× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: NightHawk

byronjay
Aspirant

NightHawk

I was away for the night and forgot my power adapter for my Nighthawk MR1100 mobile broadband router and so figured 5v was 5v and plugged the USB plug into my iPhone 4 power adapter USB-out and now the Nighthawk has stopped booting up.

Now I review the adapters with a magnifying glass I can see the iPhone power pack is 2A output and the Nighthawk adapter is 1A. 

It does start up (after clicking the button several times before holding) with a flashing display that shows an empty horizontal bar at the top and under that an empty battery icon with charge lightning bolt icon and under that a clock face icon. See attached screenshot.

While the display flashes the red/blue indicator light flashes blue/red/blue quickly at the same time. The flashing can only be stopped by removing the battery.

Is there a manual reset for the device? Have I just burned out the battery and that can be replaced? Or have I burned out the charging circuit in the router and need a whole new router?

Thanks

Jay

Message 1 of 10

@byronjay wrote:

Now I review the adapters with a magnifying glass I can see the iPhone power pack is 2A output and the Nighthawk adapter is 1A. 

"Too many" amps should not matter. One fly in the ointment is that these things are increasingly "intelligent". But the device is supposed to take what it needs. Too few would be a bigger issue. But even that should not be a killer.

But what about the +/- polarity?

Apple is notoriously "individual" in its standards. Maybe it uses opposite polarity from Netgear.

Did the thing work OK with the iPhone adapter?

Message 2 of 10
myersw
Master

Last I knew USB was USB as far as voltage pin out so as long as the cable for the router was used plugged into the Apple power brick things should just work. As said, the router should not care about more current available, it will only use what it needs. If you were to put an inline current meter in between the router and power brick you would find that the router is not pulling 1 amp from the OEM brick. 

Have used Apple power bricks on lots of non Apple devices, such as Android tablets. 

Message 3 of 10

There is a lot more these days to USB charging than USB is USB. What about 5 volt and 9 volt devices?

In the case of the MR1100, the manual says: 

"Quick Charge 2.0–enabled devices must be paired with Quick Charge 2.0–certified adapters."

I have no idea how this ties in with Apple's technology.

The manual also says:

"Use only approved batteries in the device."

That suggests that you can indeed replace the battery.

The first message asked?

Is there a manual reset for the device? Have I just burned out the battery and that can be replaced?

There is support for the MR1100, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> MR1100 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

The answer to those questions is probably in the section To perform a factory reset using the Reset button

Message 4 of 10
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward

Never saw a 9 volt USB device. Is there such a thing? To the best of knowledge all USB is 5 volt. Hope 9 Volt is not entering into the mix for USB. 

Message 5 of 10

I have a Netgear charger.

Input     100-240V

Output  5V 1.8A

Or  9V 1.1A

It is the Quick Charge thing from Qualcomm.

Quick Charge - Wikipedia

Message 6 of 10
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

I have a Netgear charger.

Input     100-240V

Output  5V 1.8A

Or  9V 1.1A

It is the Quick Charge thing from Qualcomm.

Quick Charge - Wikipedia

@michaelkenward

Had never seen that. 

Well this 83 year old has learned something new today. 😉 I try to keep up with tech as that has been my life since hiring in with IBM in 1961 and working on mainframes. Retired with a buy out and joined a network group supporting over 100 hospitals coast to coast. All tied to the central data center. You learn fast that doctors get very cranky if they cannot access info in the centalized database. 😉 Really no downtime allowed. Retired from there in 2013.

Message 7 of 10
byronjay
Aspirant

Thanks for your replies. Tried reset button but of course it has to be on for that and now it doesn't seem to even start with that basic alert icon in the display (see original attached pic) and my Australian ISP 'Telstra' says "take it to one of our shops for evaluation"... annoying because that's a 2hr return drive... and I'm sure they will just say "it's dead - buy a new one". 

Nothing in the manual about spurious display alerts like that... nothing on the web. 

But still the question begs - why?? If an Apple charger adapter is just 5v then what happened? Oh well. May never know. 

Can only hope the battery has faulted but why would it start initially with the alert on the display... to tell me it's 'broken'?? None of it makes sense. Bummer.

Thanks

Message 8 of 10
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

As others have said, USB can be either 5V or 9+ volts depending on whether it is regular or QuickCharge.  But either way the MR1100 supports both.  I routinely use QC2/3 to charge mine using an Anker charger.  I also use my Anker charger and/or laptop to charge it at 5V as well.

Though I have never tried to charge my MR1100 with an Apple charger (I have many -- but don't typically use them) I have used apple chargers in the past to run other 5V USB equipment without an issue.

I think the failure of your MR1100 is just an unfortunate coincidence.  Or your apple charger has failed/arc'ed/shorted in some way.

Have you tried running the MR1100 without the battery at all?  Mine starts right up when the power is applied via USB-C.  By all means try to reset it (internal buttom by SIM -- hold it down with paperclip as you apply power).  Keep it down for 10-20 seconds.  Then remove paperclip while keeping power applied.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 9 of 10

@JSchnee21 wrote:

I think the failure of your MR1100 is just an unfortunate coincidence.  Or your apple charger has failed/arc'ed/shorted in some way.

This is more likely than many people think. When something goes wrong it is easy to blame the nearest thing.

If it was just a coincidence, then it might be worth investigating the warranty route, if, that is, it still applies.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7