× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear MR1100 constant reboot

JasCola
Aspirant

Netgear MR1100 constant reboot

Like many others here I have run into the issue where my device reboots. I have seen where others say it reboots every hour or so.. Mine is rebooting every single time a device even connects to the hotspot.

I have tried:

• single band wifi only
  • ethernet only
  • with battery
  • without battery
  • stock charger
  • 3A charger
  • resetting the device

Regardless of the steps I take the device will reboot ANY time a single device is connected.

I've had this device less than 6 hours and only got aabout a solid hour of use out of it before this began and now I cannot get any use out of it at all. 

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I can do to mitigate this since I can't even connect a single device to it?

BTW.. it does work just fine with no reboots when I remove the SIM card and connect to it - I also tried a T-Mobile SIM and had decent luck, though have very limited data on it, so I wasn't trying to load it like crazy.. It's only the AT&T connection which seems to give the issue.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 39
JasCola
Aspirant

Re: Netgear MR1100 constant reboot

I have tried this again with a FreedomPop SIM card - this uses AT&T network, and ran into the same issue of contant reboots.

Message 2 of 39
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @JasCola ,

This has been reported to our US team who will be in contact with you shortly to debug.

Regards,

ArodiD

Message 3 of 39
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

Hi @JasCola

Can you confirm a few items for me?

1) Under the battery is the product label.  Do you seek MR1100-1A1NAS or MR1100-2A1NAS under the SIM icon?

2) Can you confirm the firmware version?

3) On the battery, can you share the P/N listed?

Thanks,

Tyler

Message 4 of 39
lesmond
Aspirant

I too am seeing this.

I did just update my firmware and it happens *less* frequently but it still does happen!

Any ideas?

Message 5 of 39
kreid
Aspirant

I am having the same problem.
Message 6 of 39
AliasRat
Tutor

I've run into the same issue.

It started randomly in my case on an existing unit that I've had for nearly a year.

Have tried all the same steps as per OP, but also included:

• changing WiFi transmit power/range between Low/Medium/High
  • with/without WiFi Offloading
  • disabling/enabling Cellular data

In all cases the unit still randomly reboots.

It did not happen until after I updated to the latest firmware (on the EUS version - NTG9X50C_12.06.03.00), but did not start happening immediately after the firmware update either so I can't say for sure if it's related).

Message 7 of 39
tazarian44
Tutor

Any new info? Will there be another update for the att model? I was hoping att would allow manual fw updates , but they don’t!
Message 8 of 39
kreid
Aspirant

Netgear, what is the status of this problem?
Message 9 of 39
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

Kreid,

Which model of MR1100 do you have?  Can you provide the following details?

This tread started out as the AT&T Version of the MR1100 but has changed t the Euro version.  Please help by including the information requested.  

1) Under the battery is the product label.  Do you seek MR1100-1A1NAS or MR1100-2A1NAS under the SIM icon? Or something differnt

2) Can you confirm the firmware version?

3) On the battery, can you share the P/N listed?

Thanks,

Tyler

Message 10 of 39
tazarian44
Tutor

1. MR1100-2A1NAS
2. NTG9X50C_12.05.05.00
3. 308-10034-01
Message 11 of 39
Gabillo
Aspirant

Mine does exactly the same. Each time a client tries to login it reboots. Returning it in a couple of days if I can’t find a solution for this
Message 12 of 39
talk2theis
Aspirant

Have you found a solution for this issue. Mine is doing the same thing, rebooting after a device connects. I sure wish I would have seen this problem before purchasing. Thanks for any help!
Message 13 of 39
Gabillo
Aspirant

didn't find a solution.  Had to return via Amazon 😞

Message 14 of 39
kreid
Aspirant

I believe some of the early models are hardware defective...I call support and asked for a replacement which the agreed to...new device does not have this problem.
Message 15 of 39
Gabillo
Aspirant

nice that it worked for you!  But I've seen several people on the reviews having it to change for 2,3 or more times.

Message 16 of 39
tazarian44
Tutor

They won’t replace mine ! Is yours branded ATT? How did you get them to replace it?
Message 17 of 39
Gabillo
Aspirant

mine was not branded.  I bought it through Amazon, and on the 3rd day I was returning it.

I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Nighthawk-MR1100-GSM-Unlocked/dp/B07G5KWZ3H/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=netge...

It's incredible how 2 weeks ago I bought it for @$247 and now is going for $341

Message 18 of 39
petr_kazda
Tutor

Netgear,

there is clearly an issue with your device. Multiple users are reporting problems, at my company this issue affects at least 3 devices, it started to happen after FW update.

Can you clearly communicate what is the status of the problem, how it is going to be solved and when? Or should we just take our devices and return all of them?

Message 19 of 39
tazarian44
Tutor

They won’t do a thing , contacted them by phone ! They say it’s At&T problem and won’t replace the device they manufacture! Here we are six months later with no update and more people with the same problem! The longer they take to resolve this problem the closer we get to the limited warranty to be up! I had to go buy a new one and have a 300 dollar brick in my junk drawer! Att won’t replace mine because I don’t have service through them mine is unlocked !
Message 20 of 39
petr_kazda
Tutor

I think they cannot ignore widely spread issue with their product, that is against the law and they are risking class action.

Can someone from Netgear react? You know about this issue for more than 6 months, you simply must have some solution already.

Message 21 of 39
NewZJ
Aspirant

I can't get more than 8 hours without it rebooting on me, sometimes it'll reboot multiple times an hour. I can't find a setting combination to keep it stable.
Message 22 of 39
tazarian44
Tutor

The problem is firmware , att will not update firmware because it only affects minimal units! I’ve tried with att and netgear ! Neither will help or replace unit! Also when buying one outright from bestbuy , att will not unlock unit or warranty it when defective unless you have an account with them. So buying these you might as well say there is no warranty! I’m fed up with netgear blaming att and vise versa! Their Telstra ones have no issues because they are updatable via logging into the unit!
Message 23 of 39
TL_NTGR
Apprentice

@tazarian44

I DM'ed you with additional questions.  

Tyler

Message 24 of 39
petr_kazda
Tutor

Hello everybody,

to me it seems like a voltage related issue. It tried everything - resetting to factory, keeping it cool/warm, turning on/off features etc., no luck.

Then I noticed that when the device is fully charged, the rebooting does not occur. So I let it discharge and around 70% the problem appeared again. It was working ok for like 6 hours, but ater the charge dropped it started rebooting more and more often. At 50% the modem became basically unusable.

So it is basically voltage issue. As it was not happening before FW update it seems to me like a SW issue - maybe some check is too strict on voltage. I reported it to Netgear, hopefully they will fix it soon.

Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7