× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear Nighthawk M2 USB Media Storage

Beetroot_48
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk M2 USB Media Storage

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has found a work around or a contradiction in the user manual for the Nighthawk MR2100 for USB multimedia use. I was hoping to be able to use mine to stream photos/videos/music from a USB storage device to WiFi connected devices with the device plugged into wall outlet and no battery inserted (as recommended in the manual). I'll say now, yes the multimedia streaming does work, but in order to have it work, you have to have the battery inserted and either running just off battery power or plugged in to the wall outlet with the battery inserted (and likely charging/overcharging/failing due to constant recharging). Has anyone seen any reference to this requirement in the manual that I am missing? The manual states on page 26:

"If you connect your mobile router to a power adapter that supports Quick Charge 2.0

or 3.0, you can remove the battery. We recommend operating without the battery in

applications where the mobile router is used for extended periods, such as using the

mobile router as a fixed router."

In manual chapter 7 - Share Media and Storage, page 66 it states:

"You must use the power supply when you connect the USB device to the router"

So Netgear, you state that I can remove the battery and you recommend it when using the device as a fixed router and later in the manual I am  told that I need to use the power supply when connecting the USB device to the router but there is no mention of needing the battery inserted. Any thoughts / Ideas?

Cheers,

Bryant

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M2 USB Media Storage

Hi @3lad3 ,

It is fine to keep the battery plugged in whilst using the wall adapter.  We recommend to remove battery if it is prolonged use.  In your case where you need MyMedia access I would suggest removing the battery periodically for a few hours just to cool it down(i.e fortnightly or quartely).  The firmware has smarts to trickle charge when battery is 100% charged but if the device or battery is constantly running hot(due to heavy usage) then it will never get a chance to charge.  This is why I suggest removing the battery periodically.

Arodi

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
3lad3
Aspirant

Hey Bryant, did you have any success with this? I’ve just bought an m2 and am finding the media doesn’t work without the battery too.
Thanks
Gav
Message 2 of 6
Beetroot_48
Aspirant

Hi Gav,
No luck from either Netgear or Telstra on this.
I spoke to two Telstra ‘Tech bar’ people, neither of them even knew it was a feature. I quickly directed them the the Netgear device brochure which clearly states it is and both back pedalled stating that they hadn’t been trained in the device...When quizzed about running the device on mains with a full battery charge and Netgears statement about the device containing smart charge features to prevent swelling, both Telstra employees advised against running the device on mains with a fully charged battery due to swelling risk as they were not aware of Netgear fixing the problems with the MR1100 battery’s.
I’d just like to know from Netgear if the new firmware had a change to now support USB operation from wall outlet only or if the device hardware is the limiting feature
Message 3 of 6
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Beetroot_48 ,

MyMedia and Jump Boost features are disabled when no battery operation is in use.  When you unlock the screen you will see an alert advising that these features cannot be used during no battery operation.  To use those features a battery must be inserted.

Regards,

Arodi

Community Team

Message 4 of 6
3lad3
Aspirant

Thanks Bryant.  I've updated to the latest, and it's still the same.

Arodi, thanks for the reply to the thread.  Given that media access is a feature I'd need constant access to, then we need to keep the battery in and plugged in to power 100% of the time then too.  I'd then assume that the battery is fine with this setup then given that's our only option?

Message 5 of 6
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @3lad3 ,

It is fine to keep the battery plugged in whilst using the wall adapter.  We recommend to remove battery if it is prolonged use.  In your case where you need MyMedia access I would suggest removing the battery periodically for a few hours just to cool it down(i.e fortnightly or quartely).  The firmware has smarts to trickle charge when battery is 100% charged but if the device or battery is constantly running hot(due to heavy usage) then it will never get a chance to charge.  This is why I suggest removing the battery periodically.

Arodi

Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7