× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

M6 Pro (MR6500) Dual band Issue

Moto69xer
Aspirant

M6 Pro (MR6500) Dual band Issue

I recently purchased a 5G WiFi 6E Mobile Router (MR6500) with a Firstnet plan from AT&T and have a problem I haven't been able to solve. The 2.4, 5 and 6GHz modes work fine by themselves. The problem is when I turn on "Dual-Band (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz) Wifi 6" or "Dual-Band (2.4 GHz & 6 GHz) Wifi 6E" the only SSID that shows up on my devices is the one for the 2.4GHz network. I made sure both networks are broadcasting in the settings and had different names. I tested to see if it was a Wifi version issue by using a Pixel 7 Pro that has Wifi 6 and 6E support but, even then, I could only see the 2.4GHz network. I also noticed my guest network does not show up at all. I have tried to reset the hotspot to factory defaults a few times to no avail. I contacted Netgear support to get help with this issue but was told it wasn't their problem since it was purchased at AT&T. I figured I would check here to see if this is a known issue that can be solved or if I should just claim warranty with AT&T and try another unit. I would rather not have to do this as the unit I have took almost 2 weeks to arrive.

Firmware version - NTGX65_10.01.47.00

Firmware build date - 2022/07/08

Hardware version - 1.0

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: M6 Pro (MR6500) Dual band Issue

@Moto69xer wrote:

The problem is when I turn on "Dual-Band (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz) Wifi 6" or "Dual-Band (2.4 GHz & 6 GHz) Wifi 6E" the only SSID that shows up on my devices is the one for the 2.4GHz network.

In the dual band modes, only one SSID can be configured and on the air for the "Dual-Band (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz) Wifi 6" resp. "Dual-Band (2.4 GHz & 6 GHz) Wifi 6E" . Only one network name is shown for the dual-band modes. This is not specific to this MR6500 btw. https://kb.netgear.com/18619/Wireless--Simultaneous-vs-Selectable-Dual-Band  

There are better indications available e.g. in the classic Android WiFi Analyzer App (by farproc aka. KevingYuan) - there you find the same SSID split up into two (or many more) entries with the same SSID but different BSSIDs (radio MAC addresses), also of operating more complex wireless networks with many APs working on the same SSID.

@Moto69xer wrote:

I made sure both networks are broadcasting in the settings and had different names.

Well, this can't have an effect in the simultaneous dual-band modes.

This is almost a classic mis-interpretation since the first wireless AP or routers allowed the same SSID on multiple radios, sometimes named smart connect. every modern wireless client can deal with this - no idea why people still stick on the late 1990 ideas to have one wireless name for each band and radio.

Have fun!

-Kurt

Message 2 of 4
Moto69xer
Aspirant

Not sure I'm following your statement that:

"In the dual band modes, only one SSID can be configured and on the air for the "Dual-Band (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz) Wifi 6" resp. "Dual-Band (2.4 GHz & 6 GHz) Wifi 6E. Only one network name is shown for the dual-band modes. This is not specific to this MR6500 btw."

I've attached a picture containing the menus I am seeing while setting up dual band mode (Using example SSIDs). Hopefully it will be helpful. I am definitely able to create two different SSIDs associated to each band while in dual band Wifi 6 mode and have each one set to broadcast its SSID in the menus (as seen in part 3 and 4 of my picture). My problem is that the 5GHz band which should show up as the SSID "Network" on my device, does not. Not even in the wifi analyzer app. I am only able to see the SSID "Network_2.4" in the wifi analyzers' 2.4GHz network tab which is correct. The 5GHz tab shows no network bands or SSIDs being detected at all like the router is not broadcasting as it says it is. Which is weird because 5GHz mode by itself works and broadcasts as it should. I believe the unit may have a hardware problem at this point as I have used other routers that have had no problem broadcasting 2 different SSIDs for the two bands selected. As for setting both SSIDs to be the same. I am aware that I can set them both to be on the same SSID but I need them to be two seperate ones for my application. Hope this clarifies things a little more. I appreciate your help so far.

Message 3 of 4
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Moto69xer wrote:

Not sure I'm following your statement that:

"In the dual band modes, only one SSID can be configured and on the air for the "Dual-Band (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz) Wifi 6" resp. "Dual-Band (2.4 GHz & 6 GHz) Wifi 6E. Only one network name is shown for the dual-band modes. This is not specific to this MR6500 btw."

I've attached a picture containing the menus I am seeing while setting up dual band mode (Using example SSIDs). Hopefully it will be helpful. I am definitely able to create two different SSIDs associated to each band while in dual band Wifi 6 mode and have each one set to broadcast its SSID in the menus (as seen in part 3 and 4 of my picture). My problem is that the 5GHz band which should show up as the SSID "Network" on my device, does not. Not even in the wifi analyzer app. I am only able to see the SSID "Network_2.4" in the wifi analyzers' 2.4GHz network tab which is correct. The 5GHz tab shows no network bands or SSIDs being detected at all like the router is not broadcasting as it says it is. Which is weird because 5GHz mode by itself works and broadcasts as it should. I believe the unit may have a hardware problem at this point as I have used other routers that have had no problem broadcasting 2 different SSIDs for the two bands selected. As for setting both SSIDs to be the same. I am aware that I can set them both to be on the same SSID but I need them to be two seperate ones for my application. Hope this clarifies things a little more. I appreciate your help so far.

As FCC required, WiFi 6E can't be enabled in mobile router. In order to use WiFi 6E, you have to set the device in fixed wireless setup by using the device without the battery inserted.

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7