× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Model: AirCard 797S restarts/reboots for no apparent reason

DeeJa
Aspirant

Model: AirCard 797S restarts/reboots for no apparent reason

I have been using this device for about a year.  About two weeks ago, the device began restarting/rebooting on its own.  Of course I have to reconnect.  I cannot see a pattern.  Sometimes I have to reconnect constantly over and over, sometimes it stays on long enough to be useable.  I want to make sure that the AT & T tech told me correctly that there is nothing on their end (as in the cell tower or office equipment) that can cause the device to act this way.  I have checked for device update and I performed a factory restart.  I hope someone knows of something I can try.  I have tried different plugins and that does not seem to be the problem.  Thanks!

Wireless number: 

MAC Address: 10-0C-6B-7E-0C-0F

ICCID: 89014103272300159494

Wi-Fi Details

MAC Address: 10-0C-6B-7E-0C-0F
IP Address: 10.220.15.137

Wi-Fi Devices: 4
Max Wi-Fi Devices: 15
Max Guest Wi-Fi Devices: 0

Firmware

FW Version: NTG9X40C_30.00.08.06

Device

Model: AirCard 797S
Wi-Fi Manager: http://attwifimanager
FW Version: NTG9X40C_30.00.08.06

PRI Version: 23113938,

Model: AC797S|AT&T Unite Express 2 Mobile Hotspot
Message 1 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Model: AirCard 797S restarts/reboots for no apparent reason

Hi Team,

i have the same problem.
This device keeps restarting anytime, which is quite a big problem for me, since i work homeoffice.

I cannot really upgrade the device, because i always get an error:
--------------------------------------

Software Update

Check for new software online:
Update Error

There was a problem updating your device. Please try again later.

There was a problem updating your device. Please try again later.
--------------------------------------
FW Version NTG9X40C_30.00.10.11
FW Build Date 2019/07/04

Considering the price level of this device i have to admit, that i had higher expectations than is the experience.
I would hope that SW upgrade would resolve the device crashes, but i am stuck at the upgrade error.
Was there any SW release since 07/2019 for this model? If yes, how can i upgrade by box without getting the error?

Thank you in advance and,
BR,

Model: AC797|Mobiler AirCard Hotspot 797
Message 2 of 3
DeeJa
Aspirant

Re: Model: AirCard 797S restarts/reboots for no apparent reason

UPDATE:  

This past week I happened to be on a  website still trying to find a solution.  A customer service person contacted me by a popup messenger, which was a surprise. This is the webpage:   https://www.routertechnicalsupport.com/how-to-fix-netgear-router-from-disconnecting              

The RouterTechnical Support customer service rep put me in touch with a tech support person.  After reviewing records on my network via remote connection, he found I had a Trojan virus that had infected the network, but the internet was still okay. There was no charge for this service.  He was unable to remove the virus, but offered to put me in contact with a representative from Cisco who could help, but for a price. I decided to try it even though I was a little uneasy after getting all this help without first messaging or emailing.  The Cisco tech removed the virus.  I was able to watch both techs as they checked out the laptop.  The Cisco tech said that it appears my hotspot may now have a problem possibly due to the infection, IF  I understood correctly.  At first, I had instances where the hotspot would still go into this restart cycle, but the last couple of days, the connection has been much more dependable. My device is a little over a year old, so no warranty protection. I found a place that sells this model online and ordered another one after the AT & T person said that I can do that and just install the SIM card over into the new model. I hope he told me correctly.   

I confess that I had not changed the hotspot password as prompted when going through factory reset.  I now do that.  My recommendation would be to check into the possibility that you have a Trojan or some other virus affecting Network. I did not know such a thing existed, or I would have changed the password as it highly recommends doing. I don't know how I got the virus.  In the year I have had the device, I occasionally get messages to my hotspot number, but I would never click a link in them. I hope someone will comment here about how the Trojan gets into the system.  Was it embedded in a link from somewhere like Facebook, in an email, etc.  How does a Trojan that can mess up the hotspot get into the laptop?  If you do have a Trojan or virus, you will have to decide how best to tackle the problem.  I paid the Cisco tech for help and my hotspot still seemed to be "iffy"--but the Trojan was removed as far as I can see.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7