× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Netgear M5 EU - user experiences

TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Netgear M5 EU - user experiences

Hi,

I have been fieldtesting this device for few days now. Does anyone else have user experiences of this device by now?

Message 1 of 26
Rockbit69
Aspirant

Currently testing M5 MR5100 MES here in Kuwait, locked to Zain operator. Fresh firmware NTGX55_10.12.13.00 updated today. So far looking impressive, up to 500 Mbps down and 15 up on sub6 GHz frequencies, 9 msec latency, no mm wave yet. Tends to get a bit warm when connected to 5G but connection is stable, no reboots. Battery from 6 to 8 hours of non-intensive use. In 4G getting similar speed as M1 and M2, battery up to 2 days (!)There is no information available on this model, however it's 5G SA & NSA and Wi-Fi 6 so I believe it's equivalent to MR5200 with some specific configuration for the Middle East. With 5G coverage expanding in Kuwait this thing will be in my bag everywhere, love it.

Message 2 of 26
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Hi,

Thanks for feedback and you are doing just fine. MR5100 and MR5200 have same hardware, MR5100 is for ISP SKU only and MR5200 is for retail.

Message 3 of 26
Rst1
Aspirant

the MR5200 will be "NSA/SA" compliant, or only "NSA"? on the technical details only "NSA" is specified.
I also need to know if it will have the n28, n77 and n78 bands, the only ones that my local 5G carrier provides.
Message 4 of 26
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

It will have both NSA and SA supported and the bands you named.

Message 5 of 26
mohdwaqas
Aspirant

@Rockbit69 wrote:

Currently testing M5 MR5100 MES here in Kuwait, locked to Zain operator. Fresh firmware NTGX55_10.12.13.00 updated today. So far looking impressive, up to 500 Mbps down and 15 up on sub6 GHz frequencies, 9 msec latency, no mm wave yet. Tends to get a bit warm when connected to 5G but connection is stable, no reboots. Battery from 6 to 8 hours of non-intensive use. In 4G getting similar speed as M1 and M2, battery up to 2 days (!)There is no information available on this model, however it's 5G SA & NSA and Wi-Fi 6 so I believe it's equivalent to MR5200 with some specific configuration for the Middle East. With 5G coverage expanding in Kuwait this thing will be in my bag everywhere, love it.

hey

i live in kuwait to

i'm using same router m5 mr5100 with zain 

i update to latest firmware NTGX55_10.28.02.00 and i'm having some issue with router
before firmware update my all devices were showing 2 bands 2.4 and 5ghz but when i updated to latest firmware my all devices doesn't show 2 bands so i have to select only 1 band
currently i'm using only 2.4ghz and i'm not geting much speed
some of my device doesn't have 5ghz
do you have any issue with router or may you know what the problem is?

Message 6 of 26
Rockbit69
Aspirant

Hi,

I also updated to the latest software, no issues with wifi bands as of today.

I suggest you to reset the router to factory settings, this usually resolves most of the issues. There is a small button under the battery cover which should be pressed with a paper clip or similar until the router resets.

Let me know if it helps....

Message 7 of 26
mohdwaqas
Aspirant

@Rockbit69 wrote:

Hi,

I also updated to the latest software, no issues with wifi bands as of today.

I suggest you to reset the router to factory settings, this usually resolves most of the issues. There is a small button under the battery cover which should be pressed with a paper clip or similar until the router resets.

Let me know if it helps....

as you said i did factory reset from under the back cover button but the problem did not resolve so i factory reset from router setting but the issue is same.
you updated to latest firmware.
if you select dual band does your moblie show 2.4 and 5ghz wifi??
because if select dual band none of my device show 5ghz only 2.4ghz
in hawally no one knows what issue is this. Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 26
Rockbit69
Aspirant

I do see both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands with the latest firmare.

Unfortunately there is not much else I can suggest you to fix it; losing the 5 GHz band is not acceptable and can only recommend you to contact the seller (Zain I guess) to ask for replacement.

Good luck and stay safe..

Message 9 of 26
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

https://aijaa.com/dNY7Tv

Here pictures from yesterday, I was fieldtesting M5 EU at Oulu, Northern Finland. DNA 5G basestation(Huawei RAN).

5G ENDC combo: B28@10MHz+B3@20MHz+B7@20MHz+B1@20MHz+n78@100MHz.

Message 10 of 26
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

https://aijaa.com/bsUQlH

Updated new test picture. M5 downlink speeds in line with cell phone speeds.

Message 11 of 26
meloserj
Aspirant

@Rockbit69 wrote:

Hi bro

I got mine and updated to this version. I was using M1 from Ooredoo without any issue.

The strange behaviour I see is the data usage guage. Its not updating properly sometimes and not accurate. I am facing around 4-5 GB difference what myzain portal is reporting and my router (and this number is growing). I contacted Zain guessing may be another sim locked to my account and using, they confirmed not such issue.

Any tests or observation you did on this data measurement?

Cheers

Message 12 of 26
abhi093
Aspirant

Do you have a technical datasheet where it says about the bands it can aggregate.?? I am not talking about the default datasheet
Message 13 of 26
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Well, some CA combo support lists do exist, but these are not public data. Do you have some specific CA combo support question in mind? Generally speaking M5 EU CA combo support is still evolving and level of CA combo support is wide. I have been using device with 5CC LTE+NR and latest firmware 12.03.09.00 PRI 03.03 Firmware build date: 2021/04/09 supports 6CC LTE+NR.

Message 14 of 26
abhi093
Aspirant

Thanks, looking for the below combos

40A+40A,
40c
3A+40A
3A+40A+40A
1A+3A+40A+40A
N3+3 , N40+40, n3+40, N40+3
Message 15 of 26
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

40A+40A,           :YES
40c                     :YES
3A+40A              :YES
3A+40A+40A      :YES
1A+3A+40A+40A: NO
N3+3                    :NO
N40+40                :NO
n3+40                   :NO
N40+3                  :NO

This is my opinion to asked CA combo support question. Please keep in mind this may not fully represent what the latest firmware could have. RAN side must be properly configured too. Always a good method to capture UE Capability message's from specified network and decode these to see what's happening between network and terminal.

Message 16 of 26
abhi093
Aspirant

Ok Thanks!!

Does Netgear M5 supports Dynamic Spectrum Sharing DSS?? It is a x55 modem , I believe it should.. buy need your opinion.
What application are you using to decode the band transmission information between RAN and UE ??
Message 17 of 26
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

I think DSS was enabled in 10.29.11.00 PRI 02.17 version Build date 2020/11/26.. QCAT tools for example can be used for log analysis,

Message 18 of 26
abhi093
Aspirant

Thanks for you reply.
In at command of MR5200 it shows the mmWave bands are all 00000000000000. Does MR5200 supports mmWave and is disabled now , which can be enabled by Netgear later by firmware updates??
Message 19 of 26
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

MR5200-100EUS, what is called as EU-model does not have Qualcomm mmWave-antenna module inside. Actually at this moment EU area commercial terminal support for mmWave is extremely rare.

Message 20 of 26
abhi093
Aspirant

There is one from Poland Play telecom. ZTE MC7010. Supports n257 and n258 of mmWave in Europe
Message 21 of 26
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Actually I have done some experiments with ZTE MC7010 (Poland model)in Finland and it did not work well. Bad problems with n78 downlink with all Finnish operators..

Message 22 of 26
abhi093
Aspirant

Oh ok. Thanks for your reply. I sent you private message
Message 23 of 26
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

SYV_5G_Varkaus_Kauppakatu.JPGSYV5G_Varkaus_demo1.jpg

Here some fieldtesting photos from last weekend. City of Varkaus, Eastern Finland, new SYV 5G/4G RAN modernized with Nokia technology. M5 takes all from downlink what is possible at the moment.

Message 24 of 26
abhi093
Aspirant

Hi,

The Photos you Posted are not Visible

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation