× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Netgear M1 Connecting Two Computers by Ethernet

netsolutions
Aspirant

Netgear M1 Connecting Two Computers by Ethernet

I would like to situate a Nighthawk M1 in an outbuilidng (powered via the AC adaptor) and connect by ethernet to two Linux computers within an office 20 metres away.

Is it possible to do this by running a single ethernet cable to the office and then installing an ethernet switch to provide a separate connection to each computer?

If so, is there a recommended type or brand of switch? Are there any performance trade-offs? Can the Wi-Fi transmision of the modem be fully disabled to conserve power?

Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1
Message 1 of 7
duckware
Prodigy

[The following is based upon the M1 manual and product page]

It appears that the ethernet jack on the rear of the M1 is intended as only "data offload".  For example, you take the M1 on a trip, and plug into hotel wired Internet, but then still use the M1 as your wireless access (to hotel wired internet).

You can't add wireless to the PC's and connect to the M1?  There are very inexpensive wireless adapters via USB.

If you really need PC's wired, the other (more expensive) option is to get a netgear router that supports bridge mode.  Then, the PC's connect to the switch on the back of the bridge, and the wireless connects to the M1.

Data usage from the PC's might also be a concern (security updates can sometimes be large)?

Message 2 of 7
duckware
Prodigy

I found a YouTube video where someone claims they do connect their LAN / PCs via the M1 ethernet port   So, now I don't know...

Message 3 of 7
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

The default operation of the Nighthawk M1 Ethernet port is a LAN port. 

Off loading is a special feature which re-purposes the Ethernet as a WAN port (i.e. travel router which switches between Ethernet WAN and LTE).

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 4 of 7
netsolutions
Aspirant

So then, if I understand correctly. I can 1) operate the M1 modem continuously from its AC adaptor, 2) run an ethernet cable to another room, 3) install a standard ethernet switch so two computers can access the internet at the same time, and 4) disable the modem's Wi-Fi transmission.

Can someone please confirm? Thank you.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 5 of 7
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

Should work fine.  The only limitation you will see with the switch is the 20 device limit.  

Message 6 of 7
Hyppolyte
Guide

If you have the latest Telstra firmware NTG9X50C_12.06.02.00, you can disable Ethernet Standby (default) at Settings|Setup|Mobile Router Setup. This will provide an always on Ethernet connection which you can then connect to your switch.

From the June 2018 Telstra specific manual: MR1100_UM_EN.pdf

"If you use the mobile router as a fixed mobile router, we recommend that you remove the battery and use a quick charge power adapter. The mobile router supports Quick Charge 2.0 technology."

The universal manual linked by the dashboard help does not have this information. Get there instead by Settings|Help & Support|Device Support then look for documentation.

My setup is working well since the October firmware update. It involves:

• MR1100 connected to external antenna
  • Blitzwolf BW-S9 QC3.0 charger (backwards compatible to QC2.0)
  • Ethernet out to Dovado Router Internet in Port. Any recent router would do.
  • Internet from Dovado by Ethernet and WiFi to houselhold.
  • I leave WiFi available on the MR1100 for troubleshooting. Also connect to it during blackouts with battery in place.

The Ethernet switch you propose should be fine.

The longest I have run this without reboot is about 20 days continuous. Performance was enhanced by the QC charger. I could only source the Blitzwolf but I believed Anker make good ones too.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7