine.

I have tried EVERYTHING I could think of.  I disabled IPv6.  I upgraded firmware.  I plugged into WAN1.  Nothing worked.

I need a LTE backup for my UDMP.  This should have been EASY!!!!  

Any help would be appreciated.  I also have put in a support request.  I hope I get some kind of response to this.

I believe this is a LM1200 issue and NOT the UDMP.

Thank You,

Pete G.

Message 14 of 233
Pmolter13
Aspirant

I am also having the same issues with the LM1200 on Verizon but with a Tplink router.

I was able to confirm with VZW that there should not be any issue connecting a DHCP router as the hotspot plan does not limit connections. I also have a support ticket open with Tplink to review the router logs showing the disconnect and reconnect cycling.

However, I even tried an older Actiontec router left over from my previous ISP and that had the same issues once I connected multiple devices. This only seems to occur if the modem is connected to a router or hub. If it's a direct 1:1 connection, be it game console, pc or laptop, it works fine.
Message 15 of 233
PeterG5000
Tutor

Thanks for checking with Verizon.  So we have pretty much ruled out everythign but the LM1200.  I wonder if anyone has tried the Nighthawk M1 Moble LTE hotspot MR1100-100NAS?  We need Netgear to fix this issue or I have to send this back.  We are using this as the backup Internet in the case there is an outage with our wired carrier.

Message 16 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Hi All,

For reporting the LM1200 dropping link issue when connecting with a router as client, please check the the device has been upgraded to the latest FW release:

App Version: NTG9X07C_20.06.09.00

If the issue still happens, please report the following information:

1. LM1200 is set as Router mode or Bridge Mode

2. Carrier Name

3. APN name

4. IP Type

5. Is LM1200 connecting to WAN backhaul

6. Router client brand and model

7. Broadband modem brand and model

Thanks

Message 17 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@GeneK7087 wrote:

Could you please provide a link to the new firmware file that I can download manually as I can not find it on the website download page.  Thanks.

The latest release has been posted online for OTA FW upgrade. You can do a manual FW upgrade check to have your device upgrdaed to the lates.

If you have any issue for upgrading your device, please let me know.

Thanks

Message 18 of 233
GeneK7087
Aspirant

I had the router connecting with the SIM from Verizon that I had from previous router.  But since the port forwarding wasn't working, I tried to do the firmware update.  The router would just fail trying to look for the FW update.  No explanation in the message other than to try again later.  Since I had already switched the router from bridge to router mode, I tried reseting the router to factory settings and was going to switch the IP version from v4v6 to just v4, however, after doing the factory reset the router would then no longer make a connection to Verizon.  So I can not even attempt to have it try to look for the firmware update.  Thus, I need a link so that I can manually download the file and upload it that way to the router.  When I searched on the Netgear website for the firmware it says there is no update available.  So again I ask, could please just post the direct link to the download so that I can manually download the firmware.   Thanks!

Message 19 of 233
JinTu
Star

App Version: NTG9X07C_20.06.09.00

1. LM1200 is set as Router mode or Bridge Mode: both bridge mode and Router mode exhibit the same behavior.

2. Carrier Name: Verizon

3. APN name: VZWINTERNET

4. IP Type: IPV4V6 setting in APN. Both IPv4 and IPv6 IP addresses are issued once the connection stabilizes. The router interface is configured for DHCP for IPv4 and SLAAC for IPv6.

5. Is LM1200 connecting to WAN backhaul: WAN interface on the LM1200 is not connected. The LAN interface on the LM1200 is connected to the router. The LM1200 Advanced->Failover->Default Connection is set to Mobile Broadband only.

6. Router client brand and model: pfSense Plus 21.05.1 on Netgate XG-7100

7. Broadband modem brand and model: NA

Message 20 of 233
PeterG5000
Tutor

I just tested in BRIDGE mode with my Mac and I am seeing the same drop outs.  My main problem is getting this device to work with a Unifi Dream Machine Pro.

1. LM1200 is set as Router mode or Bridge Mode:  BRIDGE

2. Carrier Name:  VERIZON

3. APN name: VZWINTERNET

4. IP Type: IPV4V6 (switchd to IPV4 only and no difference)

5. Is LM1200 connecting to WAN backhaul: WAN BACKUP CONNECTION UDMP

6. Router client brand and model:  Unifi Dream Machine Pro

7. Broadband modem brand and model:  Consolidated Fiber

Firmware Firmware Version: EC25AFFDR07A09M4G

App Version: NTG9X07C_20.06.09.00

Web App Version: LM1200-HDATA_03.03.103.201

Hardware Version: 1.0

Message 21 of 233
PeterG5000
Tutor

Are we sure this is not Verizon?  It seems odd that for me in Router mode it works fine.  When I switch to Bridged mode and I get an initial connection the link light goes off.  It feels like Verizon is rejecting the device.  But who knows...

Message 22 of 233
Pmolter13
Aspirant

I was not able to get the modem to work in router mode. I will give it another try however since you were.

Here is the information requested:

Firmware Version:EC25AFFDR07A09M4G

App Version:NTG9X07C_20.06.09.00

Web App Version:LM1200-HDATA_03.03.103.201

Hardware Version:1.0

PRI Version:04.19

1. LM1200 is set as Bridge Mode

2. Carrier Name: Verizon

3. APN name: VZWINTERNET

4. IP Type: IP4 and tried IPv6

5. Is LM1200 connecting to WAN backhaul: NO

6. Router client brand and model: TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750

7. Broadband modem brand and model: Netgear LM1200

Message 23 of 233
Pmolter13
Aspirant

After some additional testing, having the modem in router mode (DHCP enabled) and the router also in router mode (DHCP enabled) seemed to do the trick. It's been just under 24hrs and the connection hasn't dropped, and my full network is connected through the router (12 devices, combination of wired and wireless).

Message 24 of 233
PeterG5000
Tutor

I am seeing the exact same thing.  It seems like this is a bridge mode issue where Verizon is actually providing the address.

I am meeting with higher level support on Tuesday at 7pm to go over the issue.  Hopefully we will be closer to a resolution.

-Pete

Message 25 of 233
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7