× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: LM1200 repeatedly dropping link

AaronWTCI
Aspirant

1. You are using Verzion SIM - Correct

2. The connection LM1200 LAN Port -> PC Ethernet: This is working fine - Correct

3. The connection LM1200  LAN port -> TP-Link Archer 750 WAN port: This is working fine - Correct

4. The connection LM1200 LAN port -> Sonicwall TZ370 WAN port: The connection will keep dropping - Correct

The connection LM1200 LAN port -> Sonicwall TZ370 WAN port - it works briefly and then the LAN Port LED shuts off

Message 51 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@AaronWTCI wrote:

1. You are using Verzion SIM - Correct

2. The connection LM1200 LAN Port -> PC Ethernet: This is working fine - Correct

3. The connection LM1200  LAN port -> TP-Link Archer 750 WAN port: This is working fine - Correct

4. The connection LM1200 LAN port -> Sonicwall TZ370 WAN port: The connection will keep dropping - Correct

The connection LM1200 LAN port -> Sonicwall TZ370 WAN port - it works briefly and then the LAN Port LED shuts off

Thanks for the confirmation. Other customers seem reporting the similar issue that when using a firware wall enabled router, LM1200 dropped connections. We will further check on this to see whether Verizon data connection drop issue is somehow related to the router settings.

Message 52 of 233
solah
Guide

Verizon

I put the LM1200LTE into router mode for the past week or so and it seems to have resolved itself (few short term instances vs. near constant and continuous cycling of the network / cell connector). However, I don't know if the underlying issue is the mode setting firmware (bridge vs. router) or the fact that "router" mode seems to force the parties to use IPv4... I suspect that IPv6 isn't playing nice between Verizon, the modem, and various downstream devices. 

There are manual settings for IPv4 and IPv6 within the "Mobile" tab, but I was not able to solve or replicate the issues with those settings, nor was I confident that they were actually being applied correctly given what I was seeing elsewhere (IPv6 addresses were still being referenced and issued).

Others have commented on LTE dropout or LTE / WCDMA tower switching as a potential cause; I tested this in areas with clear LTE dropout issues and switching did not appear to correlate to the network cycling issues. However, these tests did not rule out an IPv6 issue with specific towers or connection types. 

Message 53 of 233
twicken
Aspirant

I'm also experiencing this issue on Verizon when using bridge mode, directly connected to a laptop through USB-C to ethernet converter.  The issue goes way when I put the LM1200 in router mode.

Message 54 of 233
zelthian
Tutor

Just bought my LM1200 yesterday and just noticed this issue. It happens just about every 2 hours (T-Mobile DHCP lease time?). I've attached a screenshot of the log entries from my router.

1. Bridge Mode

2. T-Mobile

3. T Mobile (fast.t-mobile.com)

4. IPv4

5. Is LM1200 connecting to WAN backhaul - No

6. Mikrotik RB5009

7. N/A

Message 55 of 233
AaronWTCI
Aspirant

I this is for a mobile setup that needs to be connected through the sonicwall to a vpn, I really need to get this operational if possible. 

Is there anything I can do to help you out? provide a packet capture? provide a log of some sort? 

Message 56 of 233
zelthian
Tutor

I've been observing my device and I've notice something interesting.

I put the device in router mode like alot of people. While this does keep the link from going down, the LTE connection continues to cycle every 2 hours or so. This can be observed on the dashboard in the "Session" box, as the Elapsed Time resets to 0m every time the connection drops and re-establishes. I can't be sure if the session drops because of the hotspot or the carrier, but my gut tells me its the carrier, as this issue isn't unique to this device.

In bridge mode, this behavior results in the link being dropped, as the device has to cope with the session drop. In bridge mode, the IP address is assigned by the carrier, and if the carrier drops the session, the IP address assignment goes with it.

So the ask to Netgear, from my perspective, would be for the hotspot to better handle the dropping of session by the carrier, resulting in the link NOT going down even if the session has to drop and be re-established.

I'll call my carrier for assistance on the session dropping when I have some time.

Message 57 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@zelthian wrote:

I've been observing my device and I've notice something interesting.

I put the device in router mode like alot of people. While this does keep the link from going down, the LTE connection continues to cycle every 2 hours or so. This can be observed on the dashboard in the "Session" box, as the Elapsed Time resets to 0m every time the connection drops and re-establishes. I can't be sure if the session drops because of the hotspot or the carrier, but my gut tells me its the carrier, as this issue isn't unique to this device.

In bridge mode, this behavior results in the link being dropped, as the device has to cope with the session drop. In bridge mode, the IP address is assigned by the carrier, and if the carrier drops the session, the IP address assignment goes with it.

So the ask to Netgear, from my perspective, would be for the hotspot to better handle the dropping of session by the carrier, resulting in the link NOT going down even if the session has to drop and be re-established.

I'll call my carrier for assistance on the session dropping when I have some time.

Please confirm you are also using Verizon?

Thanks

Message 58 of 233
zelthian
Tutor

T-Mobile is my carrier, not Verizon.

Message 59 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@zelthian wrote:

T-Mobile is my carrier, not Verizon.

Could you please help to capture some logs? If you can, I will send you the instructions by private message.

Thanks

Message 60 of 233
zelthian
Tutor

@JohnPeng wrote:

Could you please help to capture some logs? If you can, I will send you the instructions by private message.

Thanks

Certainly. I'd be happy to help any way I can.

Message 61 of 233
chibikegeek
Aspirant

Happy to help any way I can.

Message 62 of 233
Serdar
Aspirant

Having the same issue on Google Fi (which is actually T-Mobile, but a different APN).

1. LM1200 is set as Router mode or Bridge Mode: Bridge Mode
  2. Carrier Name: Google Fi (on T-Mobile)
  3. APN name: h2g2
  4. IP Type: IPv4
  5. Is LM1200 connecting to WAN backhaul: No
  6. Router client brand and model: Netgate 7100 1U (pfSense Plus 21.05.1)
  7. Broadband modem brand and model: N/A (Fiber ONT)

Logs from pfSense:

Nov 21 01:01:55 pfsense kernel: e6000sw0port2: link state changed to DOWN
Nov 21 01:02:17 pfsense kernel: e6000sw0port2: link state changed to UP
Nov 21 02:50:06 pfsense kernel: e6000sw0port2: link state changed to DOWN
Nov 21 02:50:28 pfsense kernel: e6000sw0port2: link state changed to UP
Nov 21 05:14:39 pfsense kernel: e6000sw0port2: link state changed to DOWN
Nov 21 05:15:01 pfsense kernel: e6000sw0port2: link state changed to UP
Nov 21 07:02:51 pfsense kernel: e6000sw0port2: link state changed to DOWN
Nov 21 07:03:13 pfsense kernel: e6000sw0port2: link state changed to UP

Message 63 of 233
JinTu
Star

@Serdar wrote:
  3. Router client brand and model: Netgate 7100 1U (pfSense Plus 21.05.1)

Logs from pfSense:

I am seeing the same thing on Verizon with pfSense, but was able to temporarily work around it by manually releasing and relinquishing the DHCP lease, then forcing a renew. Sometimes it requires doing this a few times for it to work, but once the link stabilizes, it stays up.

Message 64 of 233
txagg
Aspirant

Add another one to the list. I just purchased this device and with my USG Pro the connection drops about every 2 - 3 minutes when in bridge mode and then comes back with a new IP after about 1 minute, making the the connection basically useless.

App Version: NTG9X07C_20.06.09.00 - Confirmed

PRI version: 04.19 - Confirmed

1. Bridge Mode
  2. Verizon
  3. VZWINTERNET
  4. IPV4V6 in APN, IPV4 in router
  5. LM1200 LAN to USG Pro WAN1
  6. Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Pro
  7. N/A
Message 65 of 233
Sommerfield
Aspirant

I am having the same issue also using verizon, only connected to an orbi router.   Has there been a resolution to this?

Message 66 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Serdar wrote:

Having the same issue on Google Fi (which is actually T-Mobile, but a different APN).

3. APN name: h2g2
  4. IP Type: IPv4
  5. Is LM1200 connecting to WAN backhaul: No
  6. Router client brand and model: Netgate 7100 1U (pfSense Plus 21.05.1)
  7. Broadband modem brand and model: N/A (Fiber ONT)

Logs from pfSense:

For your case, since the connection is down and up in a certain intervals, please try to enable the Keepalive setting and set the interval smaller than what you see in the log. Some networks can reset the data connection if there is no data traffic for a certain period of time. Enabing Keepalive feature will keep the data connection alive. Please let me know whether this helps or not.

Thanks

Message 67 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Please try enabling Keepalive and set the timer as 1 minutes and let me knwo whether this helps or not. If not, I will need your help to capture some logs for the team to check.

Thanks

@txagg wrote:

Add another one to the list. I just purchased this device and with my USG Pro the connection drops about every 2 - 3 minutes when in bridge mode and then comes back with a new IP after about 1 minute, making the the connection basically useless.

App Version: NTG9X07C_20.06.09.00 - Confirmed

PRI version: 04.19 - Confirmed

1. Bridge Mode
  2. Verizon
  3. VZWINTERNET
  4. IPV4V6 in APN, IPV4 in router
  5. LM1200 LAN to USG Pro WAN1
  6. Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Pro
  7. N/A

Message 68 of 233
Serdar
Aspirant

Looks like that did it, thank you! It's been fine for ~18 hours now since I enabled KeepAlive. If it happens again, I'll update.

Message 69 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Serdar wrote:

Looks like that did it, thank you! It's been fine for ~18 hours now since I enabled KeepAlive. If it happens again, I'll update.

Thanks for the quick update.Let's keep monitoring it for a few days.

Regards

Message 70 of 233
wellson
Aspirant

Popping on here to say that I was having similar issues. I'm on Verizon - also using a Netgear AirCard Antenna to supplement my cellular signal signal as I live in a state park - so relatively rural.

Seemed to me to be an intermittent issue, especially when several devices connected to the network. I am solely using the 4G LTE connection, no failover from hardwire. I'm using a TP-Link Archer A7 router as well.

Changing the keepalive setting didn't seem to make a difference but setting the modem to router mode has. Only have one question, how much data does the KeepAlive use? Like most of us I am throttled after xGB, and I'm a little alarmed to see when I connect to the modem manager that the device has supposedly used 1.7 GB in the past 25 mins. I'm continuing to set up devices, so I likely think that they are just syncing with my cloud services, etc. Just wanted to check to make sure that I don't need to readjust the KeepAlive. Let me know if I can be of any assistance in any way!

Message 71 of 233
AaronWTCI
Aspirant

My keep alive was already set at the minimal interval of 1 minute. I checked this all again and added the address 8.8.8.8, and google.com to ping. The process is still the same, as soon as i plug my sonicwall in the port pulls a dhcp address and then the LM1200 wan port shuts down. Rendering the connection useless. So I then uplug the firewall and plug in my laptop. The port comes back up and I can pull another DHCP address from Verizon and surf the net without issue. Why does this seem to be happening with wan ports on routing devices? 

There are a lot of post here in this forum of people having similiar issues across multiple devices. 

Message 72 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@AaronWTCI wrote:

My keep alive was already set at the minimal interval of 1 minute. I checked this all again and added the address 8.8.8.8, and google.com to ping. The process is still the same, as soon as i plug my sonicwall in the port pulls a dhcp address and then the LM1200 wan port shuts down. Rendering the connection useless. So I then uplug the firewall and plug in my laptop. The port comes back up and I can pull another DHCP address from Verizon and surf the net without issue. Why does this seem to be happening with wan ports on routing devices? 

There are a lot of post here in this forum of people having similiar issues across multiple devices. 

Please make sure you connect your sonicwall to the LAN port of the LM1200. The WAN port on LM1200 is for connecting your home broadband. 

Thanks

Message 73 of 233
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@wellson wrote:

Popping on here to say that I was having similar issues. I'm on Verizon - also using a Netgear AirCard Antenna to supplement my cellular signal signal as I live in a state park - so relatively rural.

Seemed to me to be an intermittent issue, especially when several devices connected to the network. I am solely using the 4G LTE connection, no failover from hardwire. I'm using a TP-Link Archer A7 router as well.

Changing the keepalive setting didn't seem to make a difference but setting the modem to router mode has. Only have one question, how much data does the KeepAlive use? Like most of us I am throttled after xGB, and I'm a little alarmed to see when I connect to the modem manager that the device has supposedly used 1.7 GB in the past 25 mins. I'm continuing to set up devices, so I likely think that they are just syncing with my cloud services, etc. Just wanted to check to make sure that I don't need to readjust the KeepAlive. Let me know if I can be of any assistance in any way!

Keepalive will use really small ammout of data. Please keep monitor the data usage. Please check what programs running on the PC used for setting up the device. The device itself doesn't have cloude services to use so much data within 25 mins.

Thanks

Message 74 of 233
AaronWTCI
Aspirant

John,

It is connected to the LAN port on the LM1200 to the WAN port on the SonicWALL, sorry for the confusion. The WAN port on the LM1200 will not be used as this is a mobile setup.  So what do i do next? RMA the device or throw it in the trash and find another vendor? Cut my losses now?

Message 75 of 233
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7