× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Need a suggestion for better Wifi router

HungryByteman
Follower

Need a suggestion for better Wifi router

Yesterday, I upgraded my Spectrum service from 30 Mbps to 100 Mbps download (and from 5 to 10 on the upload side). When I did a speedtest, running a cable from the Modem's router to my laptop, I am getting 117.09 and 12.10 Mbps, down and up, and when I run a cable from the Belkin wifi router (purchased two years ago but sitting in a box until yesterday) to my laptop, I got 91.4 and 11.8 Mbps.

HOWEVER, when I did the same test over Wifi, I got 25.4 and 9.5. That's an atrocious 27.8% of the 91.4 figure. As noted above, the Belkin is two years old, but yesterday was it's first installation. The person at Belkin's telephone support said it is normal for Wifi to only reach a fraction of what the cable gets, but that is NOT true of my previous Wifi. When I had 30 Mbps service with TWC/Spectrum, my Zoom Modem-Router gave me approximately that 30 Mbps download figure over Wifi.

I'm going to go to Walmart to look at the wifi routers again, and I remember they had several Netgears, so my question.:

For someone who MAINLY does a lot of surfing, but who has Netflix and Amazon Prime on his DVR, what Wifi Router would give me 75-100 Mbps Wifi when hooked up to a 100 Mbps system? And at a reasonable cost?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Re: Need a suggestion for better Wifi router

Does your Spectrum cable modem have a buit in router?  Aka NAT and DHCP?  If so, what you want to add are Access Points -- Not routers.

1) remove all equipment except your Spectrum cable modem/router.  If your router needs more Ethernet ports buy a small gigabit switch like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Lifetime-Protection/dp/B00MPVR50A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

2) disable the wifi radios on your cable modem -- if it has any

3) buy two these and place them at opposite ends of your house (one near your cable modem).  Connect them to the Spectrum router via Ethernet, or MOCA, or even EthernetNet over poweline

TP-Link EAP225 Wireless Access Point

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-EAP225-V3-Wireless-Supports/dp/B0781YXFBT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535...

4) Use different SSID's for 5GHz and 2.4GHz.  Put both AP's on different channels for each band (aka 1 & 6, 1 & 11, or 6 & 11) for 2.4GHz.  Use 36 & 149 (or similar) for 5.8GHz.  Be sure to use 20Mhz channels for 2.4 and 80MHz (or 40Mhz -- NOT 160) for 5.8.

5) Make sure 802.11ac is turned on for 5.8 and 802.11n for 2.4

6) Connect as many of your devices as possible to 5.8Ghz -- not 2.4.

7) try to limit video streaming and file transfers to hardwire.  Use MOCA if Ethernet is not practical

Modern 5.8Ghz Wifi with a string signal can easily support 100's of Mbit/s depending on the bandwidth (20Mhz vs 40Mhz vs 80 MHz) and the number of MIMO streams (aka 1x1, 2x2, etc.).  

Use a tool like Inssider to scan for channel activity/usage by your neighbors.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7