× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: New Firmware -- AT&T USA

Rcracerg911
Aspirant

I was talk about the first case I mentioned ( you need to pull the battery out then back in to restart the unit) . Is this what you mean by “ manual reboot” ?
Message 26 of 33
UK-based
Luminary

@JSchnee21: I just like to thank you for your detailed and informative posts on this and other topics. You're clearly spending a lot of time doing research into the M1 and are very kindly sharing your findings with us. Keep up the good work - it's much appreciated Smiley Wink.

Message 27 of 33
nhantenna
Apprentice

March 28: "Regarding the discussion about automatic firmware updates.  I am in the United States using AT&T.  At this time my Nighthawk LTE hotspot has not automatically installed the March 2018 firmware.  I have not attempted to manually update the firmware yet."

Followup on my March 28 post.  As of today, April 5, my AT&T provided Nighthawk LTE hotspot running on AT&T cell network has NOT automatically installed the March 2018 firmware.  I would NOT expect it to without my permission.

Different Nighthawks from different providers on different cell networks are using different firmware.  That might explain why some Nighthawks are getting automatic firmware updates and some are not.

Message 28 of 33
nhantenna
Apprentice

I run my AT&T issued Nighthawk LTE hotspot WITHOUT a battery.  It's possible the automatic firmware update has not occurred on my Nighthawk because the battery is not present.

@JasonNdoes the Nighthawk LTE hotspot:

1) perform automatic firmware updates without user consent?

2) if yes, will automatic firmware updates occur without the battery installed?

3) with MANUAL firmware updates, will the update occur without the battery installed?

Message 29 of 33
nhantenna
Apprentice

Netgear moderator please respond to 2018-04-05 06:14 PM post.

Does the Nighthawk LTE hotspot:

3) with MANUAL firmware updates, will the update occur without the battery installed?

Message 30 of 33
nhantenna
Apprentice

@ArodiDplease respond to 2018-04-05 06:14 PM post.

Does the Nighthawk LTE hotspot:

Message 31 of 33
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @nhantenna,

This is only possible with carrier approval.  To date for Telstra Australia, we have not pushed out what we refer to as a critical update which does not require user interaction.  All updates so far are normal updates requiring user interaction and consent.  I say this from a MR1100-1TLAUS perspective.  Not sure about the AT&T SKU.

Yes, a critical update can occur if battery is not installed.  Ofcourse the device needs to be powered up via wall charger.

Yes.  Again, the device needs to be powered up via wall charger.

Kind Regards,

ArodiD

Message 32 of 33
shizam76
Aspirant

@ArodiD

Did you see my post in the other thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/Nighthawk-LTE-hotspot-automatic-firm...

This is about the automatic updates that ARE occurring when the battery is OUT of the unit, causing the unit to freak out and not function?  I have to add that I just last night....logged in to the user interface in a web browser and rebooted the unit, and it does the same thing.  I had to unplug the unit and plug it back in for it to come back up on a reboot from the UI.

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7