× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR1100 and Streaming HD: AT&T unlimited plan

yesidrivethesaa
Follower

MR1100 and Streaming HD: AT&T unlimited plan

Hi folks,

My fiance and I are moving to a place where there are no other internet options other than mobile 4G LTE coverage through a service called Nomad. They sent us an unlimited AT&T SIM card and I've got my MR1100 set up with a MIMO antenna on the roof and am getting download speeds of ~35 mb/s download. I plugged my Nighthawk directly into our Roku TV via ethernet cable and tried to stream and it just doesn't want to stream in HD. I also can't get other video playback services to run at 1080p e.g. YouTube and Twitch without pretty significant buffering.

Everything I've read from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and the like all say that HD requires 5 mb/s down. Is there anyone that can help me figure out what's going on or if there are any settings I can change to get this thing to play HD video? Could it be my LTE service? Everything else on wifi seems to be running fantastically, it's only streaming that is an issue.

I can get RSRP and RSRQ numbers tomorrow, but they are somewhere in the -76 to -78 and -8 to -9 range, if that is helpful.

Message 1 of 3
icaruspony
Luminary

Re: MR1100 and Streaming HD: AT&T unlimited plan

Does your provider shape video traffic?

For example, on my post-paid AT&T account, I can go to art.com and disable bandwidth saver to enable HD video streaming.

Another way to test is to set up a VPN and test again.  If it works, then it is your cellular provider shaping traffic.

Message 2 of 3
icaruspony
Luminary

Re: MR1100 and Streaming HD: AT&T unlimited plan

Correction:  att.com  (for some reason I can't edit my replies on here)

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7