× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Netgear Nighthawk MR1100-2A1NAS Firmware Update Error

rashers
Tutor

Hi @Blanca_O , you sent on my PM details to the team investigating a week ago. Any further update?

Message 26 of 51
FCB90
Star

Same problem here, it does not matter what SIM card is used.

I am asking Netgear Support for help.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 27 of 51
cdhuitt
Aspirant

I have an open case with Netgear support for a LONG time and have received no assistance from them.  They keep asking the same questions repeatedly (what is the SKU, model, what SIM card, etc?).  The last response I received was to "contact my ISP and have them update the firmware remotely".  I explained this was a gibberish statement and solutiuon and that the issue we are discussing is with a 4G LTE hotspot through AT&T.  Not a traditional network router connected to an ISP's service.  This has been extremely frustrating and making no forward progress on a resolution.

Message 28 of 51
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All, 

This has been brought up already to engineers. This was related to the changes made by AT&T that caused this issue. We are still waiting for an update form the certification team. We will let you know once we have update from them. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 29 of 51
jtsongas
Aspirant

So here is an awesome idea, since AT&T has managed to create a problem for doing firmware updates, why not give us the details of how to do the firmware update outside of AT&Ts control.  Surely there is a method to send the file via TFTP or some "special" admin web page on the device which can let us install the newer firmware.

Message 30 of 51
rashers
Tutor

Good news! Not sure what changed but the upgrade just worked for me - now at firmware 12.05.05.00! Give it a go. Please report in here if it still doesn't work for you.

Message 31 of 51
jtsongas
Aspirant

Sure enough!  Worked fine now and upgraded from 12.02.06 to 12.05.05.

Message 32 of 51
rashers
Tutor

Also, I'm guessing the reason most folks want the firmware upgrade us to try to get the new bands 14 & 46 (LAA) from AT&T. Make sure to update your Wifi settings under Wifi Profiles to 2.4G only as LAA doesn't work with 5.8 (it mentions this on the Profiles page). Enjoy your upgraded routers all.

Message 33 of 51
kwadguy
Guide

Finally!

Thanks for fixing whatever was broken!Screenshot_20190415-005702.png

Message 34 of 51
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Any thoughts on when NEW firmware ( > 12.05.05) is going to come out? This firmware is from Sept 2018 and the speeds are very poor compared to my iPhone XSM. Clearly there is something broken with regard to 3x CA, 256QAM, 4x4 MIMO, or some combination thereof.

Or do we have to wait until this Fall when the new MR2100 (Nighthawk M2 Mobile -- currently in AUS) is available here in the States?

Will it even be any faster, given how crippled the MR1100 clearly is?  Is this an FCC limitation or a firmware limitation?  Clearly the hardware (at least in AUS and EU) appears to have the potential to perform better than it does in the USA.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 35 of 51
cdhuitt
Aspirant

Something needs to be done as the performance is poor compared to a Verizon hotspot. I have watched Australia users with the MR1100 getting speeds of around 150-200 mbps. Same hardware so something is being throttled back somewhere in either the firmware or network.
Message 36 of 51
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

My personal best on the MR1100 (Gen1) is 110Mbit/s DL, but typically I see ~25 to 65 Mbit/s in most cases.  On my XSM, sitting right next to the MR1100, my personal best is 240Mbit/s, and I typically see 60-150Mbit/s.

Interesting AT&T us much faster (typically 2x to 3x) in the Philadelphia suburban market (a 5GE enabled market) compared with NJ where I live.  Only "LTE" in NJ, but as soon as I cross the bridge, LTE-A, cough, cough, I mean "5GE" (-:

What ever they call it, my XSM is very fast on AT&T 5GE in PA.  But neither of my hotspots (MR1100 & Velocity 2) is anywhere near as fast.  My ZTE Velocity 2 (AT&T branded) is almost as fast as the MR1100 in most cases (DL speeds), but the Velocity 2 often has better upload speeds.

Message 37 of 51
ivantam0903
Aspirant

I still cannot update my firmware. Anyone experienced the same as my case?
Message 38 of 51
kwadguy
Guide

Have you rebooted your router?

I couldn't update until I first rebooted. Then the update worked fine.
Message 39 of 51
sheldons65
Aspirant

Mine just updated about a week ago. Worked great. Thanks for whatever you did!

Message 40 of 51
Scottd9000
Tutor

Was anything else required to get the update to happen?  I have factory reset and rebooted several times but still says I am on the latest firmware (I am not).  I have tried with the ATT and a Verizon SIM. Getting slow speeds on both under 25mb next to a phone getting 150mb so I would like to upgrade.

12.02.06.01 Stuck

Message 41 of 51
sheldons65
Aspirant

It just showed up one day when I went to check for updates. I had not rebooted for a couple of weeks.

Message 42 of 51
Scottd9000
Tutor

Interesting.  I have had it on for 24 hours now and rebooted it a couple times.  Still nothing.  Do we know if there are any other factors it looks at before it starts the update?  Battery level, time of day etc?  I have it on external power now with no battery as a test.

Message 43 of 51
rashers
Tutor

I don't know the exact criteria but I would recommend battery in, charged > 80% and plugged into mains power also. I think it may only check every 24 hours too so give it a full day without clicking check as that may just update the "too soon" counter. Good luck! 🙂

Message 44 of 51
sheldons65
Aspirant

I haven't noticed any speed improvments after the upgrade. I get about 10mb download and 20 mb upload. But it works for me. 

Message 45 of 51
sheldons65
Aspirant

Mine did the software upgrade without the battery installed. 

Message 46 of 51
macmimy
Aspirant

same story got mine off ebay gets great speeds(150-200mbs) when it wants to buggy as can be netgear sent me to att they sent me back ,mine is doing all of the above and i've tried all of the above all i get is download starting at 0% and freezes sometimes errors out , weird thing is i put my crickett sim in and ip passthrough works doesnt at all for my at&t sim , im stuck at 10.20.05.02. also my friend has a unbranded mr1100 with a t-mobile sim it updated fine and works flawless at&t curses everything they touch lol

Message 47 of 51
davef314
Aspirant

I'm trying to purchase the MR1100-2A1NAS but can't find where to buy this specific unit.  Can you help point me to where you are buying these units.  I'm in the country outside Austin Tx.

Message 48 of 51
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Isn't the MR1100-2A1NAS just the regular retail version (Gen 2 with Band 14)?

These should be available from att.com., AT&T corporate stores, Best Buy, eBay, etc.  Is there something I'm missing?  I have the original MR1100-1A1NAS as I bought mine in March (of 2018) right before the secret roll out of the Gen2 unit.

What I want is the new MR2100 -- which hasn't been released in the USA, yet.

-Jonathan

Message 49 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7