× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

***MR1100-NSA100 : FYI T-Mobile customers ***

saj3417
Aspirant

***MR1100-NSA100 : FYI T-Mobile customers ***

This is regarding tech support case number: 42350449

I purchased an unlocked Netgear MR1100-100NAS late December 2019, that had some weird battery charging issues but nothing to be concerned about. Then Netgear released firmware version 12.06.08.00, I read the release notes and it stated there were minor fixes so I decided to upgrade.

The upgrade completely broke the LTE interface and I was no longer able to attach to T-Mobile’s LTE network. I thought no big deal, I’ll just roll back to the older version (12.05.05.00_00), but that did not work the unit kept generating an “Invalid update file. Error Code 16”. I tried to reflash with the latest code that might clear the issue but I the same error code. In summary I’ve tried the following to get the unit back to normal operation before reaching out to Netgear technical support:

1. Restoring to factory defaults
  2. Reverting to firmware 12.05.05.00 via the Ethernet port
  3. Reverting to firmware 12.05.05.00 via the Wi-Fi
  4. Reverting to firmware 12.05.05.00 via the Wi-Fi Google Chrome browser
  5. Reverting to firmware 12.05.05.00 via the Wi-Fi Mozilla Firefox browser
  6. Reverting to firmware 12.05.05.00 via the Wi-Fi Microsoft IE browser
  7. Removing the T-Mobile SIM then attempting to revert to 12.05.05.00

All failed with “Invalid update file. Error Code 16”, at this point I decided to open a case with Netgear support. After explaining the issue and repeating several of the steps outlined above, they stated that the latest firmware 12.06.08.00 has issues with T-Mobile’s LTE network and they had to ship me a replacement. This was bit of an inconvenience but not a big deal. After a few moments checking with the warehouse the Netgear support representative stated that the unlocked model (MR1100-100NAS) was currently out of stock with no ETA on the horizon. They had no alternative options to address my issue and my only option was to wait and hope that their stock would be replenished soon.

This was an extremely disappointing experience considering the cost of the unit and the inconvenience Netgear’s poor support for an issue their latest firmware clearly created. It also makes me wonder, what if my unit was beyond the warrantee time, would that just mean I’m stuck with a unit their firmware broke?

I would not recommend purchasing this product if you are a T-Mobile customer. Netgear’s firmware testing, quality control and support are poor. How could they miss such an obvious flaw with the latest firmware on T-Mobile’s network, it leads me be believe that the latest release was never tested on the T-Mobile LTE network.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions

Re: ***MR1100-NSA100 : FYI T-Mobile customers ***

I have a post liniking to a way to force the downgrade if you are a bit tech savy it is easy enough check my post about 12.06.11 burning through battery, and you will find a link to a post detailing how to forcce downgrade.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 29

All Replies

Yeah been having issues with the latest firmware my self from poor battery performance and other issues, and I use this router for work... Just gotta love the crickets on there end.

Message 2 of 29

I have a post liniking to a way to force the downgrade if you are a bit tech savy it is easy enough check my post about 12.06.11 burning through battery, and you will find a link to a post detailing how to forcce downgrade.

Message 3 of 29
saj3417
Aspirant

I had some issues finding FDT.EXE, but once I got pass that hurdle, I was able to downgrade the router to release 12.05.05 and BOOM!! T-Mobile LTE service restored. Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

This is my last Netgear product purchase. I will never purchase or recommend Netgear to anyone based on their service and support.

-Thanks !!

Message 4 of 29
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@saj3417 wrote:

I had some issues finding FDT.EXE, but once I got pass that hurdle, I was able to downgrade the router to release 12.05.05 and BOOM!! T-Mobile LTE service restored. Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

This is my last Netgear product purchase. I will never purchase or recommend Netgear to anyone based on their service and support.

-Thanks !!

When you say your T-Mobile service is restored, what do you mean by that? Was your T-Mobile service was blocked or your data connection was not stable?

Thanks

Message 5 of 29

I cannot speak for them but I can confirm for me, that the latest update did make my connection very unstable and the modem was constantly hopping LTE bands, and had to join them on 12.05.05 to get an effective working unit, the last two update have had various bugs, some of which I have mentioned in other posts, Extreme battery usuage  (even got a new battery), not staying off during charging, Constant band hopping leading to unusable Tmobile LTE connections, and I could continue.

Please as a software negineer myself and have worked as a test engineer in the past. Please spend more time on testing firmwares, as this few last batches of updates have been poorly QA checked. I will likely join this poster in not buying another netgear product if this is the kind of support your team has been put to as a mark of quality...

Message 6 of 29
saj3417
Aspirant

Downgrading to release 12.05.05 restored the T-Mobile service. I took my device to the T-Mobile store prior to opening a case with Netgear support just to make sure and they stated that the device was not blocked, I even called their tech support staff thereafter and asked the same question several times and the answer was no.

Message 7 of 29
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@saj3417 wrote:

Downgrading to release 12.05.05 restored the T-Mobile service. I took my device to the T-Mobile store prior to opening a case with Netgear support just to make sure and they stated that the device was not blocked, I even called their tech support staff thereafter and asked the same question several times and the answer was no.

We released an update 12.06.11.00 last week. Please give it a try and check whether this resolved your issue as well.

Could you please advise that before you downgraded to 12.05.05.00, you could not get on T-Mobile network at all or just the data connection keeps dropping? 

Thanks

Message 8 of 29
saj3417
Aspirant

Responses inline:

We released an update 12.06.11.00 last week. Please give it a try and check whether this resolved your issue as well.

Absutely not, I have no confidence in Netgear's software quality. I did not pay $300 US to be a beta tester for Netgear.

Besides, where in the release notes below for 12.06.11.00 is the T-Mobile issue specifically called out:

Bug Fixes:

Updated AutoAPN database to 01.30

Reverted a change that could potentially cause the device loses data connection when temperary out of coverage

Addressed the issue that Heated Battery Alert is displayed prematurely

Addressed the connection issue when ethernet offloading to Orbi

Disabled WiFi and Ethernet port standby timers when the device is tethered or charged

Could you please advise that before you downgraded to 12.05.05.00, you could not get on T-Mobile network at all or just the data connection keeps dropping?

No connection, keeps bouncing between 3G and HSPA+ but never established a network link.

Message 9 of 29
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@saj3417 wrote:

Responses inline:

Absutely not, I have no confidence in Netgear's software quality. I did not pay $300 US to be a beta tester for Netgear.

Besides, where in the release notes below for 12.06.11.00 is the T-Mobile issue specifically called out:

Bug Fixes:

Updated AutoAPN database to 01.30

Reverted a change that could potentially cause the device loses data connection when temperary out of coverage

Addressed the issue that Heated Battery Alert is displayed prematurely

Addressed the connection issue when ethernet offloading to Orbi

Disabled WiFi and Ethernet port standby timers when the device is tethered or charged

No connection, keeps bouncing between 3G and HSPA+ but never established a network link.

"Reverted a change that could potentially cause the device loses data connection when temperary out of coverage"

This is about the disconnection issue. Due to the network conditions, some users may see this issue more obvious.

Thanks

Message 10 of 29
saj3417
Aspirant

Sorry, the bullet point is too vauge for me to take on the risk of upgrading. I've wasted too much of my personal time on the phone with Netgear support, troubleshooting on my own and researching online to get my unit back on 12.05.05 (Many thanks to BlightedTalon). The worst part of the experience was the inability to downgrade via the Netgear web user interface.

Message 11 of 29

I was on 12.06.11, The heated battery alert and stopping charging was still happening on my device even on 12.06.11, also you know Unstale LTE band hopping, it was not going down to 3g but was hopping around on lte bands causing random dissconnects, I did somewhat fix this but telneting in and adding elements to the band selection menu and enforcing only one band. but not something the regular customer should have knowledge to do, but did address the T-Mobile US issue I was facing, again upon many other firmware issues felt on 12.06.11... thus I am not on 12.05.05 as last stable one for me to use.

Message 12 of 29
RedRaspberry
Guide

I just got an ATT unlocked MR1100 and have it connected to a TMobile SIM .  My firmware is NTG9X50C_12.05.12.  No issues connecting to either ATT or T Mobile using the appropriate SIM.

Message 13 of 29
RedRaider
Aspirant

Good Morning, can you repost the link. When I click on the View Solution it takes me back to the same page. Thank you

Message 14 of 29
RedRaider
Aspirant

Good Morning, I am having the same issue you described receiving the error message when trying to downgrade the firmware. Were you able to find a way to have your MR1100 work again with Tmobile? Thank you for your help
Message 15 of 29
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

You found out that T-Mobile changed their plan for M1. If you are using a SIM card for tablet, it will not work with M1 any more. You need to upgrade your plan to Mobile Hotspot.

Thanks

Message 16 of 29
RedRaider
Aspirant

John, I have purchased a LB 1120 and it works great. I believe the issue is most deffinitely the Firmware with the MR1100. Just like everyone in this feed is saying. Thanks

Message 17 of 29
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@RedRaider wrote:

John, I have purchased a LB 1120 and it works great. I believe the issue is most deffinitely the Firmware with the MR1100. Just like everyone in this feed is saying. Thanks

Please refer to this community post on the T-Mobile disconnection issue.

"

Re: broadband disconnected

Problem found.

My hotspot has been running on the T Mobile system as a tablet. (T Mobile set it up when I bought it)

With the firmware update, the system realized it was a hotspot instead of a tablet. The T Mobile engineer I was working with changed my line to a hotspot data line and the device starting communicating right away.

If your hotspot is still not working you are on a tablet or phone type line and you will have to change your line type and T Mobile plan (at a lot more money).

Many thanks to John Peng for his assistance."

LB1120 and M1 may have different category on T-Mobile network. That is why the SIM can work on LB, but not on M1.

Thanks

Message 18 of 29
RedRaider
Aspirant

A easy option to downgrade the firmware to 12.05.05.00_00 would be great. Does Netgear have any options for us to easily downgrade the firmware back to 12.05.05.00_00? 

Message 19 of 29
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Can someone in this forum confirm that after they downgraded to 12.05.05.00 and their SIM card started working again?

If so, we will take a look on this.

Thanks

Message 20 of 29
RedRaider
Aspirant

John, in multiple feeds people have confirmed that downgrading to 12.05.05.00_00 has fixed the issue. My MR1100 was working great on Tmobile until I upgrade the firmware. The moment I upgraded the firmware I was unable to connect to Tmobile. Please fix this item, that would be absolutely great to allow us to easily downgrade the firmware, I am a long time Netgear customer. Thank you 

Message 21 of 29

John, I mean mine works kinda on latest firmware but works way better on 12.05.05. to The rest k will try to post Instructions on downgrading here a bit later after I finish a clean up from a water leak.
Message 22 of 29

Message 23 of 29
RedRaider
Aspirant

With the help of JohnPeng, we downgraded my MR1100 to 12.05.05, this did not fix the issue with T-mobile. It definitely appears the issue with no data is on the side of the T-Mobile network and not Netgear. Hopefully T-Mobile will allow the MR1100 to work on their network again soon. Thanks again JohnPeng  for your help.

Message 24 of 29
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@RedRaider wrote:

With the help of JohnPeng, we downgraded my MR1100 to 12.05.05, this did not fix the issue with T-mobile. It definitely appears the issue with no data is on the side of the T-Mobile network and not Netgear. Hopefully T-Mobile will allow the MR1100 to work on their network again soon. Thanks again JohnPeng  for your help.

Thanks for the information. Based on our investigation, T-Mobile is not blocking the sevice to M1. You need to get the data plan for mobile hotspot in order to use M1. Customers experiencing disconnection issue on T-Mobile need to contact T-Mobile to update the subcription.

Regards

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7