× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Mobile 4G LTE router recommendations for automotive use

jigga009
Follower

Mobile 4G LTE router recommendations for automotive use

Hello, I'm new here, and hoping to tap into the collective knowledge to figure out the right device for myself.

I'm in the market for a 4G LTE wifi hotspot/router that would be installed in my SUV, mainly to serve as an uplink for my dash cameras to the cloud, and also to serve as a wifi hotspot for passengers in the truck as well.

I plan on hotwiring the device into my car, and hiding the router behind some trim that would make it inaccessible without dismantling the car. 

I've taken a look at the Netgear Unite Explore as well as the Nighthawk MR1100 LTE 4G wifi router, but I need a device that posesses certain characteristics in order for it to work as I need it to work. I woud be open to any device that is reliable, performs, and does the following:

1) The device must be able to continue working when the car is turned OFF for a period of around 20 hours minimum in order for my dash cams to upload notifications as needed while they have auxillary power. This means that the device must possess its own battery.

2) If the battery power of the device is runs due to the truck not being used for a couple of days, I would need the device to power up again once the car is started up, and power starts flowing to the hotspot/router device without me doing anything. This means that I should not need to hit a power button to get it going again when the car is started up. It should power up automatically once it starts receiving power from the car.

3) Since the device is going to be hidden away behind trim, I would need it to work reliably and not require constant resetting due to freezing, etc. 

Can anyone let me know if devices such as the MR1100 Nighthawk, or other devices fit the bill, and let me know what your experience has been with them.

Thanks very much for your time and assistance 🙂 

Message 1 of 2
Rodinaustin
Aspirant

Re: Mobile 4G LTE router recommendations for automotive use

Did you happen to find your answer to #2 Yet?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7