× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear Aircard 790S & Smart Cradle Docking Issue

djnmv
Aspirant

Netgear Aircard 790S & Smart Cradle Docking Issue

Hi,

I have a Netgear Aircard AC790S which is working fine and I can connect to the wireless SSID being transmitted from this device successfully and browse the internet on my devices OK.

I also have a Netgear Aircard Smart Cradle. When I dock the AC790S device into the cradle it comes up on the device saying something to the effect that it has been docked and Wi-Fi is switched off and to connect to the cradles Wi-Fi instead.

So I connect to the Wi-Fi SSID being transmitted from the cradle but the internet will not load. It does not matter which SSID I connect to (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz), or even if I connect via an ethernet cradle, the internet will just not work at all.

I can access the cradles settings/admin page and on the dashboard it says that the internet is connected via 4G etc. If I also then look at the docked AC790S settings page it seems to be all OK and connected to the internet as well.

If I look at the "Connected Devices" page in the cradle settings, it shows my devices are connected and have IP addresses, so that shouldn't be an issue (I've read that other people have issues whereby they are not receiving IP addresses successfully and require a reboot of the router).

I have tried to look for a firmware update to the cradle, but the Netgear website says there is none available. The automatic firmware update is also failing, I assume because it is unable to access the internet.

I'm at a loss as to why the cradle seems to be stopping the internet from working when the AC790S device seems to be working fine otherwise?

I would really like to use the cradle for extended Wi-Fi coverage within our house, as well as connecting up ethernet devices to the internet/home network. Any help you could provide would be much appreciated!

Thankyou

Model: AirCard 790S (Telstra)|AC790S Telstra Wi-Fi 4G Advanced II
Message 1 of 19
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Netgear Aircard 790S & Smart Cradle Docking Issue

Hi djnmv, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Have you tried doing a factory reset (the button on the back of the cradle) on the cradle? Press and hold the reset button for at least 10 - 15 seconds.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 19
djnmv
Aspirant

Thanks Bianca!

No I haven’t tried a factory reset yet. I was worried there might be settings lost that would need to be changed again. Or should it just work normally on factory settings?
Message 3 of 19
djnmv
Aspirant

I have now tried doing a factory reset of the Smart Cradle both by holding the reset button and also through the web interface. Neither resets have made any difference though unfortunately.

Is there anything else I can try?

Message 4 of 19
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi djnmv, 

Please provide the firmware version of the  Aircard 790S & Smart Cradle. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 5 of 19
djnmv
Aspirant

Hi Bianca, here are the details.

Aircard 790S Details

--------------------------

Firmware Version: NTG9X35C_11.11.05.00
Firmware Build Date: 2015/10/24
Web App Version: AC790S-2_03.03.102.18
Bootloader Version: NTG9X35C_11.11.05.00
Hardware Version: 1.0
TRU-Install: PHS_TELSTRA_B4059

Smart Cradle Details

--------------------------
Hardware Version: DC112A V1.0
Firmware Version: V1.0.0.24_1.0.60
GUI Language Version: V1.0.0.24_2.1.38.1

Regards,

Derek

Message 6 of 19
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi djnmv, 

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 7 of 19
nagemmaher
Guide

I have same issue
Message 8 of 19
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi nagemmaher,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

What have you done so far to resolve the issue? May we please know the model number of your devices? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 9 of 19
nagemmaher
Guide

The cradle doesn't obtain ip address
Netgear ac790s with smart cradle dc 112 a
Message 10 of 19
nagemmaher
Guide

Up
Message 11 of 19
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @nagemmaher

Please check your inbox. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 12 of 19
nagemmaher
Guide

Thanx for responding the issue from the router usb port
Message 13 of 19
jamesreynolds
Aspirant

I'm having this exact issue. The cradle says there is internet but it won't work via cable or wifi, but if i connect to the hotspot directly then it works. Any suggestions?  I'll be down at that office later this week so I'll explore additional info and report back (if I remember)

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 14 of 19
jamesreynolds
Aspirant

turned out to be a an IP conflict, so just network config error. Nothing wrong with the cradle in the end.

Message 15 of 19
Gimmie
Aspirant

I have the same exact problem and it’s not clear to me how to solve it. If it’s because of IP conflict! How can I overcome this issue? Please support.
Message 16 of 19
jamesreynolds
Aspirant

If it is an IP conflict then you'll have another device in the network which is supplying IP addressess too (acting as a DHCP server).  For me, we had a network switch acting as DHCP which was not something I had encountered before.  Just try unplugging all the network devices from the back of the cradle (ethernet cables) then connect directly by wifi to see if it works again.  You may want to consider doing other suggestions here too (factory reset on it / check firmware) if you keep having difficulties.  If you only have a PC (no wifi) then only connect the PC directly to the cradle  (nothing in between) to test if it works that way,  hope this helps

Message 17 of 19
Gimmie
Aspirant

Thank you for your response, and sorry for delay!

actually there is no connected devices to the smart cradle, and what is really weird to me when i try to dock my Aircard 790s to the cradle it only charge my Aircard 790s!, BUT when i connect it using the usb port it works with no issues woth passing the internet through it.

now i am losing a usb port which i may use for external storage as media center.

if the Aircard 790s working fine with usb and pass the internet on IP 192.168.1.4 which is the default, is it a problem of the port itself i need to configure on the cradle or what?!!!

Message 18 of 19
jamesreynolds
Aspirant

The cradle shouldn't need any setup, I just factory reset it and it works straight away. It does take a while to start up though.

Does the internet symbol light up when you plug the aircard into the cradle? (3rd in from right) Do the wifi symbols light up? (on the far right)

Don't forget that you need to connect to a different wifi when it's in the cradle - see the bottom of the cradle to get the info.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7