× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M1 MR1100 Battery swelling up.

GB1
Follower
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk M1 MR1100 Battery swelling up.

Does any one know what netgear is doing about the Battery problem with the Nighthawk M1 wifi router. I can see where other people have had this problem on some other online discussions, but can not see what the solution is. I suspect there is a real fire hazard related to this problem. I recently found my router sitting on an unusual angle and when I checked it I found the rear cover broken and pushed off, when I checked I found the battery had swelled to almost twice its original thickness. The battery will no longer fit in the device. I have sent an online inquiry to Netgear but have not received a response. I need a new battery but am worried that it will happen again unless the problem has been solved. My next step will be to try and phone tech support to talk direct. It is a Telstra device and they tell me that they can not help with batteries. Any one know what the solution is.

Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1
Message 1 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have had the same problem -twice with different routers (same model - netgear nighthawk m1) the battery swells up and pops out - very dangerous - telstra says to return it to the shop
Message 2 of 10
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Retired_Member

How long have you been using the MR1100? Did Telstra replace the battery or whole unit? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Not too long - about 8 months before battery starts to swell - the guy at Telstra said you can use it without the battery, so that’s what I’ve been doing - they would have replaced the unit, if I gave them the router and battery, but I decided to just keep it plugged in.
Message 4 of 10

Same as the others with battery swelling. CW10718BN006302 Model Number W-10 3.8v 19.76Wh
P/N 308-10019-01

Purchased from Telstra. Unit started swelling 12 months into use. Battery removed. Unit powered by USB only. Telstra franchise stated "not their problem" even though the unit was still under warranty when first reported.
Evident that there are major issues with the batteries on these units. Suspecting there should be an active recall as there is a significant spark risk with the way the unit is distorting the connection if the case back is forced into place.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 5 of 10
AnnH
Aspirant

Hi I have the same problem with the battery swelling.

Does anyone know what options are available to have the battery replaced?  I purchased from Telstra.

Thanks for your help.

Ann

Message 6 of 10

I bought another battery through a local IT company. Theyre easily sourced apparently, but need to be replaced every 18 months to 2 years.

Message 7 of 10
Gra58
Aspirant

Some may not like this but I found a fix for the battery swelling up. It appeared that the bloating was just a build up of gas. So I put a small hole just through the plastic case (carefully) and the batter went back to a size that it now fits in the unit with the cover on and still works fine.

Message 8 of 10
NickatNite
Aspirant

I have the same problem with my battery. Just noticed it this week. My nighthawk is just over one year old so I was told "sorry you are out of warranty- you should just buy a new nighthawk." I told the rep that I think buying a replacement battery might be cheaper and the rep just replied we dont sell parts but good luck to you...

Seriously not helpful advice/help from my cellular provider. Argh!

I agree, it concerns me as a possible fire risk. The nighthawk is in the center most point of my house which happens to be the top shelf of my 7 year old daughter's closet. I dont want to have a fire so I removed the battery and it is powered just by usb right now.

I will have to look for a new battery for it because i cant have it be usb only for power.

I noticed problems with the battery when i first bought it but my cellular provider kept dismissing my concerns as "normal" telling me that when its unplugged and operating on battery only that the 30 minutes or less for 100% to 0% battery is normal. I doubt that is true.
Message 9 of 10

mine will last 2 days on a full battery. When it had the battery swelling issue, it was pressing on the sim card and dropping out repeatedly then that would lead to rapid loss of charge. Your battery not charging correctly, holding charge or rapid discharge seems to be a major issue. Yes Lithium Ion Fe batteries are sealed, and the off gas as a side effect of the chemical reactions when charging and discharging. That gas swells the sealed wrapper. A few people have just pierced the wrapper. My understanding that the chemistry results in rapid oxidisation of the now exposed battery compounds and theyre somewhat corrosive. It also possible that thermal regulation across the battery also becomes problematic and has a higher chance of fire.

I went down to the local IT/computer store (not the cellular provider), and they got me a new genuine battery in a matter of two days for around AU$79. I'm sure theyd be cheaper in the US or UK. I need battery as my nighthawk goes everywhere with me, but Ive got a portable battery pack that I can plug it into if needs be.

Apart form the issues with the batteries, they seem to be a decent little unit.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7