× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR1100 - poor internet quality

Ni_co_las
Aspirant

MR1100 - poor internet quality

Hi,

I purchased the MR1100 (US version).

I did some testing in order to check that it is a good investment. What a disappointment!

I made lots of internet speed testing with the MR1100 and also with my smartphone (Iphone X) and compared them...

My expectation was that the MR1100 would deliver better results than my Iphone X but it was the other way around.

My Iphone was connected to different LTE band which leads to better results (Download Speed 42Mbps compared to MR1100 Download Speed less than 4Mbps on LTE band 2). Also I observed that the MR1100 was hopping from one band to another one.

At the end I am disappointed and I regret buying the device. Did anyone experience the same?

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 6
jpr78
Tutor

Re: MR1100 - poor internet quality

Were you using the MR100 WIFI for testing? If  so, the 2.4Ghz WIFI band on the MR100 is not good. If you did all your testing on this connection, either try the 5 Ghz WIFI band or try Ethernet instead. You will most likely see much better speeds.

Message 2 of 6
tmoffitt
Aspirant

Having the same issue.  Decent ATT cell service on my Iphone X with 25 mbps or more down.  Can't get anymore than about 2-3 mbps on the Nighthawk.  That's both 2.4ghz or 5ghz. Any suggestions.

Message 3 of 6
jpr78
Tutor

@tmoffitt wrote:

Having the same issue.  Decent ATT cell service on my Iphone X with 25 mbps or more down.  Can't get anymore than about 2-3 mbps on the Nighthawk.  That's both 2.4ghz or 5ghz. Any suggestions.

Does ethernet give you good speeds? If so, get a wireless router and disable wifi on the nighthawk.

Message 4 of 6
tmoffitt
Aspirant

Unfortunately, no.  Tried that.  Same speeds.  

Message 5 of 6
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

I also have the AT&T MR1100.  On 5.8Ghz, 40Mhz, I typically get up to 90Mbit down (25-40Mbit is more common) and 5-15Mbit up.  When comparing side by side to my iPhone 6s during my ~90min commute, my iPhone beats it every time.  Not by much, just 5-15Mbit, but seriously?  My iPhone is like 3 years old ?!?!

My AT&T Velocity 2 gives roughly the same performance as the MR1100.  Slighly slower (5-10Mbit) at times.  It was half the price and has better stability, better Wifi range, and a tough screen.

-Jonathan

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7