× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear Nighthawk M2 Firmware Download

GerardOz
Guide

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M2 Firmware Download

@W1lliam  How do you update yours thenas  its an AUS model, it will have been telstra originally and your in a different country as your on a Non-australian carrier?

Message 51 of 109
W1lliam
Virtuoso

not sure why, but when I clicked check firmware upgrade, it works when I was with carrier for non-Australian

Message 52 of 109
GerardOz
Guide

@W1lliam Ohh ok  so I get it now, whatever carrier you are on now with, its that carriers settings your getting from their Firmware which are different to Telstra here in Aus. So therefore you get the I.P. passthrough. The carrier your with must be selling the M2 also then, but you just have the Aus version. It must be unlocked too is it to work on that carrier?

Message 53 of 109
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks. The information is helpful.

Regards

@KrzysztofKarol wrote:

If that helps:

Firmware Check
does not work with digitec (Sunrise)
works with Salt

Firmware Version: NTGX24_10.17.01.00

Model: MR2100|Mobiler Router Nighthawk M2
Message 54 of 109
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@gavrook wrote:
Firmware screenshot

Did you try to access and set up IP passthrough using WebUI by visiting 19.2.168.1.1?  This should be supported.

Thanks

Message 55 of 109
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Gerald,

IP passthrough is supported on both M1 and M2. So you can buy either of them.

Thanks

John

@GerardOz wrote:

@JohnPeng wrote:

@gavrook wrote:
Hi, my device is still on firmware NTGX24_10.13.05.00 with PRI Version 02.10

Seems like you are using a Telstra MR2100. We have submit the new release to Telstra last week for approval. The upgrade will be posted in next couple of weeks if Telstra can finish the test on time.

Thanks

John

@JohnPeng 
Hi John,

I am about to buy an M2 off Telstra Australia, and will need to use Nertgear orbi or a Mesh wifi set up of some sort to extend the wifi range. All the forums are saying that the IP Passthrough is disabled in Telstra supplied M2's in the software. Mention is made of this changing in an upocoming firmware update, Is this true have they switched that function back on again ? It is impossible to contact Telstra technical due to Covid 19 now.

Or I can get an as new M1 secondhand and apparently I.P. Passthrough could be done on this model with telstra but then people reported on forums that they did one update and lost the function after that rendering the unit useless for their purpose. But that it was meant to be re-activated in a later update. The M1 will be fine for my requirements but I'm having a real hard time of finding  out the facts on this.

Do you know about this?

Cheers.

Regards,

Gerard.

Message 56 of 109
GerardOz
Guide

@JohnPeng 

Carrier issues here in Aus John, telstra has the function disabled in their firmware

Message 57 of 109
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@GerardOz wrote:

@JohnPeng 

Carrier issues here in Aus John, telstra has the function disabled in their firmware

We have engineers in Australia. I will let him to check an comment on this topic.

Thanks

Message 58 of 109
gavrook
Guide

Hi John, yes as per the screenshot of the web interface the option is just not there at all. I have tried on PC too and it's no different.
Message 59 of 109
W1lliam
Virtuoso

@GerardOz wrote:

@W1lliam Ohh ok  so I get it now, whatever carrier you are on now with, its that carriers settings your getting from their Firmware which are different to Telstra here in Aus. So therefore you get the I.P. passthrough. The carrier your with must be selling the M2 also then, but you just have the Aus version. It must be unlocked too is it to work on that carrier?

OTA server should be still hosted by Telstra, even if the unit is with the SIM from other carrier. It might be caused by lock/unlock difference for this IP Passthrough function disabled.

Message 60 of 109
gavrook
Guide

Just to be sure I did another factory reset as it's been a while, no difference.
Message 61 of 109
Söldier
Aspirant

Hi, how do we get the device's json file?

I am also on firmware NTGX24_10.13.05.00 using a Telstra branded device. I am using a non-Telstra SIM Card and cannot get any further updates. Looks like this firmware was released in May 2019 - so it is quite old.

I can confirm that I have the IP Passthrough option but I am not using it at the moment as my new router doesnt seem to like the setting. It was working with my previous Airport Extreme router.

Thanks

Message 62 of 109
W1lliam
Virtuoso

Assume your M2’s IP Address is 192.168.1.1, http://192.168.1.1/model.json would retrieve this json file via Browser.
Message 63 of 109
Söldier
Aspirant

Thanks. 

is NTGX24_10.13.05.00 the most recent for the Telstra branded devices?

i know that the firmware updates are always at the mercy of the carriers vetting and approving them first.

Message 64 of 109
W1lliam
Virtuoso

NTGX24_10.13.05.00 is the latest FW you can get via OTA, new FW is on its own way for release but no ETA so far
Message 65 of 109
Söldier
Aspirant

Is there any other option other than OTA? There is no 'upload' file/offline update section in the firmware updates of my device.

Telstra may never even release the fimware even though it seems like it has been flagged as critical by Netgear.

Message 66 of 109
DrEvilJim
Aspirant

hi William, can you please confirm you have inbound port forwarding working on your M2 with that firmware version?

Cheers, Jim.

Message 67 of 109
W1lliam
Virtuoso

Am not using port forwarding here but I can try during the weekend, stay tuned.
Message 68 of 109
W1lliam
Virtuoso

@DrEvilJim wrote:

hi William, can you please confirm you have inbound port forwarding working on your M2 with that firmware version?

Cheers, Jim.

With NTGX24_10.13.05.00 FW, AUS version does not have Port Forwarding function provided.

Message 69 of 109
color_8
Aspirant

@JohnPeng any news for the firmware update issue?

Message 70 of 109
DrEvilJim
Aspirant

unfortunately no. netgear will not fix this fault. the new M3 is coming out soon.

Message 71 of 109
ra11
Aspirant

so whats the latest firmware for this device? I have an unlocked UK EE unit on 10.13.09 - works ok but upload speeds dont compare to my old M1 unit. also are there new capabilities such as DDNS on latest firmware perhaps? mines dated May 2019....

Message 72 of 109
smiff1985
Initiate

Hi, I'm in the UK on EE with the following:

Firmware: NTGX24_10.13.09.00

Firmware build date: 2019/05/17

PRI: 03.01

Modem: SDX_10.21.01.01

Can you confirm if this is the latest firmare for this device please? I'd be surprised if it is. Main reason I ask is that I get the reboot issue/bootloop issue on occasion (plugged into USB-C charger, no battery inserted). It's a little bit frustrating really and I want to get this resolved or the device needs to go back.

Thanks very much.

Message 73 of 109
W1lliam
Virtuoso

@smiff1985 wrote:

Hi, I'm in the UK on EE with the following:

Firmware: NTGX24_10.13.09.00

Firmware build date: 2019/05/17

PRI: 03.01

Modem: SDX_10.21.01.01

Can you confirm if this is the latest firmare for this device please? I'd be surprised if it is. Main reason I ask is that I get the reboot issue/bootloop issue on occasion (plugged into USB-C charger, no battery inserted). It's a little bit frustrating really and I want to get this resolved or the device needs to go back.

Thanks very much.

@smiff1985 you'd better to check if your charger supports QC3.0, especially on its rated 5V current number.

Message 74 of 109
smiff1985
Initiate

Are you suggesting that I'm not supplying enough power? I very much doubt that is the issue I'm afraid.

First, I often use the official charger and cable. I'm not checking anything further on that as it's Netgear's own.

I've tried it in various combinations with other chargers.

All my other chargers support either or both QC and USB-PD.

It's important to note that the official Netgear charger is a USB-A (wall plug end) to USB-C (M2 end). This charger only outputs at 2.0A at 5V, so the device doesn't require more than 10W. I use a USB-C to USB-C power point in my car which charges all my USB-C/lightning phones rapidly via USB-PD as I use an 18W output charger (Pixel 3 / iPhone XR / iPhone 11). So I doubt it's that either.

And judging from this forum I don't think I'm unique in the issues I'm facing. There's a whole thread on reboot issues with the M2. When it doesn't reboot, it works really damn well. My main issue is that it's really unreliable.

Message 75 of 109
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7