× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

LTE Modem Connectivity question

Digital999
Luminary

LTE Modem Connectivity question

I am looking for a modem just like the Netgear LTE Broadband Modem.

My question revolves around the use of a SIM card with the Netgear device on a GSM network.

Can I occasionally remove my SIM card from the phone, insert it into the Netgear device and gain data connectivity?

So far I have received 5 different answers from the AT&T and T-Mobile folks.  Either they do not know or are not experienced enough to provide a factual reply. 

Hopefully the Netgear experts can provide an answer.

Model: LB2120|4G LTE Modem
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: LTE Modem Connectivity question

@Digital999 wrote:

Can I occasionally remove my SIM card from the phone, insert it into the Netgear device and gain data connectivity?

Maybe - there is an article here from someone who did it:  https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2019/09/swapping-my-phone-sim-card-into-a-mobile-router-wasnt-as-painful-a...

There is more than one physical form factor for SIM cards - which is a possible complication.  Also if the phone or router is locked to the carrier, migrating the SIM card might not work.

I don't think you'd risk anything by trying it.  Note I haven't tried this myself.  If others have, it'd be good to chime in (and give the carrier).

Message 2 of 5
Purduephotog
Guide

I have Google Fi. I can remove my Sim from my phone and provision it in the device. Going back to the phone is easy, too.

However Google Fi gives 'free' data sims, you just pay the $$ per gb.

Message 3 of 5
Digital999
Luminary

Thank you for taking the time to answer my query.  Very considerate and much appreciated. 

I did not know what Google Fi was and after your lead it looks like that is the plan for me.  I will be testing in my area to ensure it works.

Message 4 of 5
Purduephotog
Guide

I'm glad I could help. If you want, I can give you a referral. Gives me some box, and I think you get you a small discount. Don't know, haven't really used it.

also, if you do go the data Sim route and leave one permanently in the LTE modem, make sure you flip it on and off every now and then to keep the SIM registered. I had one where I didn't do that for six or eight months, due to travel, and it went deactivated. I had to get another one and pop in there. The data Sims are no cost, and once you register them on the network, they're easily swapped around. I will note that Google sent me a cellular Sim when I should have gotten a data Sim once, and that screw up led to about a week's worth of trouble until I pulled out another Sim order and figured out they made a mistake. Good luck
Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7