Re: Netgear M1 reboot issue Resolved!

winger13
Tutor

Hey, if you get a moment, please take a picture of your setup - that is ingenious of you (the heat sink idea).  I'd love to see how it looks in practice !

@UK-basedwrote:

@winger13: ... I removed the battery cover and raised the M1 a few centimeters off the surface to allow air flow around the battery compartment. I also carefully placed an old CPU heat sink on top of the M1 with some cling film between to avoid damage to the LCD screen. This approach dropped the M1's temperature range by 5degC (31degC - 36degC). ...

Message 26 of 32
UK-based
Luminary

@winger13: Here it is, with an Intel CPU heatsink on top. I didn't bother connecting the fan because the temperature is fine without it, so there's no added noise. I used the clamp from the heatsink underneath the M1 to raise it - fits a treat!

You can also see the short pigtail adapters to convert the TS-9 external antenna connectors to the SMA connectors from my Poynting antenna. I used pigtails rather than a solid adapter like this because I felt that the M1's TS-9 connectors would be put under more stress by the latter. Other connections are Ethernet (to unmanaged switch and 2 access points) and high-quality, braided USB-C cable to upgraded mains charger.

Intel CPU  heatsink on Nighthawk M1Intel CPU heatsink on Nighthawk M1

Message 27 of 32
winger13
Tutor

@UK-based
Th add looks like a sweet setup! Thanks for sharing the setup
Message 28 of 32
aawada
Aspirant

Hello, i am having the exact same issue, random rebooting on heavy usage. Could someone share a link from where to buy a Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 as they say using it solved this issue.

Thanls
Message 29 of 32
winger13
Tutor

Are you talking about heavy usage with the battery installed or with no battery installed?  The Quick Charge 3.0 (and 2.0) solution works for when the battery is not installed and router powered only by the included wall charger

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 30 of 32
aawada
Aspirant

Heavy usage is causing rebooting both with and without battery included.
Message 31 of 32
winger13
Tutor

If the router reboots with just the battery in, I  believe you have a different issue than the others have reported where the solution is to utilize a Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0 certified charger.

Without the battery, can you narrow down whether heavy downloads causes reboots only when the router is on specific band(s) - see the diagnostic screen for this info.   For example, in my case band 30 and I believe band 2 (tryng to remember from memory) always reboots when the device is processing heavy internet activity.

Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E