× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router Model MR1100 factory unlocked for any GSM provider

khairymadhoon
Aspirant

Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router Model MR1100 factory unlocked for any GSM provider

Hello,

I would like to ask the Netgear developer if the Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router Model MR1100 will be available for retail so we can use any GSM SIM Card worldwide,

I do appreciate your prompt response.

Best regards,

Khairy

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Re: Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router Model MR1100 factory unlocked for any GSM provider

Hi,

Retail model launch is February.  Please just do Google search MR1100-100EUS and you may find some shops which allow pre-ordering.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13

All Replies
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Hi,

Retail model launch is February.  Please just do Google search MR1100-100EUS and you may find some shops which allow pre-ordering.

Message 2 of 13
khairymadhoon
Aspirant

Thanks Tee.
Message 3 of 13
UK-based
Luminary

Does that mean that firmware updates for the MR1100 will be made available for "manual" download from the Netgear site, TeeJay74, so that people can update their MR1100 whenever they want, instead of having to rely on auto-updates?

Message 4 of 13
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

I think OTA is going to be the only way.

Message 5 of 13
UK-based
Luminary

How do you think that will work in practice? What about the situation where someone buys an M1 in the UK and then wants to use it in the States - would the M1 update its firmware to match the SIM card/carrier being used? Would this mean every time a SIM card is changed, a firmware update might be needed?

Message 6 of 13
khairymadhoon
Aspirant

I read an article that at the CES electronics trade fair in Las Vegas, it’s said that the MR1100 Nighthawk M1 will be available in Germany in March 2018, and it’s probably without network operator branding and therefore without a SIM lock.
Message 7 of 13
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Probably it may not work in any way, between UK and States. AT&T version of MR1100 specs:

http://www.netgear.com/images/Landings/Nighthawk-MR1100-Mobile-Router/AT-T-MR1100-Datasheet.pdf

Differences with supported LTE bands, so US-model WTR-chip version may be different compared to EU-version and different software too.

Message 8 of 13
UK-based
Luminary

Wstyle1, it seems you must be a sales person for 4gltemall dot com - you've posted nearly 300 replies, most of which contain links to that site and add very little useful information to discussions. It's a pity when people misuse community forums in this way.

Message 9 of 13
Ni_co_las
Aspirant

Can any one from NETGEAR confirm your statement. Currently I would like to buy the EUS version (SIM unlocked) and use it during my trip in the US (using a US SIM Card). If there are different firmware for each version of the M1 limiting its use over the world it would be a pity at least for the unlock version. Thank you.
Message 10 of 13
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi khairymadhoon & Ni_co_las,

It will depend on which provider model you have for the M1 and also if your device is unlocked.

Please let me know. :]

- Jason N

Message 11 of 13
Ni_co_las
Aspirant

Hi JasonN, I will use the MR1100 version EUS (no SIM lock, http://www.netgear.fr/home/products/mobile-broadband/mobilerouters/M1.aspx) and I intend to buy either a AT&T or VERIZON or T-Mobile SIM card (prepaid without plan) during my trip in the US. The point is that the EUS version datasheet does not list all the applicable US Band and I just would like to know if the datasheet is given according to the country where you by the MR1100 but the MR1100 can nevertheless proper function in another country using all the Bands without restrictions due o e.g. firmware Here is the definition of the Frequency given in the datasheet depending on the version - MR 1100 EUS: 700/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz - MR1100 US: 700/800/1700/1900/2100/2300/2500 MHz Thank you. Nicolas
Message 12 of 13
JSchnee21
Virtuoso

Hello @Ni_co_las,

I suspect your EUS MR1100 will work just fine.  The hotspot is, in reality, no different than a modern multiband phone.  The Qualcomm x16 modem and RF headend is the best in the world.  This is the same modem found in nearly every higher end mobile phone across the world.  The French website you listed, shows the frequencies the MR1100 supports.  This lines up very nicely with what is used in the USA.  Recently, with the widespread use of LTE, we've stopped referrencing the underlying frequencies as it just got to be too cluttered and confusing for most end users.  

Here is the band to frequency mapping for carriers in the USA

https://www.signalbooster.com/pages/what-are-the-cellular-frequencies-of-cell-phone-carriers-in-usa-...

You may or may not have issues getting the MR1100 to work on Tmo or Verizon.  Tmo uses some "less standard" frequency arrangements (ex. "flipped" transmit/receive blocks)  and has somewhat more urban focused coverage map. Verizon's frequency allocations and coverage areas more are similar to AT&T which officially offers the MR1100 but they still use some CDMA as well and offer no 3G/4G -- only LTE.  Neither Tmo nor Verizon officially offer for sale or provide tech support for the MR1100

I have a USA version (AT&T) unlocked MR1100 and when I do a manual carrier scan, I can see AT&T, Tmo, and Verizon.  AT&T claims I can roam just fine to Europe with my device, though I have not yet tried.  One thing to keep in mind, you may have to manually enter the "APN" for your carrier when you insert your pre-paid SIM.  I found that when I tried using my Tmo SIM in my MR1100 the APN did not update (it stayed on the AT&T setting).

So, if possible, I would suggest an AT&T pre-paid SIM for your hotspot -- assuming they sell such a thing.  I'm a post-paid AT&T customer.

-Jonathan

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7