× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Need help connecting M1 to laptop via ethernet

Vidcerts
Aspirant

Need help connecting M1 to laptop via ethernet

Need help.. I can't figure out how to connect my netgear nighthawk m1 to my laptop via Ethernet cable.. I have a cat7 new cable and hp laptop with windows 10 and yes it has a ethernet slot lol.. Plug it in both ends and nothing happens it stays on the hotspots Wi-Fi 5ghz channel I have on it connecting the laptop to.. Any ideas
Message 1 of 7
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Re: Need help connecting M1 to laptop via ethernet

Hi, Please set TCP/IP interface metric value 1(first priority) for ethernet connection and lower priority for wifi connection, value 5 for example. Auto-settings may not work always as desired.

Message 2 of 7
Vidcerts
Aspirant

I don't understand.. Can you explain in alot simpler terms lol.. Like as if you were talking to a non computer tech person such as myself lol
Message 3 of 7
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Message 4 of 7
Vidcerts
Aspirant

Is there a certain way to turn it on for Ethernet... Like I thought I read somewhere that you connect Ethernet into laptop first then into the turned off netgear nighthhawk m1 THEN turn the netgear m1 on in order to use ethernet
Message 5 of 7
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Well, after connection prioruty setup ,some testing is required. You could first shutdown your devices and then power on. Ethernet should be first priority connection after reboot, good luck.

Message 6 of 7
Vidcerts
Aspirant

Still nothing.. Any other ideas..im seeing it but one time I got in Ethernet can not find a valid IP.. And I'm seeing unidentified network with no network access when I right click on it and hit status
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7