× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: LM1200 wan connection not working

oceanwolf
Aspirant

LM1200 wan connection not working

I want to use LM1200 as a failover device in the North Sierras where when we lose power, the broadband goes out in 20 mins. I have the latest firmware and if I connect only LTE modem it works fine. For some reason when I connect WAN port the modem gets the IP address, but does not route data through. See the picture that you can see the modem has the IP address (it also picks IP address if I connect to my Netgear Cable Modem) but it also shows no data flow. What am I doing wrong?

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
oceanwolf
Aspirant

Thank you John.

I switched to Router mode and I was able get the traffic through. That caused me another problem since the port numbers using public IP was not translated to local IP.

I switched to Bridge mode again and modem stayed connected and everything works great.

Thanks for all the help, now I need to find external antennas to improve the LTE reception.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 19

All Replies
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Please check some basic things first.

1. Your FW is the latest: 20.06.09.00

2. The ethernet cable connecting to your home cable modem is connected to the WAN port of LM1200. 

3. Pleae check the failover settings is set to Auto.

Capture.PNG

If all are set correctly, please do a factory reset and try again. If possible, try a new ethernet cable.

Thanks

Message 2 of 19
oceanwolf
Aspirant

Hi John,

1. Yes, the App Version is NTG9X07C 20.06 09.00

2. ethernet cable is connected to the WAN port. If you look at the picture that I attached, it shows that the port received an IP address from my router. When I connect LM1200 to the Cable Modem it also gets a IPv6 address but same thing happens, no connection (the x mark). 

3. Failover is on Auto.

4. I tried multiple cables, no change.

It just does not want to pass traffic on the broadband side. LTE works fine.

Message 3 of 19
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Please connect the LM1200 to your home cable modem and help to capture a mdoel.json file following the steps below. You can send the log to me using private message. 

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.5.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.5.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

If you haven't done a factory reset, please give it a try to see whether it makes any differences.

Thanks

Message 4 of 19
oceanwolf
Aspirant

Thanks Jason.

I did a factory reset and PM'ed you the json log.

Message 5 of 19
oceanwolf
Aspirant

Thank you John.

I switched to Router mode and I was able get the traffic through. That caused me another problem since the port numbers using public IP was not translated to local IP.

I switched to Bridge mode again and modem stayed connected and everything works great.

Thanks for all the help, now I need to find external antennas to improve the LTE reception.

Message 6 of 19
exxchef
Aspirant

I have run the firmware update, and both ports appear to be live. I want the device's cellular as a failover only.  I have connected from arris modem to nighthawk rax80 router. What is the best setting for successful failover? Bridge, Ping frequency, and router setting recommendations? Etc.

Message 7 of 19
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@exxchef wrote:

I have run the firmware update, and both ports appear to be live. I want the device's cellular as a failover only.  I have connected from arris modem to nighthawk rax80 router. What is the best setting for successful failover? Bridge, Ping frequency, and router setting recommendations? Etc.

Depending on your purpose, if you plans to use LM1200's failover as backup for all your network, it is better to set up LM1200 the following way.

Arris Modem -> LM1200 WAN Port - LM1200 LAN Port -> RAX80.

When Arris fails, LM1200 can switch to 4G network to make sure RAX80 can have data connections.

Thanks

John

Message 8 of 19
exxchef
Aspirant

thanks John. Bridge?

Message 9 of 19
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Yes. Bridge mode is fine.

Thanks

John

Message 10 of 19
exxchef
Aspirant

With this setup, it's only running cellular and won't pass through the cable modem.  says that the landline ethernet is not 

exxchef_0-1660752419933.png

Message 11 of 19
exxchef
Aspirant

I can't seem to get the lm1200 to work as a pass-through with the wireline.  Im sure it's something simple, but I don't know what it is!

Message 12 of 19
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@exxchef wrote:

I can't seem to get the lm1200 to work as a pass-through with the wireline.  Im sure it's something simple, but I don't know what it is!

Can you try connect in the following way to see whether LM1200 can detect the WN port data connection?

Cable Modem -> RAX80 -> LM1200 WAN Port - LM1200 LAN Port -> a PC

Another user seems to report the same issue that LM1200 can't detect the WAN data when connecting to a cable modem directly.

Please help to confirm.

Thanks

John

Message 13 of 19
Guardian5
Aspirant

I had the same problem described above with my Netgear LM1200. It would not detect the wired connection directly from my cable modem (Arris). After restarting, the LM1200 would show all green lights for less than a minute before the traffic light would turn orange and the management page showed a big red X for the wired internet connection and active green for the LTE connection. Once I changed the LM1200 to receiving wired internet directly from my router (Tp-Link) WAN port, the LM1200 shows a green wired internet connection and the LTE as grey standby. As it happens, I would prefer this arrangement as long as the LM1200 still functions as a failover (I haven’t tested that part yet).
Hope this feedback is of use. Thanks for the help in the thread above as it gave me direction about what to try next.
Message 14 of 19
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Guardian5 wrote:
I had the same problem described above with my Netgear LM1200. It would not detect the wired connection directly from my cable modem (Arris). After restarting, the LM1200 would show all green lights for less than a minute before the traffic light would turn orange and the management page showed a big red X for the wired internet connection and active green for the LTE connection. Once I changed the LM1200 to receiving wired internet directly from my router (Tp-Link) WAN port, the LM1200 shows a green wired internet connection and the LTE as grey standby. As it happens, I would prefer this arrangement as long as the LM1200 still functions as a failover (I haven’t tested that part yet).
Hope this feedback is of use. Thanks for the help in the thread above as it gave me direction about what to try next.

Please provide the model of your cable modem (Arris).

John

Message 15 of 19
danlo315
Tutor

I have a similar issue.  Just bought the LM1200 and done the following:

- running latest firmware (NTG9X07C_20.06.09.00)

- Spectrum gigabit service plugged into LM1200 WAN

- Google Fi data SIM activated and working (confirmed by plugging a laptop directly into the LM1200)

- LM1200 LAN plugged into Edgerouter-4, Omada switches/WAP

- Bridge mode

- Setup failover as automatic

I just did a test by turning off the cable modem, and the network transitioned over to LTE.  However, when I turn the cable modem back on, the transition back did not happen.  I also noticed that I was not able to access the LM1200 admin portal during this time.  Once I reboot the LM1200 by pulling/reconnecting the power, it then switched back to cable modem.

Message 16 of 19
Guardian5
Aspirant

It's an Arris SURFboard S33

Message 17 of 19
Mistercod
Aspirant

So I have a Sim card in The Lm1200 and I get connection but nothing can connect to it wirelessly and I have a router connected to it just wondering if there's a fix?
Message 18 of 19
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Mistercod wrote:
So I have a Sim card in The Lm1200 and I get connection but nothing can connect to it wirelessly and I have a router connected to it just wondering if there's a fix?

LM1200 is just a wireless modem. It is not a WiFi router. You need to connect a WiFi router to LM1200 LAN port in order to connect your WiFi clients.

John

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7