× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Need port forwarding help on 6100D

richardx73
Aspirant

Need port forwarding help on 6100D

I have a 6100D gateway with a public IP address (Sprint).  I've successfully set port forwarding for four ports on one internal IP address (192.168.1.20).

I've tried to forward two additional ports on a SECOND internal IP address (192.168.1.28).  I'm permitted to add the IP address and ports, but in a short time, the IP address is CHANGED by the router to the first IP address.   I don't know why the second IP address is not retained.  The port is retained.

I'm using DHCP with a DHCP pool of 10-50.  I'm using internal IP addresses of 20 and 28.  I set the IP address in the reservation area with their respective MAC address. 

What am I doing wrong?  Can someone help?

BTW, same results with Edge and IE browsers.

Model: LG6100D|LG6100D LTE Gateway (Sprint)
Message 1 of 5
Timewing
Aspirant

Re: Need port forwarding help on 6100D

did you figure this out? I have the exact same problem...

Message 2 of 5
richardx73
Aspirant

I have not figured it out, BUT I have found a work-around that achieves my objective.

First of all, the Netgear support was no help at all.  Three calls and three stupid answers:  try a different browser, try Chrome browser, try a different computer (!), reset the box.  I never talked to anyone who knew anything!  Always sandbagged by someone reading from a script.

My 6100D eventually took a second IP address after reseting the box.  I needed three, but never got that.  My workaround was to swap my 2-port serial port server for a 4-port model, thus eliminating my need for the third IP address.  In my case that works to my satisfaction (asidde from the expense of the new server).

I firmly believe there is a SW bug in the 6100D, but no one was willing to listen.

BTW:  I started with Sprint support (my carrier), but that was a bigger joke.

Maybe Chrome will help you.  Try a box reset.  Sneak up on it and it might work for you.  Sorry.

Message 3 of 5
randomjak
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  Netgear and Sprint tech help was very tech-less and no help- like you said, scripted responses.  They say my unit should be replaced, but, like you, I think it is a software issue since several people have reported this problem.  I did a settings reset, but it did nothing.  I will try a facory reset next, and hopefully I can get a second IP to hold.  Thanks

Message 4 of 5
Timewing
Aspirant

Re: Need port forwarding help on 6100D- Fixed!

finally found a smart person online that found the Netgear GUI:  http://[your IP address for your 6100d]/adv_index.asp.  This is the GUI you need to use for port forwarding- and many other functions the Sprint GUI doesn't have or doesn't work...   After one replacement RMA with the same lame result, countless faux "techs" ridiculous non support (Netgear and Sprint), this actually works.  I put in my second IP address for port forwarding and it took without a hitch.  Here is the smart guy's full article link: http://s.co.tt/2014/08/26/netgear-lg-6100d-sprint-lte-gateway-advanced-configuration/

cheers!

-Tim

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7