× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: LM1200 repeatedly dropping link

kingtom
Tutor

@JinTu wrote:

The end of August has come and gone with no indication of new firmware being available.

@JohnPeng are there any revised projections on when the LM1200 firmware update will be released?

Not yet.

Message 26 of 233
ericleblanc
Aspirant

What did Verizon say? I'm having the same issue as listed here.
Message 27 of 233
PeterG5000
Tutor

I gave up.  They were trying to schedule a call with me and got to busy to call at the scheduled time.  I cant spend any more time on this.   I am returning the LM1200.

I did have a LB2120 at work and borrwed it to see if it would work any better.  I am not seeing the link drop outs like the LM1200.  I do have issues sometimes getting an IP in bridge mode, but it seems better. 

This is so frustrating because I have wasted HOURS AND HOURS on this.

Message 28 of 233
PeterG5000
Tutor

Sorry I never contacted Verizon.  I am still going to ask them about this, but I am giving up on Netgear and the LM1200 because of so much wasted time.

Message 29 of 233
greyace90
Aspirant

I found this thread because I bought a LM1200 back in July, also on Verizon, also using pfSense, and discovered I'm experiencing the exact same issue. When I have the LM1200 plugged into a laptop, it works, no problem. As soon as pfSense starts sending traffic to it, the LTE light flashes red, and the device goes in an endless cycle of connecting and reconnecting. I contacted Netgear for a warranty replacement but that went nowhere. This point, I'm out of my return window and I'm frustrated with this thing. It's not even like I can use it in the car since there's no wifi on it. I'm on the latest firmware and that didn't do a thing other than enable the WAN port which I don't use.

Edit: So I did try putting the LM1200 into router mode. This kept it from dropping the LAN connection, but the Verizon side just kept rotating through IPs. Now, the LTE light is a steady red and I have an alert that mobile broadband is disconnected. I'm probably going to have to call Verizon now.

Message 30 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for reportng the issue. Could you please help to capture some logs on the disconnection issue? I can provide instructions if you can.

John

@greyace90 wrote:

I found this thread because I bought a LM1200 back in July, also on Verizon, also using pfSense, and discovered I'm experiencing the exact same issue. When I have the LM1200 plugged into a laptop, it works, no problem. As soon as pfSense starts sending traffic to it, the LTE light flashes red, and the device goes in an endless cycle of connecting and reconnecting. I contacted Netgear for a warranty replacement but that went nowhere. This point, I'm out of my return window and I'm frustrated with this thing. It's not even like I can use it in the car since there's no wifi on it. I'm on the latest firmware and that didn't do a thing other than enable the WAN port which I don't use.

Edit: So I did try putting the LM1200 into router mode. This kept it from dropping the LAN connection, but the Verizon side just kept rotating through IPs. Now, the LTE light is a steady red and I have an alert that mobile broadband is disconnected. I'm probably going to have to call Verizon now.

Message 31 of 233
greyace90
Aspirant

How would you like logs? Wireshark or are there logs I can get directly from the LM1200?

Message 32 of 233
JinTu
Star

I am happy to provide logs as well. Just let us know what you are looking for.

Message 33 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@JinTu wrote:

I am happy to provide logs as well. Just let us know what you are looking for.

Thank you for your help in advance. I will send the logging instructions in private message.

Message 34 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@greyace90 wrote:

How would you like logs? Wireshark or are there logs I can get directly from the LM1200?

Thanks for your help in advance. I sent the logging instructions to you in private message.

Message 35 of 233
JinTu
Star

Just a note for those experiencing this issue and following along, I have supplied logs from the special LM1200 firmware and a pcap from my pfSense router to @JohnPeng to aid in troubleshooting.

Message 36 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@JinTu Thank you for capturing the logs. The initial anaylsis points to the issue to handle Verzion SIM activation and APN dynamic change. The issue seeem only limited to using Verizon network. We are still investigating. I will ask your help again when we have a potential fix on the issue.

In our own testing using other carrier network, we couldn't reproduce the issue.

Thanks

Message 37 of 233
solah
Guide

I'm having the exact same issue and working through it now with support... my modem will randomly go through instances of the network connection repeatedly cycling (every 30s or so). I'm on verizon. The disconnect for each cycle seems to follow a instantaneous status change to the cell signal light, which may sometimes flash red a single time at the start of each cycle. When this was connected to a router with more detailed logging, the WAN gateway would flip / flop with each cycle. I have ruled out issues like the specific PC / router connected to the device, network cables, physical location of modem (different cities), etc. The problem is likely either 1) the unit is switching between cell sources, such as 3G vs LTE, and it's causing the modem to reset the network adapter or 2) the service provider verizon is sometimes switching between IPV4 and IPV6 and the modem / downstream devices aren't digesting it well.

It could also be a combination of the two factors above. I'm not savvy enough to force these external states upon the modem to narrow it down further, but I've mostly ruled out everything under my control on the device / network side. 

If I'm able to catch another wave of resets with everything ready to go, I'm going to try to switch the Network Mode from Auto to LTE (to elimate its ability to switch between LTE and 3G) and also try setting the default PDP from IPV4V6 to just IPV4.

Message 38 of 233
chibikegeek
Aspirant

This is happening to me as well. 

Dual NETGEAR 1200s > TP-Link Omada > TP-Link Archer A10.

The Details:

Firmware Version: EC25AFFDR07A09M4G

App Version: NTG9X07C_20.06.09.00 Web

App Version: LM1200-HDATA_03.03.103.201

Hardware Version: 1.0

View from the Omada attached.

Peaks correspond to LINK DOWN, valleys to +/- 30 from LINK UP

New Project.png

Message 39 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@chibikegeek wrote:

This is happening to me as well. 

Dual NETGEAR 1200s > TP-Link Omada > TP-Link Archer A10.

The Details:

Firmware Version: EC25AFFDR07A09M4G

App Version: NTG9X07C_20.06.09.00 Web

App Version: LM1200-HDATA_03.03.103.201

Hardware Version: 1.0

View from the Omada attached.

Peaks correspond to LINK DOWN, valleys to +/- 30 from LINK UP

New Project.png

Could you please confirm which carrier's SIM you are using, Verizon?

Thanks

Message 40 of 233
AaronWTCI
Aspirant

I am also having the same exact issue, works fine plugged into a laptop. As soon as i plug into my sonicwall or other routing devices it drops out. updated firmware, reset to default. Doesnt work in bridged or router mode. 

Message 41 of 233
AaronWTCI
Aspirant

I did just find if i plug the LM1200 into a TP link Archer 750 it works just fine. I can then plug my Sonicwall into it and it works through the lan fine. So there seems to be something going on with some kind of port security or buggy kind of issue on the port on the lm1200??

Message 42 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Could you please detail how you connect the 2 different routers? Just connect them to LM1200 LAN port and one is working and one is not working?

Please provide Sonicwall's model.

@AaronWTCI wrote:

I did just find if i plug the LM1200 into a TP link Archer 750 it works just fine. I can then plug my Sonicwall into it and it works through the lan fine. So there seems to be something going on with some kind of port security or buggy kind of issue on the port on the lm1200??

Message 43 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@solah wrote:

I'm having the exact same issue and working through it now with support... my modem will randomly go through instances of the network connection repeatedly cycling (every 30s or so). I'm on verizon. The disconnect for each cycle seems to follow a instantaneous status change to the cell signal light, which may sometimes flash red a single time at the start of each cycle. When this was connected to a router with more detailed logging, the WAN gateway would flip / flop with each cycle. I have ruled out issues like the specific PC / router connected to the device, network cables, physical location of modem (different cities), etc. The problem is likely either 1) the unit is switching between cell sources, such as 3G vs LTE, and it's causing the modem to reset the network adapter or 2) the service provider verizon is sometimes switching between IPV4 and IPV6 and the modem / downstream devices aren't digesting it well.

It could also be a combination of the two factors above. I'm not savvy enough to force these external states upon the modem to narrow it down further, but I've mostly ruled out everything under my control on the device / network side. 

If I'm able to catch another wave of resets with everything ready to go, I'm going to try to switch the Network Mode from Auto to LTE (to elimate its ability to switch between LTE and 3G) and also try setting the default PDP from IPV4V6 to just IPV4.

We are investigating the issue right now that when using Verizon SIM card, sometimes, the data connection keeps dropping . Will get back to you soon after we find the root cause. 

Thanks

Message 44 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

I think there are 2 different issues reported in this thread.

1. LTE connection keeps dropping when Verizon SIM is used. This is being investigated. IT may be related to Verizon plan used. 

2. LAN connection dropped when connecting LM1200 LAN port to a WiFi router.

Please check the issue you have and specify clearly whether it is LTE connection drop or LAN connection drop.

Thanks

Message 45 of 233
chibikegeek
Aspirant

This is LTE dropout.

Message 46 of 233
chibikegeek
Aspirant

I'm using two LM1200s, each with a different carrier SIM, load balanced using an Omada.

The two SIMs currently in use are a TMO SIM and a VZN SIM.

Message 47 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@chibikegeek wrote:

I'm using two LM1200s, each with a different carrier SIM, load balanced using an Omada.

The two SIMs currently in use are a TMO SIM and a VZN SIM.

Thanks for the details. After we found the solution for the Verizon LTE drop connection drop issue, I would like to ask your help to verify the fix.

Regards

Message 48 of 233
AaronWTCI
Aspirant

I am using a SonicWALL TZ370. I am connecting dircetly to the WAN port with a CAT6 patch cable. When it is plugged in directly to my pc, or the TP-Link Archer 750 is works as it should. When plugged into the Sonicwall TZ370 the following is what happens.

1. The device pulls a DHCP address from the Netgear LM1200

2. I can ping out to the internet 8.8.8.8, google.com for about 6-8 packets and then the connection drops

3. The ethernet connections light goes off and pings begin to fail

4. After a period of time the connection light comes back on and pings resume for 6-8 packets, then it drops again.

5. I also notice the Sonicwall pulls another DHCP address from Verizon each time the connection cycles.

I'm not sure if this is a LTE problem or a Netgear problem, but either way its not working like it should. 

Message 49 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@AaronWTCI wrote:

I am using a SonicWALL TZ370. I am connecting dircetly to the WAN port with a CAT6 patch cable. When it is plugged in directly to my pc, or the TP-Link Archer 750 is works as it should. When plugged into the Sonicwall TZ370 the following is what happens.

1. The device pulls a DHCP address from the Netgear LM1200

2. I can ping out to the internet 8.8.8.8, google.com for about 6-8 packets and then the connection drops

3. The ethernet connections light goes off and pings begin to fail

4. After a period of time the connection light comes back on and pings resume for 6-8 packets, then it drops again.

5. I also notice the Sonicwall pulls another DHCP address from Verizon each time the connection cycles.

I'm not sure if this is a LTE problem or a Netgear problem, but either way its not working like it should. 

Please confirm the following are the correct summaries of your issue.

1. You are using Verzion SIM

2. The connection LM1200 LAN Port -> PC Ethernet: This is working fine

3. The connection LM1200  LAN port -> TP-Link Archer 750 WAN port: This is working fine

4. The connection LM1200 LAN port -> Sonicwall TZ370 WAN port: The connection will keep dropping

Thanks

Message 50 of 233
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7