× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk LTE hotspot + automatic firmware nightmare

shizam76
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk LTE hotspot + automatic firmware nightmare

To be exact, what is the firmware fixing? It will no longer do updates on its own?
Message 26 of 42
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi shizam76, 

May I please know the behavior of the device when you try to update the firmware?

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 27 of 42
shizam76
Aspirant

@Blanca_O Do you want me to update it with the battery OUT of the unit...which is how I have been running the unit?  Or do you want the battery in the unit?  I assume you want it out?

Message 28 of 42
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi shizam76, 

Kind;y update the firmware with the battery out of the unit. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 29 of 42
nhantenna
Apprentice

@Blanca_O The new firmware did NOT fix the issue.  The new firmware causes the EXACT problems stated in the original post.  It has now been 76 days since this issue was reported without any technical response from Netgear.  Pushing yet another automatic firmware that trashes our Nighthawks without warning is NOT a technical response.

Message 30 of 42
nhantenna
Apprentice

@Blanca_O states: "Please log into the MR1100 UI and check for an update to get the latest firmware."

Just for clarity....the firmware is automatically installed without warning and without user intervention.  The firmware fails to install and the nighthawk is taken offline.  There is no way for Nighthawk owners to opt out of this automatic firmware install.

Message 31 of 42
nhantenna
Apprentice

@JasonN @Blanca_O

Firmware levels on my Nighthawk:

Hardware Version = 1.0

PRI Version = 02.15

Firmware Version = NTG9X50C_12.02.06.01

Bootloader Version = NTG9X50C_12.02.06.01

GUI Version = MR1HDATA_04.01.55.02

Firmware Build Date = 2018/06/07

Message 32 of 42
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi nhantenna, 

Thank you for providing the requested information. Let me check this with the team. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 33 of 42
UK-based
Luminary

@nhantenna @Blanca_O @shizam76 @JasonN: I reported the same problem back in January in this post. As you'll see, I found that I needed the battery installed for the automated firmware update to proceed. On Friday (6th July 2018) the same thing happened again. I lost internet connection via my Ethernet connection to the M1 (with intermediate Ethernet switch) and when I investigated this, I found that the M1 had no blue or amber flashing LED - it appeared to be down. I tried tapping the power button to no effect. I removed the power cable (USB C to Anker QC 3.0 charger) and then plugged it back in. The M1 LCD screen indicated that there was an update in progress, displaying a progress bar. Seconds later, the M1 went dead again. Having experienced this behaviour previously (see above linked post), I put the battery back into the M1 - this was already charged to around 80%. The LCD screen then displayed the update in progress message with progress bar. The latter didn't move smoothly - between intervals of what seemed like minutes, it jumped to new positions. The M1 appeared to reboot a couple of times and finally, the progress bar reached 100% and the upgrade was successful.

My provider is EE in the UK. The updated firmware and bootloader are now NTG9X50C_12.04.02.0.0 with a build date of 2018/06/07. The GUI is now MR1100-100EUS_04.01.67.00. The new features include the option to disable Ethernet Standby, which would otherwise occur after 2 minutes of Ethernet inactivity. Arlo support is also added.

Prior to the update, my firmware was NTG9X50C_10.22.03.00 with a build date of 22nd Nov 2017. Comparing these version numbers, it looks like EE customers in the UK have probably missed out on a few intervening firmware updates, but it's impossible to know exactly what's going on because Netgear still haven't bothered to publish change logs / update histories to support their customers more effectively, as I requested back in January in this post. So much user frustration could be avoided by COMMUNICATING with your customers in an upfront, timely manner - tell people what you're about to do and give precise details of what bugs have been fixed and what new features have been implemented. This will inevitably result in happier customers and increased sales. It's a no-brainer - I'm just astounded that you aren't getting this message NETGEAR.

Message 34 of 42
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

All known problems now fixed with latest firmware 12.04.02.00, PRI 04.03. EU-version users should get this update early next week, hopefully on Monday. I see this very important update.

Message 35 of 42
UK-based
Luminary

Thanks TeeJay74 for that reassurance. The firmware update that occurred on Friday in my M1 is 12.04.02.00 but the PRI version is 03.03. Does this mean that there will be another firmware update next week, possibly tomorrow?

While it's reassuring to be told that all known problems are fixed, you appear to be in a priviledged position, doing test work for Netgear and probably being made aware of all current issues and fixes. The general public are sadly not kept informed of upcoming and past bug fixes and also new features. As I've said in a previous post, we're treated by Netgear as mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed on you know what...

Message 36 of 42
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

I think that awful automatic update feature is now removed too.

Message 37 of 42
UK-based
Luminary

If the automatic firmware update has been removed @TeeJay74, wouldn't one expect to see downloadable firmware in the Netgear Download section? When I select my device in the drop-down list (MR1100 (EE) — Nighthawk M1 Mobile Broadband Router / MR1100EE), it states "Firmware/Software not available for this model."

Message 38 of 42
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

I meant that power button press logic that starts device firmware update process(almost automatically). That feature did not work the proper way.

Message 39 of 42
UK-based
Luminary

@TeeJay74: you didn't answer my question about the fact that my recently auto-updated firmware is 12.04.02.00, PRI 03.03, not PRI 04.03 as you stated. Firstly what does PRI stand for? Product Release Information, Pre-Release Indication, ...? Is my firmware likely to update again next week to PRI 04.03?

Message 40 of 42
nhantenna
Apprentice

@Blanca_O I am following up on this thread.  This thread is 91 days old without any technical response from Netgear.  Please escalate.

Message 41 of 42
nhantenna
Apprentice

@Blanca_O I am following up on this thread.  This thread is 100 days old without any technical response from Netgear.  At this point we will assume we have a defective Nighthawk.  Can we exchange our Nighthawk at our AT&T brick and mortar store?

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7