× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR1100 still shuts down when battery removed and on AC power using 2.4A charger

usnleonard
Aspirant

MR1100 still shuts down when battery removed and on AC power using 2.4A charger

I am using the Nighthawk MR1100 router on AT&T from OTR Mobile.  Firmware is 12.05.05.14, and when checking for updates the system advises that this is the latest for my device.

After having some rebooting issues when removing the battery and running it on AC power only, I read (and was even instructed by OTR mobile) that when you're using this mobile router as an "always-on" device and connected to your home router, you should remove the battery to keep it from overheating and rebooting.  The supplied charger doesn't appear to supply enough power to keep this device powered on AC only, so I followed the advice of another user on this forum and purchased a 3rd party Quick Charge 3.0 (backwards-compatible to 2.0) charger from Anker.  When it arrived, it only included the brick and not a new cable, so I'm using the Netgear-supplied cable that came with the router.  

Now the modem powers up and stays on, but every hour or so I notice the internet dropped, and the router has shut down and requires a manual reboot.  Last night, it did it again but before I reset it I noticed that the LED light on the top of the router was flashing a very faint red (had to have the lights off in the house to even see it) and the green LED on the Anker charger was pulsing at the same interval that the red LED on the MR1100 was blinking.  Could this be an issue with the charger or the cable?  Anker makes a pretty robust charger, so I wouldn't normally suspect them.

If anyone else is using a 3rd party charger to power their MR1100 without the battery, and using it for an "always-on" connection, could you please share what charger you're using and did you replace the cable as well?  This is what I purchased: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077HFFLMS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 5
wDoug58
Aspirant

Re: MR1100 still shuts down when battery removed and on AC power using 2.4A charger

I use the same Anker power adapter you linked and it has given me the issue you mention once. When the LED blinked red on me and I lost connection I pushed the power button on the hotspot and the display stated an update was occurring to the hotspot. Otherwise, the power adapter without battery installed has worked fine.

Message 2 of 5
usnleonard
Aspirant

Re: MR1100 still shuts down when battery removed and on AC power using 2.4A charger

Thanks for your response.  What firmware version are you currently running?  Mine says it's on the latest version, but I know someone else who has this router and they are on a later version.

I'm tempted to contact OTR Mobile had have them send me a new unit.  Their troubleshooting instructions were to reset to factory settings and then set it up once again.  I did that, and it was fine most of the day until tonight when it powered down and is again faintly flashing the red LED.  The only way to power it back up is to unplug, and plug it back in.  Pressing the button does nothing.  

Message 3 of 5
wDoug58
Aspirant

Firmware version NTG9X50C_12.05.05.14

You might want to check OTR's Facebook page. Sounds like they are going to be losing thousands of customers. They are getting dropped from AT&T. Switching to T Mobile, raising prices. Claim they sent 40,000 emails out, no one on the Facebook page ever received and email.

Message 4 of 5
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@usnleonard wrote:

Thanks for your response.  What firmware version are you currently running?  Mine says it's on the latest version, but I know someone else who has this router and they are on a later version.

I'm tempted to contact OTR Mobile had have them send me a new unit.  Their troubleshooting instructions were to reset to factory settings and then set it up once again.  I did that, and it was fine most of the day until tonight when it powered down and is again faintly flashing the red LED.  The only way to power it back up is to unplug, and plug it back in.  Pressing the button does nothing.  

Please try other QC chargers. 

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7