× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear MR5100 Nighthawk 5G - Port Forward

danriek
Follower

Netgear MR5100 Nighthawk 5G - Port Forward

I would like to setup Port Forwarding in the router but it doesn't look like it works with 5G. I can find out what my IP is on the 5G network(ATT) (using www.whatismyipaddress.com) but when I try to connect to that IP is doesn't seem to work or at least doesn't allow the port to be forwarded. I do have a service waiting for a connection but it never gets connected to. I have also tried IP Passthrough but unable to find what IP address I should be using on my device. Can the Nighthawk be used to port forward on the 5G network or be used as IP Pass through? Will the 5G network allow incoming connections to the Nighthawk? 

Also the MR5100 reports an IP address but when I goto the website www.whatismyipaddress.com it reports a different IP address. Is ATT blocking inbound connections? Or are they proxying 5G?

Message 1 of 3
Brucemit
Aspirant

Re: Netgear MR5100 Nighthawk 5G - Port Forward

I have the exact same issue and the same questions.  I'm trying to port forward or dmz thru this ATT 5G router (made by Netgear) and cannot get it working despite all te familiar settings.  I've done this many times with Netgear routers on cable isp or on dsl connections thru bridged att dsl modems.

The WAN P reporting from admin interface of router versus actual discovered WAN IP is an anomaly I don't know what to make of.  My suspicion is that the cellurlar network is at issue.  I'm just trying to gain external access to my camera NVR, which we did easily thru our old DSL connection, which ATT is dropping service on.

I'm going to subscribe to a static IP address on this connection, see if that then allows WAN connection.

Please let me know if you get any resolution.  ATT tech support for 5G doesn't have any external WAN IP support - they say they just don't do that for this product.  Yikes.

Message 2 of 3
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Netgear MR5100 Nighthawk 5G - Port Forward

Usually wireless operators don't allow incoming connections. Some carriers provide the service with extra charge and you need to subscribe to their static IP service.

Thanks

@Brucemit wrote:

I have the exact same issue and the same questions.  I'm trying to port forward or dmz thru this ATT 5G router (made by Netgear) and cannot get it working despite all te familiar settings.  I've done this many times with Netgear routers on cable isp or on dsl connections thru bridged att dsl modems.

The WAN P reporting from admin interface of router versus actual discovered WAN IP is an anomaly I don't know what to make of.  My suspicion is that the cellurlar network is at issue.  I'm just trying to gain external access to my camera NVR, which we did easily thru our old DSL connection, which ATT is dropping service on.

I'm going to subscribe to a static IP address on this connection, see if that then allows WAN connection.

Please let me know if you get any resolution.  ATT tech support for 5G doesn't have any external WAN IP support - they say they just don't do that for this product.  Yikes.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7