× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR1100 Nighthawk battery and signal strength question

bwcacanoe
Aspirant

MR1100 Nighthawk battery and signal strength question

I just bought an AT&T Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot MR1100. I know the manual says it will cut down on power to the battery if left plugged in, but I keep getting messages to Unplug the unit. For long battery life, should I leave the unit plugged in or cycle the battery by unplugging the unit and recharging. Second issue. I know I have the lucky signal strength bars on the display, but can I go into the unit and see actural signal strength numbers anywhere? Thanks for the help.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 7
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Re: MR1100 Nighthawk battery and signal strength question

Hi @bwcacanoe,

If you intend to leave the unit plugged in 24x7 you can remove the battery entirely if you replace the charger with a quality QC2 or QC3 charger from a reputable company like Anker.  Many of us run the units this way.  Early Telesta units seemed to have issues whit premature battery failure when left plugged in or run down too low.  This seems to have been corrected by updated firmware.  But I'd still rather take the battery out if needed.  Unforutnately the battery cannot be purchased retail, and getting replacements is difficult.

Yes, you can view the Cellular signal strength both the in the management app (iOS and Android) or by browsing to the Admin webpage (ex 192.168.1.1).  Is this what you were asking?

-Jonathan

Message 2 of 7
bwcacanoe
Aspirant

Thanks Jonathan, that was the information I was looking for and was very helpful. When I go into the hot spot from my browser or the app, I just get things like "signal strength fair" but no numbers as to dbm. I've gone into settings looking at network etc. but can't find any real numbers.

Message 3 of 7
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Great.  Keep digging, it's definately in there on one of the network or advanced status pages.  I don't have the device in front of me so I cannot tell you how to get there at the moment (sorry).

But once of the pages definately has LTE signal.  Mine is typically -91 to -105dB at home.

-Jonathan

Message 4 of 7
jpr78
Tutor

Looks at the pics in this post. You want to go to the Diagnostic tab to see the info you're looking for.

Settings > AT&T Wi-Fi Status > Diagnostics

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/How-to-configure-Nighthawk-M1-as-4G-...

Message 5 of 7
bwcacanoe
Aspirant

You folks are the best. Here's what I've found:

If you go in on the browser and open 192.168.1.1, you get the "opening screen". From there select "Settings" and then "Diagnostics" and on this screen you get the dBm numbers.

If you go in on the Netgear app (iOS), you go to "Settings", and then "Network", and then "Advanced Info", and on this screen you get the dBm numbers.

I can't thank you enough for helping me work through this and find the information I need to position and gain the most benefit from the Nighthawk LTE Router. I have my anker charger on order and a longer USB-C cable. 

Message 6 of 7
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Awesome,

My/Our pleasure.  One other general comment.  The Wifi range on the MR1100 is not great (even on the "Long" setting).  If you need more range run Ethernet to a dedicated wireless access point and/or Ethernet switch centrally located in your space.

For example:

Switch (don't get the POE version, some say the MR1100 doesn't like to see the voltage)

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Lifetime-Protection/dp/B00MPVR50A/ref=sr_1_1?s=ele...

WAP:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Supports-Technology-EAP245/dp/B01N0XZ1TU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&...

If you cannot easily run Ethernet, MOCA also works well if you have COAX available.

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8...

The jury still seems to be out on the best antenna for the TS9 connections and the extent to which they do or do not help.  In general cheap consumer/prosumer antennas seem to do little or make things worse.  Some have had good success with professional ($$$) directional, MIMO antennas on masts.  Others tend to have a lot of band hopping.

Best,
Jonathan

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7