× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: MR1100 Strict NAT

dw1009
Follower

MR1100 Strict NAT

I recently purchased the MR1100 Nighthawk LTE mobile hotspot from ATT and while I love the router for its speed and connection (rural user without high speed options) I am having a bit of a time getting it to release the Strict NAT from the XBOX One.  I have tried port forwarding, I have tried setting up the DMZ, I have tried disabling and then re-enabling the UPNP.  The error on the Xbox is showing UPNP as the source of the strict NAT and I have followed every suggestion I can find to remedy this.  I am familiar with port forwarding and I thought this would have corrected the issues but alas not so.   I have even tried to bridge the router to an exsisting Netgear R6300 (succesfully) but that gives me a double Strict NAT even with port forwarding on both routers set.  Anyone had any luck on getting the NAT to moderate if not open on the MR1100 for use with an Xbox One?  If I can resove this I have to scrap it and return for a different approach.  Thanks

Message 1 of 17
Brendanfox84
Aspirant

Having same problem have you solved it
Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1
Message 2 of 17
Enginerd1516
Aspirant

Having trouble with my xbox live connectivity.  I can connect ok, but the IP comes in as IPV4 and a Strict NAT Type.  I would like to know if it is possible to adjust the Nighthawk settings to make the NAT Type either open or moderate.  Also, is it possible to make the router IPV6?

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 3 of 17
OldGamer
Aspirant

I am haveing the same issue and have been working on this issue for the past four days since the mr1100 came in the mail. AT&T is my service provider. I have the MR1100 Driectly hooked to my gaming PC via ethernet, with no other routers. I have also tried DMZ, Port Fowarding, as well as many other setting combinations to no avail. When I try to play MMO games such as Warframe or Destiny 2 I get error messages from the game saying im behind strict NAT settings.

Any expertise on this topic would be greatly appreciated by the very large gaming community that are intrested in the MR1100 as a viable option in rural areas to game with.

Thanks

Message 4 of 17
CountryGaming
Aspirant

The problem for the most part is unfixable, double NAT and strict NAT and only IPV4 are the standard in today's mobile networks. DMZ will help in my experience with connections issues with friends but the over all problem is gonna be there too stay no matter your attempts because it's built into their Networks.
Message 5 of 17
Sean101
Aspirant

Hi dw1009,

Most cellular connections has a strict NAT type and most inbound packets are closed or filtered. If you are with AT&T you can request for a static IP or set a DynDNS on you R6300 which I believe will handle inbound and outbound packets instead of the ISP(Please correct me if I'm wrong). Kindly check the link below to enable DynDNS on your device:

https://kb.netgear.com/23860

Message 6 of 17
rkelley35
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with xbox live as well as directv on demand with thts router.  If I turn on the hot spot on my iphone everything works.  Both the router and iphone are on the same AT&T plan.  Why would the phone hotspot work but not the mobile hotspot?

Message 7 of 17
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rkelley35,

Can any other devices connect to your MR1100? Is your firmware up to date? have you done a factory reset on your device? What is the version of your firmware?

Please let me know if the factory reset resolves the issue. :]

- Jason N

Message 8 of 17
rkelley35
Aspirant

All my devices can connect to the MR1100. The only devices that seem to be having a problem are the xbox 360 and Xbox one. I have factory reset and the firmware is up to date. I’m not currently at home to get the firmware number but as of last night there were no updates available.
Message 9 of 17
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rkelley35,

Thank you for the reply. Your directv is able to connect now with the MR1100? I wanted to double check that you confirm that the xbox can connect with your phone's hotspot?

Please let me know. :]

- Jason N

Message 10 of 17
Joyfuldad
Aspirant

My iphone 8plus hotspot works for xbox one not the greatest connection and 5 miles from tower but just as good as my old line of site stuff. Although i was hoping the nighthawk would improve the experience
Message 11 of 17
rkelley35
Aspirant

All of my devices can connect to the mr1100 and get an up address. I am not able to use dtv On demand as it says my speeds are not fast enough even though the built in speed test says I can instantly watch 4K content. When I turn in my iPhone hotspot I am able to connect to xbox live. I have limited hotspot data in my phone and that’s why I got the nighthawk only to find out that it doesn’t work.
Message 12 of 17
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rkelley35,

Have you tried connecting through the Ethernet port? Have you tried setting up the network settings of the xbox?

Refer to this thread in the link below and try the xbox DNS setup:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/Nighthawk-M1-mobile-router-not-conne...

Please let me know. :]

- Jason N

Message 13 of 17
rkelley35
Aspirant

Yes I have tried all of that. I think the problem is the wan address from AT&T is a private address (10.x.x.x) and the router is also giving out private addresses (192.168.x.x) via dhcp
Message 14 of 17
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rkelley35,

Please refer to the link below:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/Changing-nat-type-from-strict-to-ope...

"Internet service over LTE is usually double NATed. There's nothing you can do to avoid this short of using a VPN."

I would try to contact your ISP and see if they have a solution on the private IP address

- Jason N

Message 15 of 17
rkelley35
Aspirant

I understand that but it makes completely no sense that my iPhone hotspot works but the nighthawk doesn’t when then both are in the same unlimited plan, same account, same everything
Message 16 of 17
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rkelley35,

It is a little confusing. I know you have the same plan and account but you also have to see that a phone and mobile router are two different devices. :]

- Jason N

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7