× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: NIghthawk M1 no option to choose file for firmware

GracieAllen
Tutor

NIghthawk M1 no option to choose file for firmware

I have a NIghthawk M1.  Any time it gets charged it complains about overheating.  Doesn't matter if the charger is 500ma ot 2000, it complains.  Found a topic in here that recommended updating to the latest firmware.  It currently has 12.05.05.12

I found 12.06.11.0_00 at Netgear and attempted to update.

Logged in, went to admin, went to firmware update.  It SAYS the firmware is current and there is NO OPTION to "choose file" so I can do the update.

HOW, presuming this device actually HAS a firmware update available, do I make the software let me install it?

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 6
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @GracieAllen

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

May we please know the device SKU (MR1100-xxxxxx)? 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 6
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Based on the FW version on your device, it is an AT&T MR1100. The local FW update is not available for AT&T SKU'ed devices as required by AT&T.

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
GracieAllen
Tutor

So basically this thing is going to overheat, or at least constantly complain about overheating 'til it dies? 

Message 4 of 6
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

The issue will be addressed in the next maintenance release from AT&T. Sorry for the inconvenience.

But you can't upgrade the FW to other release by yourself. It may break your device since AT&T device's configurations are different from other SKUs.

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
GracieAllen
Tutor

Unfortunately, this device was purchased from OTR Mobile 3 months ago.  At THAT time they were using AT&T.  They've now been ejected from AT&T and all their customers (who remain) are being forced to move to T-Mobile.  Which means trying to get the devices unlocked and Sims for T-Mobile, and gettign set up there.

So I have no idea what'll happen with getting firmware or anything else.  And, of course, AT&T refuses to provide any support or help with the devices...

At the moment I've given up worrying about whether the Nighthawk is overheating or not - I just leave it plugged in all the time, it stays charged, and hopefully it's smart enough not to overheat constantly. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7