× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR5200-100EUS - no 5G on UK Three Network

randomscot
Aspirant

MR5200-100EUS - no 5G on UK Three Network

I've raised a support case on this, but hopefully someone here might be able to help. Recently upgraded from M1 to MR5200 for 5G. I have an unlimited Data SIM for the UK Three network that I know is 5G enabled. However, I can't seem to get the device to switch to 5G in an area I know with good coverage (central London, UK), only shows H or 4G.

Diagnostics 

* Running latest firmware

* iPhone 14 Pro Max has 5 bars 5G in same location (and speedtest shows service 500Mbps +) -> Good coverage

* SIM tried in another device (iPhone) -> SIM is 5G capable

* Tried a different carrier SIM (Vodafone) in MR5200 - works -> Device is working

* Confirmed APN settings are correct

* Saw on a different thread about checking bands using telnet, I did this and it looked like the 5G bands for three were in the mask (though in fairness I don't quite understand what the different columns in the output mean !)

Things I've tried

* Switching to LTE + 5G band only (as well as the other band selection options)

* Different locations (strangely I did get 5G come up at a different location but about 1Mbps data speed!)

* Tethered vs WiFI (just in case !)

* Lots of reboots

With the above, I'd normally conclude that there was some compatibility issue (not even sure if the network can disallow 5G on particular equipment). My M1 was rock solid out of the box, bit of disbelief the MR5200 at a very high price point (and some time after release) has an issue.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts..

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: MR5200-100EUS - no 5G on UK Three Network

If the device works with other carrier's SIM, most likely, UK Three is blocking the service.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Please capture a model.json file and send PM to me.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Thanks

Message 2 of 9
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

I checked the model.json file you provided. Looks like the device is working normally. But it can only get on 3G network, even not on LTE network.

Could you please advise how did you get the 5G SIM card? Does it come with another 5G capable device, such as phone? It is common for the carrier to restrict the service to certain devices only. Just want to rule out this is not due to data plan restricted by the carrier.

Thanks

John

Message 3 of 9
randomscot
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response. The card was supplied as a generic 5G data SIM and I have confirmed it works in Apple and Google mobile devices and provides good 5G coverage (including in the location I was at when I created the JSON and the device was online).

Per my original post, I did note that at one location I could receive a 5G signal (albeit not at a decent data rate). I also note that the Three network haven't offered any mobile internet devices yet (which is unusual as they are pioneers in the UK on mobile wifi). I am wondering if they are disabling a class of devices (not sure if that's possible ?).

Given you have checked the settings I will do a little more investigation on locations in London so see if there's any 5G coverage. I'm wondering if it is even certain base stations (hardware) that aren't allowing it.

Thanks again !

Message 4 of 9
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Carriers can limit the service to devices based on the TAC - the first 8 digits of IMEI or the other unique ids sent to the network from the device.

Based on the information you provided, it seems that the network blocks the service to M5 for LTE and 5G. Please let me know if you have more findings.

Thanks

John

Message 5 of 9
randomscot
Aspirant

Thanks, I will do more digging and let you know. It will be a few days as the M5 is currently being used (with a different carrier) to provide service temporarily in an office before I grab it back for my commute (and switch back to Three).

CraigS

Message 6 of 9
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

If the device works with other carrier's SIM, most likely, UK Three is blocking the service.

Thanks

Message 7 of 9
randomscot
Aspirant

Final update on this. Spent 1hr+ with Three today. They tried to sell me a fixed 5G Hub for Home Broadband ! I declined, and then after some discussion they claimed that bands for mobile 5G differ between iPhone and other devices. I decided to give up in frustration and terminated my contract. Bit extreme, but their customer service has been lousy recently (another issue with Apple Watch and text messages) and it seems that there is a real barrier speaking to someone technically competent.

In summary, 5G on the Three network seems to be blocked on this known 5G working device in a known good signal area (confirmed by iPhone 14 Pro Max). I also note that Three do not offer a 5G MiFi device apart from the mains powered 5G Hub.

I will keep the MR5200 as I have purchased a 5G data plan on Vodafone. I'll also give Three a go at some point in a month or so as I have other Three 5G enabled Data SIMs.

Thanks to John for the support !

Message 8 of 9
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for the update. It is frustrating to deal with carriers on the device supports since the support persons don't know the tech details on the network side. 

In my recent trip to UK, I bought a Vodafone SIM and confirmed i could get on 5G on our mobile hotspot.

Please let me know if you have any other issues (Hope not 🙂 ).

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7