× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: MR1100 speed problems on AT&T

bkenobi
Aspirant

MR1100 speed problems on AT&T

I recently switched from Verizon to AT&T so I could use the MR1100 for my broadband at home (replacing 1mbps DSL). The phones work fine when speed testing getting speeds of 10-50d/5-30u. However, the hotspot seems to have an issue after some time (hours usually). If I reset it and try at night, I get good speed. If I check again in the morning, I might have 1-5d/failed-0.16u. Is that typical?

I'm not sure how to test other than taking to work with me. Is this a defective unit or a bad setting? I read one response to another thread saying a new sim card could solve things with disconnect issues.
Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 7
bkenobi
Aspirant

I have looked in the GUI and dont see where it says disconnected, so I'm assuming I must not have that issue. I performed a factory reset and have run speed tests every hour for the last day or so. I seem to be getting around 15d/4u which is probably about right for my signal strength. I found a setting for wifi timeout that defaults to 15min and disabled it. Not sure what else to try, but it seems to be working g ok in this config right now.

Still hoping for feedback from experts.
Message 2 of 7
bkenobi
Aspirant

After a lot of testing, I believe the speed issue is primarily related to signal strength. When I move the hot spot to the second floor in a window facing the closest tower (of which I only have between 1 and 3 in range), I get between 1 and 3 bars. I highly suspect that the basement results in much less and would cause dropped signal.

I will open a new topic if I dont see a response, but can anyone confirm that external antennas improve signal strength? I was considering installing a high gain antenna in the attic and wiring it down to the installation location for the hotspot. The only other option I've seen is the micro cell boxes. Unfortunately, AT&T doesn't support them any longer and recommends using your network to boost cell via wifi.

Any thoughts?
Message 3 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bkenobi

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Please check the signal quality using the Diagnostics screen found under Settings > Nighthawk M1 Status > Diagnostics section using values below as reference: 

RSRP – The average power received from a single Reference signal, and Its typical range is around -44dbm (good) to -140dbm(bad). 

RSRQ – Indicates quality of the received signal, and its range is typically -19.5dB(bad) to -3dB (good).

If signal quality is bad then I suggest moving the device to a location with clear view of the sky or consider purchasing/using external antenna. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 4 of 7
bkenobi
Aspirant

RSRP: -113
RSRQ: -17

So it appears the signal is on the bad side. I have the MR1100 as high in the home as possible and in a window facing the direction of the tower. I think an antenna is the best option but I'm not sure if there are better options than others. I know netgear sells an option, but I've read it isn't very high gain.
Message 5 of 7
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

I assume you live in a rural area and other broad band options are not a possibility?

You'll need a wideband, directional, high gain antenna mounted pointed at the tower.  You could try placing it in your attic, but it would be better outside mounted on a pole.  You'll want the MR1100 as close as possible to it.  But the MR1100 needs to be in a cooler (out of direct sunlight), dry place as well.  Remove the battery and buy a high quality EC2/3 charger and cable -- like one from Anker. 

The external antenna won't support MIMO, and the MR1100 tends to bound around from band to band and tower to tower.  So sometimes power cycling and/or re-alignemnt are necessary.

There are a number of posts on this topic here on the forum.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 6 of 7
bkenobi
Aspirant

This is good info.  I have a pair of Wilson yagi antennas that I was hoping to use to give me MIMO.  I connected 1 and aimed by hand to get about the same performance as with the built-in antennas suggesting that when moved to final location I should be good.  I then mounted the antenna to a PVC pole and can't repeat the performance.  Connecting the second antenna I also see no benefit.  I'm not sure if the issue is power or my antenna setup.

This is new to me so I'm working with too many variables right now.  I can get a new power supply since it seems that the M1 will reboot without the battery (suggesting insufficient power).  I already tried shorter cables (6' RG6).  I appreciate the input and will try to implement as suggested.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7