× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR1100 Nighthawk M1 Carrier Aggregation

MR1100 Nighthawk M1 Carrier Aggregation

Hello all. I have the MR1100 Nighthawk M1 with Band 13 support running on ATT network. My download speeds are usually around 70 to 80 mbps. The whole reason I bought this Nighthawk M1 is that it supports Carrier Aggregration. According to the GUI details, I usually run on Band 4. How can I tell if my Nighthawk is using Carrier Aggregration? Do you know if it's using CA if I am getting speeds of 80mbps? If it isn't, do you know when CA is going to be supported? I would really appreciate some answers on this issue as I live in a rural area and my only feasible option for good internet is with 4G LTE. I want it to run as fast as possible.Thanks.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 2
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Re: MR1100 Nighthawk M1 Carrier Aggregation

Hi @baileyrhood90,

Welcome.  Yeah, we all have the same question.  With no answers yet, unfortunately.  I beleive the MR1100 is likely doing 2xCA (as most cellular devices do).  But I've seen no evidence that the unit is capable of doing >2xCA nor >2x2MIMO, nor 256QAM.   Sure the Qualcomm modem should, in theory, be able to do this, but if it is not enabled by the Netgear firmware and/or AT&T specific software than it never will.

My old iPhone 6S is almost always faster than the MR1100 on my unlimited AT&T plan.  Of course my 6S is also faster (peak) and far more reliable than my new XS Max.  I routinely get 110-160Mbit on my 6S at multiple locations when close to cell towers.  I've never gotten more than 110-120 on the MR1100 in the sam location.  My Velocity 2 clocks in a bit lower 80-90Mbit but screams on uploades >20-30 Mbit.  Where as the MR1100 and two iphones are usually 5-15Mbit, with the XS Max being the worse.

Recently on 12.1 Beta 3, my XS max has peaked very, very briefly about as high as my 6S (140-160Mbit).  And when I have a strong signal it averages higher than the 6S (~60-80Mbit versus 20-40Mbit).  But with less than two or three bars (most of the time as the antenna array sucks) connectivity is very wonky.  It switchs to 4G multiple times a day, and I have to toggle airplane mode at least 10 times a day.

More and more, the best hotspot (though much more expensive) seems to be a Samsung Galaxy phone with a big Anker battery.

Sorry to be such a "debbie downer" (-:

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7